PDA

View Full Version : Wedding goblet

Russell Eaton
06-21-2010, 1:12 PM
A few people posted that they would like to know how to do a goblet with the ring interlocking. I am slow at the keyboard at best bu here goes.
First this is coming from a turner of less that 2 years, so if you know a better way please share. I turn the blank to the desired size. Then divide into sections with a pencil. One large one for the goblet then two small ones for the rings. I turn the areas outside the rings to aprox. 1 inch. Then shape the goblet. On this goblet I wanted to do the laser engraving, so before I parted the rings off the stem I had to get that done. I also sanded the goblet and the outside of the rings to 400 grit. I then parted the rings off the stem and left the stem the same size. Taking a small piece of sandpaper about 1" by 2" I taped it to the stem. I used this to sand the inside of the rings down. Then all that is left is to turn the stem down to the desired shape and size.
The trick to the interlocking ring is simple, you just break one and glue it back around the other ring. I included a couple of photos of the finishing process. Just remember the rings will mess up the finish if you don't apply the painters tape. I have made a small goblet I will post later in this same thread. I use a simple Deft lacquer spray, I don't have a large selection of tools as yet.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I feel I am probably the least qualifies to tell about this as I am still learning from all of you.

Russell Eaton
06-21-2010, 1:17 PM
These are some of the other goblets that I have made. The small one is out of a 3/4" pen blank. It is the first one that I did, I figure if I could make it that small a bigger one would be no problem. Thanks for looking Russell

Steve Mawson
06-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Good job on the rings, never hurts to turn and extra or two, just to make sure you have two that you like. That is if there is room on the stem.

David E Keller
06-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Nicely done and thanks for the photo essay.

Allen Neighbors
06-22-2010, 12:05 AM
That's a good little tute, Russell, and the minis are nice, too! Thanks for posting!