PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
11-29-2004, 7:22 PM
Well....just got in from the Thanksgiving travels......all 1,497 miles of driving with 4 kids and a wife and lots of RAIN. Arrived in Alabama just in time to be woke up with "Tornado Warnings" and thankfully, the closest tornado was a nice distant 12 miles from where we were in Alexander City.

Had a great visit with the LOML's family and also had a great time visiting with Don Farr and others in Dallas, GA. Thanks so much Don for a wonderful time in your shop with excellent shop space and time and thank Ree for me for the wonderful food and hosting.

Made it home SAFE from all the travels and am very glad to be home once again.

So....how did YOUR weekend and holiday go?

Best of weeks.......

Dan Stuewe
11-29-2004, 7:44 PM
Finished the last couple Freedom Pens (just need to write a Thank You note for each one and send off - is Woodcraft still accepting pens to deliver?)

Started thinking about 2005 resolutions (No. 1 = finish remodeling from 2003, No. 2 = finish/start organizing the shop from 2004)

Spent a tricked out Grizzly 1023 on a couple of suits :o (not too bad considering what I got, but I would have much more fun with an $1100 table saw than some nice clothes!)

Decorated for Christmas - boy the 6 and 3 year old are fun to watch at this time of year!

Bottom line - no travel makes for a much easier Monday morning! (I'm not saying it was easy, just easier!)

Marshall Harrison
11-29-2004, 8:12 PM
I've been working on building a stage for the church the last 4 weekends so I spent another 5 hours on it Saturday. Sunday I returned my old Craftsman benchtop saw to Sears and upgraded to one of their new professional table saws. The rest of the time I spent enjoying my time off. Tomorrow (Tuesday) it's back to work.:(

Jim Becker
11-29-2004, 9:50 PM
It was a wonderful, quiet and long weekend with lots of shop time, although not as "productive" as I would have liked. In addition to finishing up the turning/sculpture and photo tent that I previously posted about, I began the final finishing work on the armoire. I'm not really a happy camper about it right now...'had moisture problems spraying the USL so I ended up switching to SW Fast Dry varnish. It looks great...from a distance, but still needs a lot of work to get it where I want it. It's becoming a real learning experience!

The holiday was nice with just Dr. SWMBO and I and the birdies enjoying some fine Food Network recipes. Unfortunately, it was "back to work" today...so much for the weekend!!

Kevin Arceneaux
11-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Finally got my CMS level with the workbench. It was a washer off. Got the hope chest trimmed out, just need to wait for the lid to lose the 1/32 warp at one end to finish it. And got a butcher block made for my wifes new kitchen knife. It is an odd size and didn't fit any where. Got the shed/shop finally picked up. I also found a new,3rd hardwood dealer in Lafayette. He is out towards Youngsville, I'll have to check him out.

Then the entire family got the stomach virus that is making the rounds down this way.

Bobby McCarley
11-30-2004, 12:12 AM
It was my long weekend from work. Spent some shop time Friday finishing up my entry in the IAP Penturners contest. Its a desk set for the LSU baseball fan. I turned a bat and matching pen out of purpleheart and yellowheart. The pen I had laser engraved with Geaux Tigers. Also turned a ball out birch and woodburned the stiching. The base is out of oak and the business card holder is turned out of oak. Hopefully the team will make another trip to Omaha this coming season. The rest of Friday spent trying to clean up shop. Saturday went Christmas shopping with better half (real fun). :rolleyes: Sunday we went and got our Christmas tree, took the grandkids with us and had a good time. Daughter is getting married next weekend so the wife said the house had to decorated beforehand. I have no idea why the house has to be decorated before wedding. People will be coming to the wedding to see daughter married, not to see the house. :rolleyes: Sunday afternoon was spent helping Nephew get started putting down laminate wood flooring in their new house.

It's back to the old grind at work on the night shift Monday & Tuesday, then taking off until after the wedding.

Hope everyone had a good turkey day and some good quality family time.

Bobby McCarley

Wes Newman
11-30-2004, 4:29 PM
Almost finished the Jewlry boxes I've been working on. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13089&stc=1

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13090&stc=1

I still have to sand and finish, but I should be done by christmas. Got any last minute finishing tips.

Michael Stafford
11-30-2004, 5:29 PM
Pretty box, Wes. I like the wood combination. Finish sand with the same care as you built it and all will be well. Lucky recipient!!!

Wes Newman
12-01-2004, 8:27 AM
Michael, It's got a twin. One for my wife, and one for my Mom. It's alot like the one you just finished.