PDA

View Full Version : new turnings

Mike Golka
06-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Haven't posted anything for a while, been busy at work and around the house but did manage to finish a segmented bowl and a couple of pepper mills recently. The bowl is mostly cherry with a maple and alowood feature ring. It's 14" x 6". The mills are walnut around 11" tall. All are finished with tungoil. Coment and critiques welcome.

Roger Chandler
06-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Mike,

Very nice indeed. Your feature ring is very well done! Nice peppermills as well. When I can find the time and patience, I think I am going to try my hand at segmenting.......thanks for the inspiration!

Steve Schlumpf
06-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Very nice work on everything Mike! Really like the segmented feature ring - great contrast in colors!

John Keeton
06-22-2010, 6:47 AM
Nice work, Mike! Great feature ring on the bowl. Did you use the polymerized tung oil?

Michelle Rich
06-22-2010, 6:48 AM
Hi Mike..that is a feature ring design I don't remember seeing..It is quite bold & I like it. I'm unfamiliar with the term alowood, could you please enlighten me?

Bernie Weishapl
06-22-2010, 7:22 AM
Really nice turnings Mike. The bowl is beautiful.

Robert McGowen
06-22-2010, 7:36 AM
Nice work, Mike. I like the feature ring on the bowl. Very nice indeed. I would lose the foot though. It doesn't seem to fit the overall shape to me.

The mills are nice also.

Mike Golka
06-22-2010, 8:02 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. John, yes, it is polymerized tung oil. Michelle alowood is a pine that is injected with hardener and color http://www.alowood.com

gary Zimmel
06-22-2010, 9:12 AM
Nice work on the bowl and mills Mike.

John Hart
06-22-2010, 9:25 AM
I bet I've looked at these pictures 20 times today....Keep coming back to make a post...then get distracted.:(

At least now, they are permanently imprinted on my brain!

I like 'em!!:) The foot on the wonderful hollowbowl seems a little high to me...but not extreme. It's form is very nice and I love the contrasts. I really like the peppermills too. I wish I would get off my duff and finally make some of those.

Nice work.:)

David E Keller
06-22-2010, 6:32 PM
I love the peppermills... They're all about the beautiful wood.

The feature ring on the segmented piece is striking. I agree that the foot seems a little large... Maybe if it were about the height of the bead detail at the rim, it would be a little more symmetrical.

How is alowood for holding detail? I'm thinking Mr. Keeton might be able to use the stuff for his intricate finial work.