PDA

View Full Version : Citric Acid CHEAP (for de-rusting tools)

Tom LaRussa
11-29-2004, 10:48 PM
We discussed this a few weeks ago and I just stumbled across a really cheap source for this stuff.

http://www.naturesoils.com/soaps/citric.htm

Dan Moening
11-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Refresh my memory:

Citric Acid would be used in lieu of Phosphoric Acid, yes?

As a "non-toxic" alternative?

Pricing sure looks good..

Tom LaRussa
11-30-2004, 6:53 PM
Refresh my memory:
Citric Acid would be used in lieu of Phosphoric Acid, yes?
As a "non-toxic" alternative?
Pricing sure looks good..
Yep. As a non-toxic but (apparently) pretty slow alternative to harsher acids.

I'm also thinking about trying it as an adjunct to electrolysis, i.e., using an acidic rather than a base(?) solution. My theory -- which may or may not hold water -- is that this should make electrolysis even faster and more thorough. I'm not exactly confident in this though, so I'll try it on a piece of scrap something before subjecting a tool to it. :o

I bought 5 lbs of citric acid from that site, so I can do a lot of experimenting. (I also bought some curry powder, masala, and mulling spices, but those are for a different type of experimentation. :D)

Gene Collison
11-30-2004, 7:19 PM
We discussed this a few weeks ago and I just stumbled across a really cheap source for this stuff.

http://www.naturesoils.com/soaps/citric.htm

If your looking for something pretty good for derusting and killing the rust, try Metalprep 79, available at automobile paint shops. If you want acid, try a camera store and get photgraphic stop bath which is acetic acid. If you want a stronger version of stop bath, you can buy Glacial acetic acid which is concentrated. Metalprep works well without being super toxic.:):)

Gene

Keith Christopher
11-30-2004, 11:06 PM
you can also coat candies with citric acid and make them yummy sour !

Dan Moening
12-01-2004, 10:02 AM
...and mulling spices...
Just in time.
Red zinger tea, apple cider, spice and a bit of rum... ;)

I'm curious to hear how the experiment with electrolysis and citric acid goes...please post your findings...

Gene - Metalprep 79 sounds OK...may give that a try.

Keith - I may have finally reached the "over-the-hill" stage :o cause that entire sour-candy craze isn't to my likeing...my kids love it though.