PDA

View Full Version : Old Milwaukee/Delta Band Saw, need some help

doug faist
06-21-2010, 10:24 PM
I have inherited by father's old (1940's) 14" band saw in kind of sorry condition. It's been in storage for about 10 years. I plan on restoring it for use in my shop, one, because I need a smaller band saw for non-linear work, and, two, because it was my father's and he made a healthy living as a cabinet maker with it.
To begin with, is it possible to determine a model number with just a serial number? The motor is a replacement Craftsman, so that description plate was no help. My searches on the web have been for naught, or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.

Also, are there any good websites that go through the process of restoration? The ones I found are mostly before and after pictures with no discussion of the details in between.

I know this has been done and discussed before, so forgive me for asking redundant questions, but I can use some help.

Thanks for your any and all tips.
Doug

george wilson
06-21-2010, 11:43 PM
If yours has the typical hexagonal steel guide elevating rod,like mine does,it's pretty much the same as the other old Deltas. A picture would help. The problem with them is they are usually missing guide parts. Delta calls all their old parts "Historic Parts",and charges a lot for them. Most expensive pot metal you can buy! You can probably buy new Carter guides cheaper than you can buy parts from Delta,and the Carters will be much better.

Be careful to NOT drag or lift it by hanging onto the table. The trunnion parts are pot metal,and might very well break.

You can buy replacement ball bearings. Look at the model numbers on one of the bearings. At any bearing shop you can get them. BE SURE to buy SHIELDED,not sealed bearings. Sealed ones won't rotate freely enough when in contact with the blade,and you could wear grooves in their outer races. They are just ABOUT like skate board bearings. You don't need to buy especially precision bearings.

I just reground the steel blocks that embrace the blade square on their ends. They may have gotten grooves worn on them in use.

Devon Shannon
06-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Doug,
If you check out owwm.com the database of Delta BS photos can help you determine the model. Regarding the serial number, I think I read that the serial numbers for Delta machines manufactured before a specific date are a little strange, so I wouldn't start your search with the serial#. There haven't been too many versions of the Delta 14" BS...well that were made by Delta. Ive run into a couple of Member's blogs from links in the main discussion forum that detail the restoration of these old machines. Regretfully, I don't have any links for you today.