PDA

View Full Version : Pics from AAW Symposium

Chris Stolicky
06-21-2010, 11:04 AM
I agree with everything I have read from people commenting on the Symposium. It was a great experience, and the pieces were mind blowing. It was overwhelming! :eek: One purchase I made as a token of my first AAW Symposium was one of Thompson's handles. Sorry, not pic of it (yet), you can trust me. :) Maybe my other pics will make up for it.

Here is a link to some pics I took at the AAW Symposium. I was able to get wi-fi in a couple of the rooms and uploaded lots and lots of pics while I watched some demos. Gotta love free wi-fi.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33681182@N08/sets/72157624303807924/

I hope flickr is not considered a forum (I apologize ahead of time). If it is, I may get in trouble with the moderators. If that is the case, then I feel the moderators should simply delete the link, and not follow the link to view some of the greatest examples and inspiring pieces created by our peers (on varying levels). ;) I can't possibly post them all here.

Most of these pics are from the free areas of the Symposium so I don't think there are any issues with me posting them. There are some pics of demonstrators, but I don't think you can learn anything proprietary from them. If anything, I think I am helping with their marketing...

I did take quite a few shots for the AAW of the youth programs and the banquet that I did not upload. One, the youth program, I just didn't want to post pics of children - just not somewhere I wanted to go. I will let the AAW publish those on its behalf. Two, the banquet, just didn't get time to upload them. Its really the pieces people are interested in anyhow.

Enjoy looking at the pieces created from some of the greatest turners and artists in this field. Oh, a note on Mr. Grumbine, he did not turn while I there without his mask down. It came up in our conversation.

If you use any of these pics for anything beyond your own viewing, please give me credit. Note: they are copyrighted in the exif data.

The one piece that I keep coming back to is below. It went for a steal at the auction. The maple leaves are just mind boggling, and how do you glue up all of those little pieces?!

Rich Greinert
06-21-2010, 1:22 PM
Hey Chris thanks for making all these great images available for viewing.

Bill Bolen
06-21-2010, 4:09 PM
Thanks for the post Chris. I followed your link and spent about an hour looking at all your photo's. Wish I could have been there too but this was second best to being present...Bill..

Baxter Smith
06-21-2010, 5:31 PM
Thanks for taking the pictures and the link. Inspiring!

Tom W Armstrong
06-21-2010, 8:25 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post all those pictures. The pieces (and some of the prices) are just amazing.

David E Keller
06-21-2010, 8:32 PM
Wow. Thanks so much for taking all of those photos. It looks like there was quite a bit to see and do. How many people attend this event? My wife wants to know.

charlie knighton
06-22-2010, 3:07 AM
thanks for sharing

Chris Stolicky
06-22-2010, 7:46 PM
I am glad I can share. This was my first AAW symposium and a great experience. I know that I will not be able to make it to all of them. Maybe someone will be able to do the same thing with future symposiums...

David - I have no idea how many people attended. There were usually 14-15 rotations going at once, and every room I saw had more than 50 people in it; sometimes many more. And remember, these were just the rotations - i.e. the paid admission part. I know many people just went to the instant gallery and vendor sections. I am hoping that the AAW will post numbers at some point. Maybe someone else who was there could come up with a guess?

Alan Zenreich
06-22-2010, 9:55 PM
I also was a volunteer photographer for the AAW. I'm out of town at the moment, but when I get back home in a few days I'll make my photos available... there are a LOT of them... pretty much every piece in the Instant Gallery, Silent Auction, and Club projects.

Jon Lanier
06-22-2010, 10:20 PM
After looking through those I can come to a specific conclusion... I've got no skills.

Thanks for sharing.