PDA

View Full Version : A Do-over

bob svoboda
06-22-2010, 12:27 PM
I started turning a little over a year ago. Soon after starting, I tried a NE bowl from some maple. I was afraid to get too thin and had no idea how to reverse it as you can see. I threw it in a cupboard and just recently took it out to have another go at it. Still far from perfect, but IMO much better. It's about 5" wide and 4" tall. DO and buffed.

Tony De Masi
06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Much better for sure Bob. How did you end up reversing it to finish the bottom? Just curious as there are more than a couple of strategies there.

Tony

bob svoboda
06-22-2010, 2:01 PM
Much better for sure Bob. How did you end up reversing it to finish the bottom? Just curious as there are more than a couple of strategies there.

Tony
Thanks Tony. I reversed it using a vacuum chuck-first use of that system and it worked great.

Thom Sturgill
06-22-2010, 2:13 PM
Major improvement. Those vacuum chucks are great aren't they?

John Keeton
06-22-2010, 2:27 PM
Obviously a vacuum chuck is in my future!! I gotta get past the hit from the hollowing rig first!

Bob, you ended up with a much improved piece - aren't you glad you kept it?

Roger Chandler
06-22-2010, 2:37 PM
Obviously a vacuum chuck is in my future!! I gotta get past the hit from the hollowing rig first!

Bob, you ended up with a much improved piece - aren't you glad you kept it?

John,
I have 2 things that are important to me for purchase, and I cannot decide for sure which will come first, a Trend Airshield Pro, or a Vacuum chuck system from Tom at JT Turning tools.

I really want both, and am leaning to the Vacuum chuck first, because I have a dust collection hood set up behind my lathe, and have an overhead air cleaner just above, and I always wear a NIOSH approved dust mask underneath my face shield anyway, so I think I am pretty close on the dust issue, but a Trend Airshield Pro, would just put that about a good as it gets.

The vacuum chuck would allow me to do a lot more kinds of turnings such as natural edge,etc, but I do have cole jaws and could use jam chucks..........decisions, decisions :confused:

What would you do first? others feel free to chime in, cause I am looking for things I am missing in the thought process.....

Steve Schlumpf
06-22-2010, 2:50 PM
Bob - big improvement and well worth the effort!

Roger - suggest you start a new thread to gather input on your question. It will get buried in Bob's thread and lost to any others having the same questions.

John Hart
06-22-2010, 2:50 PM
Nicely done Bob. Ain't it something what difference a year makes? :)

Roger Chandler
06-22-2010, 3:05 PM
Bob - big improvement and well worth the effort!

Roger - suggest you start a new thread to gather input on your question. It will get buried in Bob's thread and lost to any others having the same questions.

Thanks Steve, will start new thread

bob svoboda
06-22-2010, 3:27 PM
Nicely done Bob. Ain't it something what difference a year makes? :)
John. You Sho got that right!! Might be fun for those brave enough to post their VERY first attempts (those that aren't ash on the bottom of a fireplace)

John Hart
06-22-2010, 3:56 PM
John. You Sho got that right!! Might be fun for those brave enough to post their VERY first attempts (those that aren't ash on the bottom of a fireplace)

Heh heh...That's funny.
Ya know...two days ago, I went up into the loft above my shop to look for a piece of cedar, and I found 4 or 5 old turnings of mine that I wouldn't use for a paint bucket. (sheesh..some of the cracks were so bad that I couldn't if I wanted to)

Anyway...I went on The Creek to find the original posts for those pieces.
:eek: EEEK!!!! :eek:

I should take pictures of them now...and show the pictures from 5 years ago. (if I'm brave enough)
....or maybe I'll just make some ashes. :);)

David E Keller
06-22-2010, 5:35 PM
That's fun... Amazing what a difference a year makes, huh? Your form and finish are greatly improved. Keep up the good work.

Ray Bell
06-22-2010, 7:24 PM
The end product, even if it took a year, is very nice Bob, and worthy of the signature on the bottom.