PDA

View Full Version : wood movement in this design?

Michael MacDonald
06-21-2010, 12:59 PM
I am going to build a carcasse for a cabinet--all cherry hardwood. the sides will be frame and panel, so limited wood movement. I will glue the interior fixed shelves only in the front agains the frame of the sides... the back half will be free to float.

My question is: how do I attach the top and bottom panels? Grain will be running side to side. The depth is only 20 inches, but I expect some wood movement. There will be a face frame on the front, so I need the front to remain flush... should I rabbet in the side and pin it with dowels, elongating the back hole so it floats? should I overhang the top, cut a dado for the side, and use table-top cookies to attach it?

what other options?

Chris Friesen
06-21-2010, 1:27 PM
I'd make the bottom shelf the same as the others, glued only at the front. You could then have a structural frame underneath the shelf, with no movement issues.

Similarly, the top could be attached like a table using clips/buttons or else like the top of a chest of drawers using screws with elongated holes.

Michael MacDonald
06-21-2010, 2:33 PM
OK. I think that answers my question. I will be putting some sort of feet on the bottom, so I will have to shore that up anyway. and I will use buttons on the top. I think I wrote "cookies" before... ha. I meant buttons. I forget that term to easily.