PDA

View Full Version : JDS Laserable Sheetstock - Lost Voice

John Frazee
06-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Last week we were lasering lots of the JDS gold/black aluminum and trying to conserve on a/c didn't keep the exhaust on. We both have lost our voices and seem to have sinus infections. Every once in a while I would turn on the blower but I guess not enough. I would turn the exhaust on when I would start smelling it. I didn't think it was hazardous. Has this ever happened to anyone here and how to I get myself cleared back up? Thanks, we are miserable!

Scott Shepherd
06-21-2010, 11:33 AM
John, sorry to hear about your experience. First thing I would do is call JDS and see if they have a MSDS on it to see if I could find out what I was dealing with. Once I had that, I'd probably contact a doctor and take the MSDS with you, and they will give you the proper advice.

Respiratory issues are nothing to ignore or play with, in my opinion.

David Fairfield
06-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Might be the exhaust crud enhanced by summer pollen allergy... but I'd still get that checked out. At the least you'll get something to help relieve your sinus. Can't be playing it loose with your health, gotta be proactive. And if you're self employed and don't have health insurance... go sign up!

Mike Null
06-21-2010, 11:58 AM
My guess is that the engraved surface is lacquer and you have a temporary irritation.

That happens to me when working with walnut on the tablesaw. I have to wear a mask or pay the price.

Dan Hintz
06-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm with Mike, it's most likely a temporary irritation. I get something similar if I don't stay out of the room when I'm lasering painted aluminum.

Mark Winlund
06-21-2010, 2:14 PM
That happens to me when working with walnut on the tablesaw.

I used to love burning the walnut scraps when we heated with a woodstove. Smelled like incense... a very delicate aroma.

Mark

Michael Kowalczyk
06-21-2010, 4:09 PM
I would also check your AC and make sure it is clean inside. Algae and mold can accumulate and when you recirculate it just does what it is suppose to - Recirculate.

Check your filter.

Also you may want to upgrade your fume extraction to a higher CFM unit.

So when you get back from the Doctors office, check the above out and put on a mask before looking into the AC so you don't aggravate what you have any more.

James Terry
06-21-2010, 5:47 PM
I recommend never skimping on the use of exhaust fans. I also recommend installing a positive pressure ventilation capability to your AC for the workroom or at least a fresh air intake before the filter. When you run the exhaust, as you always should, make sure the fresh air intake is open.

Basically comes down to the fact that you need air coming in for the air to go out of the room. Of course the homebrew solution to this is to crack the garage door, open a window, and so forth.

A nice solution to this problem for our hot hot hot summers is to add a fresh air pipe to the laser cabinet. It can draw in outside air to then discharge the vapors back out essentially making it a closed loop outdoor ventilation system. This would be the best possible saving of the conditioned air. No sense in blowing that outdoors when we have these huge cabinets with closing lids.

Gary Hair
06-21-2010, 6:14 PM
A nice solution to this problem for our hot hot hot summers is to add a fresh air pipe to the laser cabinet.

A couple of things come to mind with your solution. First, it would be hard on my GCC Explorer to pipe in air to the fans as well as the cabinet. Second, if the outside air is too hot you might not get the cooling that you should get from airflow. It would really depend on the outside air temp, but I would hate to damage the laser by drawing through hot air from outside. I'd much rather pay a bit more for electricity to cool the house and the laser. Same goes for Winter, if you bring in cool outside air, it will be warmed up and you'll probably get some condensation.

Just something to think about.

Gary

George Brown
06-21-2010, 10:44 PM
It is probably irritation. I had something similar, though not as bad, from fine saw dust before I put in my cyclone. It felt like I was coming down with the flu, but I was not. It should clear up on its own, but it is an indication of a problem which I would definitely not ignore, or do again.

Scott Shepherd
06-22-2010, 8:09 AM
John, any better today?

John Frazee
06-24-2010, 1:14 PM
Sorry for not responding sooner. Been sick and extremely busy at work. I took everyone's advice. I've learned my lesson for sure!

My symptoms have been getting worse over the last few days. Have been having trouble sleeping because of the coughing. Someone said something about flu like symptoms and I've had all that. Been coughing up green, sometimes to the point of gagging and spiiting up.

Got the msds sheet from JDS while sitting in the doctors office waiting. The doc says it wasn't from the lasering, it is just a sinus infection or something. (duh) I told him not just me but my wife has the same but hers is not as bad. He said yea it's possible but still not from breathing in that nasty stuff. The doctor is a customer of ours so the next time he comes in, I may laser some more of that sheetstock without the blower on just to let him do a sniff test! Anyway, they did a chest xray, bloodwork, shot in the butt, 1 weeks worth of steroids and a prescription for an antibiotic. This is really kicking my butt and it will never happen again!

My wife has complained about heatpressing the JDS' sublimation sheetstock that it caused her throat to be irritated. I told her to quit buying it but she said it worked so well she didn't want to stop buying it. I noticed the stronger than normal smell when she has used it. Does anyone know if there's a mask that would filter good enough? I am on fire/rescue here and I guess I could bring a airpack for her!

Thanks for the replies and concerns. You have all been a big help to a stubborn person! If anyone is interested in the MSDS on the metal, I think it is 13 pages long!

Michael Kowalczyk
06-24-2010, 2:16 PM
Hey John,
Hope you are feeling better. Green phlegm to me means infection. I am not a Doctor but "MOLD" is what sets me off. I would absolutely either have the AC unit completely cleaned or just replace it. Each day you are sick could possibly pay for a new unit in lost revenue.

I like the idea of a outside air source for the laser cabinet, there fore helping to minimize the amount of cool air being exhausted out. If fumes are bothering you and your wife then I wold suspect your fume extraction is unable to keep up and needs to be upgraded.

I started with the little 5-600 CFM dust collector unit from Harbor freight, I think, and immediately saw that it would be insufficient to my standards so I converted an extra Cyclone dust collector motor I had in storage and now I have 1500 + CFM available but it can only move what a 4" intake will allow. I also have a gate in-line at a "Y" connector to somewhat adjust the airflow. When I open the gate, it reduces the airflow in the laser cabinet so that when I am lasering light material, such as paper or textiles, it will not suck it up and clog the primary exhaust grid on the back of the laser.

IMHO, I would rather have too much extraction and be able to adjust it than not have enough and suffer the consequences.

Hope you get this resolved quickly.

Thanks and ...

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-24-2010, 3:41 PM
It might not be the sheetstock at all and it was just bad timing that you both picked up a nasty bug. I have talked to both friends and customers throughout the US that have been dealing with harsh cold & flu symptoms for months. I rarely ever get sick. We're talking one cold every 10 years or more. I cought something nasty a month ago that even cough syrup with codeine could not control. My Sweetheart came down with it too 2 weeks ago. We both lost our voices & had sinus infections, but since the cough syrup did not work on me, my cough was much more severe. We both still have a lingering cough. The people I have talked to that have dealt with similar symptoms all have that lingering cough.

Mike Null
06-25-2010, 6:22 AM
John

I've been at this for 12 years and haven't ever had any symptoms like yours that I could attribute to engraving or the heat press. I've forgotten to turn on my blower more than once when engraving lacquered items and while it has a nasty odor it's never caused a problem.

I think your doctor is right.