PDA

View Full Version : Double dresser

Kent E. Matthew
06-22-2010, 12:30 AM
After reviewing old video tapes of the New Yankee Workshop I have decided to tackle one of Norm's projects. The double dresser he made from recycled antique pine. I intend to alter this project and use recycled red oak. There is one thing about that project that bothered me. He built the plywood carcass and dust panels. The face frame was just attached to the carcass using biscuits. The face frame was not really joined to each other in any manner.

Enter my latest purchase idea. A Leigh Pro Dovetail jig. I would like to advance this project using this jig to dovetail the face frame together on both sides and in the middle using sliding dovetails. Any thoughts, comments, or advice.

Joe Scharle
06-22-2010, 7:42 AM
DT joints made on end grain are tremendously strong, but extremely weak on long grain. In fact, the very act of cutting a tail on long grain can cause the tail to break off and go flying around the room! I've even had the grain split while hand cutting the tails. I was trying to make a decorative box with all sides dovetailed, once upon a time.

glenn bradley
06-22-2010, 9:22 AM
Adding trim as separate pieces is advocated in a recent FWW magazine article. Totally acceptable depending on function. Will there be any strain on this frame? If not, no worries. If you prefer. biscuit or pocket-hole the corners and t-intersects.

Jamie Buxton
06-22-2010, 10:21 AM
When you say sliding dovetails, I think you mean that the dovetails would run in the direction so they would not be visible from the front of the dresser. That is, they assemble by sliding in from the side. If so, how are you going to make the ones in the middle?