PDA

View Full Version : Disston Delight

Martin Cash
06-22-2010, 1:35 AM
Recently I received a very nice parcel in the mail
This is a Henry Disston aluminum handle with wood infill, 1961-66 HK Porter-era product.
These saws don't seem to get great press from the saw aficionados, but I am stoked to have found this one.
It is in good nick as you can see and the teeth are in great shape. Filed cross-cut with 7 TPI.
I think it might be a keeper.
Cheers
MC

Jim Koepke
06-22-2010, 1:55 AM
If it cuts well and you enjoy using it, what more could one ask?

jim

Rick Rutten
06-22-2010, 8:12 AM
The embosed signature is pretty neat. Like Jim said, if it works then all the better. Congratulations.

Rick

James Taglienti
06-22-2010, 8:27 AM
i think they developed that one for general repairs on the space station.

Mike Brady
06-22-2010, 5:31 PM
Got to admit that thing is cool. I wasn't aware of that model, but I have seen a few other really ugly ones. Yours has kitchen dinette set written all over it. There were a few moments there in the sixties where some great stuff was produced before the bottom fell out of American manufacturing. This was one of them.

Archie England
06-22-2010, 5:39 PM
This saw, despite its space age (Art Deco, right?) look, has some of the best metallurgy in the blade. They take and hold a good filing and cut incredibly well. Despite the departure from beautiful Apple bathed in BLO, these HKPorter saws are typically great users. OOPS. Ought not to have told that. Er, forget what I just said--they're really horrible, horrid saws. TRUST ME

In fun,

Archie

James Taglienti
06-23-2010, 7:59 AM
i know a couple fellas here in illinois who rave about them. "my d 100 this, my d 100 that."