PDA

View Full Version : Chuck envy

Joe Judge
11-29-2004, 8:00 PM
I have been envying those with chucks.
Then, my wife said: 'What would you like for Xmas?'

So, I'm researching chucks. Can you tell me a bit about chucks, types, costs, brands, etc. that might help me choose one?

-- joe
I am: new wood turner, been turning pens/bowls/ornaments, and own a Rockwell 46-111 wood lathe ... and I'm cheap :-)

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-29-2004, 8:17 PM
Without any more information from you, I would say the best, most cost effective chuck is the Talon. The Best ever is the Stronghold, but expensive.

Bruce

Gary Max
11-29-2004, 8:26 PM
Joe I just went though this myself. I found the two companies that made the best selling pro chucks. Teknatool---SuperNova and Oneway --Talon. I looked for months and ran into the SuperNova last week on sale for $175.00. I bought it as a matter of fact it's still sitting on my desk.
I am trying to get a couple of things done in the shop before I get back to turning bowls.
I am sure there are others out there but these two seemed the best.
Oh because I mentioned buying one---Pic is required by the Police:D

Ted Shrader
11-29-2004, 9:18 PM
Joe -

Another vote for the Talon. Various acessory jaws are available to hold different sized pieces.

Just finished running off a couple of wooden pulls (knobs) with mine.

Ted

John Shuk
11-29-2004, 9:58 PM
I don't know the budget but I bought a SuperNova from KMS tools on Ebay (they have their own site as well) and could not have gotten more for the money. I priced everything I got from them at other sources and it was all in the $500 PLUS range. From KMS it was $300. Shipping was fast and they now have the Suprnova2 which looks really nice. I would say that the Oneways chucks are nicer than my original Supernova but I made out like a fat rat and have accessories that I would otherwise try to do without rather than spend the money. Just my 2 cents worth.
I have no affiliation just liked there price AND service.

Craig Fyock
11-29-2004, 10:09 PM
A friend and I both bought a PSI Import chuck. I might as well have thrown $80.00 out my truck window as I drove down the Freeway. I couldn't get it to hold. Everytime you turned around (No pun intended) you were having to re-chuck the piece because it was loose or worse it would throw the piece across the shop. After a week of this I bought the Oneway Talon and have never looked back. I have even hung a tool pretty good and not knocked it off center (external clamping). Neither Art nor I have any enemies we are willing to give the PSI chucks to. Figured I'd wait and use it on the trot line this summer.

Craig Fyock
11-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Sorry forgot. The one I got was around 200.00 w/1 set of jaws

Jim Ketron
11-30-2004, 12:34 AM
I have the Talon it has worked very well for me!
Jim

Andy London
11-30-2004, 5:09 AM
I to have the Talon and have nothing but great comments on it.

Andy

David LaRue
11-30-2004, 7:30 AM
Who do you recommned as a source for the Oneway Talon chucks?

John Shuk
11-30-2004, 8:49 PM
You can buy oneway products right from them I think the site is WWW.ONEWAY.CA Their service is as good as their tools.

Mark Stutz
11-30-2004, 10:36 PM
Joe,
It may seem trivial, but the two brands require different tenons. The Technatool ones, Nova and Supernova use dovetailed tenons and the Oneway use straight tenons. I had a chance to try both at a class, and preferred the straight one. MHO, and it may not matter to you, but for some it is a consideration.

Mark

Jim Becker
12-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Talon is also my recommendation...and I prefer the straight jaws of the OneWay over the dovetail jaws on the new SuperNova II (and SuperNova). As to where to buy, there are plenty of sources, but I most often by OneWay accessories directly from OneWay. No shipping cost and good service.

Jim Young
12-01-2004, 2:05 PM
I've seen this a couple of times now, people prefering the straight tennon. Why? Wouldn't the dovetail shaped jaws have more holding power? Just curious.

Jim Becker
12-01-2004, 2:11 PM
I've seen this a couple of times now, people prefering the straight tennon. Why? Wouldn't the dovetail shaped jaws have more holding power? Just curious.
The dovetail jaws can have great holding power...if the dovetail you cut on the workpiece tenon or in a recess is "exactly" to the angles of the chuck. The straight jaws with serations on the OneWay chucks are more forgiving and easier to accomodate since you only need a straight tenon or straight recess...the latter could even be provided with a forstner bit in a tricky blank.

Randy Meijer
12-01-2004, 3:26 PM
A friend and I both bought a PSI Import chuck. I might as well have thrown $80.00 out my truck window.....
PSI is supposed to have a "no questions asked" return policy. Did you try for a refund from PSI??

Craig Fyock
12-01-2004, 11:44 PM
No I havent tried. I purchased it through one of their re-sellers so dont know if that counts or not. I will hae to try. Oh, I had forgotten that on the first piece I chucked up when tightening the chuck one of the ears on the tightening bars broke off so I had to go b some drill stem and make my own tightening bar to replace the one that the ear broke off of. I will try tomorrow and let you know what PSI says.... Thanks for the input....:)

Michael Cody
12-02-2004, 12:36 AM
Everyone will tell you SuperNova, Talon, Stronghold ... but I have another to consider -- VICMARC

These are awesome chucks. I have a 140 (the 5 1/2" version) and never have lost a blank out of it. The hex key is much better way to tighten too. You might be better served with the 120 (3.5"). If you can swing it, get a set of Shark Jaws for it... hold just like the name.

Used to be able to order from Australia cheaper than buying in the US but the dollar is down so it's a wash. The VicMarc 120 (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=991-0400) is a great deal and about the same price as the Talon.

Another consideration is the new SuperNova-2 .. haven't used one but it looks just like the VM140 and TeknaTool makes a good chuck. The original SuperNova was a good piece of equipment and the new one has HexKey like the VicMarc's.

Jim Becker
12-02-2004, 8:20 AM
Good point, Mike. Vicmarc makes an excellent chuck that is also well-liked in the community.

Jeff Rich
12-02-2004, 8:07 PM
Hey Craig, throw that chuck my way I love those cheapies!!!
I bought a $37 chuck from Grizzly and have very good luck with it.
Then again, I fiddle with everything to make it work how "I" want it to work.

Steve Roxberg
12-02-2004, 10:54 PM
I don't know the budget but I bought a SuperNova from KMS tools on Ebay (they have their own site as well) and could not have gotten more for the money. I priced everything I got from them at other sources and it was all in the $500 PLUS range. From KMS it was $300. Shipping was fast and they now have the Suprnova2 which looks really nice. I would say that the Oneways chucks are nicer than my original Supernova but I made out like a fat rat and have accessories that I would otherwise try to do without rather than spend the money. Just my 2 cents worth.
I have no affiliation just liked there price AND service.

I'm with John on this one. Looked at them all, and the KMS deal was too good to pass up. I've been happy.