PDA

View Full Version : Belt/Disc Sander: Benchtop or Stand?

John Mark Lane
06-21-2010, 9:59 PM
As I gradually select each new machine for my new shop, I'm now focused on sanders. The Jet sanders look pretty decent. I guess it's a fairly simple device and they are not all that different -- they appear to offer the same machine in three configurations: no stand, closed stand, open stand. I was planning to buy one with no stand and mount it to a bench. But as I was laying out tonight for a tool cabinet that would be above that bench, it occurred to me that the sander is a pretty beefy machine and could vibrate the whole wall etc. I tend to build relatively heavy benches, and I suppose I could have it stand proud of the wall a bit. But I was just wondering -- why do people choose the stand over a benchtop model? Is it just for potential mobility? Or other reasons?

Any help is appreciated, as always. I'm getting there!

Mark

John Packwood
06-21-2010, 10:49 PM
If it is on a stand it won't take up space on your bench. As I get older I like not having to lift beefy machines out of the way. If floor space is no problem I would go with the stand. With lockable castors as my space fills up quickly.

Jeff Yates
06-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Even younger I hated lifting beefy machines out of the way...

I like shop built stands or purposing other items as stands that have storage and can roll out of the way if I need huge clearance around something. Otherwise the stands let me set a logical location for each machine. That was the way I built my old shop, and how I intend to build this one...

John McClanahan
06-21-2010, 10:59 PM
I bought a bench top model, as the price was too good to pass up. It is now mounted on a stand.:rolleyes:

John

Callan Campbell
06-21-2010, 11:27 PM
I bought the Grizzly which does not come with a stand. I built a rolling stand for it out of 2x material and some thick laminated particle board that I saved for just such a job. 4 double locking casters complete the stand. Works great, but you do need to add a dust collection port to the disc since Grizzly sells the machine without one. I called Tech support,they had a port that fit from one of their other machines that I added to the sander. I think the sander is the G1276. Your choice, but I agree that what ever machine you end up with in the 6 x 48" group, I'd get or make a stand for the sander for all the reasons everyone posted about. Once you get into sanders this big, they're pretty heavy. You don't want to pick one up on a regular basis.:rolleyes:

george wilson
06-21-2010, 11:33 PM
This may sound strange. I have many VERY heavy machines. For a 12" disc X 6" belt sander,I have a Reliant,bought from one of the catalog co's. Can't recall which one. It works fine,though it is pretty light weight. The reason I like it is because somehow I've never had a permanent place to keep it,and it isn't too heavy for me to deal with. I have it near my table saw and jointer,and can move it if I need to. It is mounted on its original light angle iron & sheet metal stand. It looks cheap,and was,but does work just fine.

Kevin Gregoire
06-22-2010, 12:01 AM
i have my jet combo sander on the factory open stand and its nice, i dont have a big shop but i can pull it out and put it where i want temporarily and then put it back. but i also have a smaller generic combo sander down at the end of my bench and use it for little odds & ends sanding.

John Mark Lane
06-22-2010, 8:12 AM
Thanks for the replies. FWIW, I wasn't thinking of lifting the sander on and off a bench. I was thinking of mounting it permanently to a bench that was built in part for that purpose (and may also have another benchtop machine, or sharpening station etc). I guess I'm leaning toward the stand at this point.

glenn bradley
06-22-2010, 9:19 AM
I have a benchtop model on one side of a fliptop stand; planer on the other. Just something to think about when dedicating shop space.

Lance Norris
06-22-2010, 9:39 AM
Keep in mind also that the disc is 90 degrees to the belt, so if mounted to your bench, and you plan to use both belt and disc, allow for that. I have the Jet 6x48~9" disc, open stand, and I love it. Its a great machine. It tracks perfectly through many belt changes and is smooth running. You cant go wrong with one of these.

John Mark Lane
06-22-2010, 9:42 AM
I have a benchtop model on one side of a fliptop stand; planer on the other. Just something to think about when dedicating shop space.

Glenn, I sure would like to see a picture of that if you have any handy.

John Mark Lane
06-22-2010, 9:44 AM
Keep in mind also that the disc is 90 degrees to the belt, so if mounted to your bench, and you plan to use both belt and disc, allow for that. I have the Jet 6x48~9" disc, open stand, and I love it. Its a great machine. It tracks perfectly through many belt changes and is smooth running. You cant go wrong with one of these.

Yes, I was thinking about that. Hard to spin the thing around if it's permanently mounted to a bench. Thanks for the info re the Jet. Somewhere I thought I saw one that came with two dust ports, but for some reason I can't find it now....

glenn bradley
06-22-2010, 4:53 PM
Glenn, I sure would like to see a picture of that if you have any handy.

There's some shots of it in post #4 of this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119804

Kevin Gregoire
06-22-2010, 6:07 PM
glenn, great job on that cabinet, great way to maximize space!

John Mark Lane
06-22-2010, 6:33 PM
Agreed! Glenn, that is a very nice setup.

Tom Esh
06-22-2010, 7:12 PM
It's definitely the sort of tool that works best on a wheeled stand. With most you need access to at least 2 sides just to use the belt.

Doug Carpenter
06-22-2010, 9:01 PM
I think it is a little high on a bench.

I have been searching for a used one that I liked for ever. I have a delta 12" disc sander it is pretty heavy and is currently violating my "No lifting rule" because it is on a bench.

I just bought an old powermatic with a build in dust collection system in the base. It is a belt only and I am pretty happy with them being seperate.

Ofcouse right after i bought it I saw another one on craigslist that was les than a year old. Ofcourse mine is made in america though.

Dan Karachio
06-22-2010, 9:02 PM
For what it is worth, I am learning that even though they take up space, to have my tools set up and ready to go at a moments notice is the way to go. I 're-purposed" my sander stand and the thing has sat on the floor waiting to be used, but I never seem to make the effort. I need to set me up a sanding station! Wait, if I do, I will need a oscillating spindle sander too. Hmm. I guess I know what I will be doing this weekend!