PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
06-21-2010, 8:14 AM
21 June 2010

Good Morning,
I hope everyone is staying as cool as they can. We are under a heat advisory until Tuesday night. Heat index here yesterday was 106º F. We are learning how to get up earlier, get to work in the yard and garden and then staying in the house from lunch time to supper.

I have to do a little woodworking of sorts today. I have to make a surround and top to cover my outside A/C unit as it sit on the west end of the house and is working really hard while in the sun of the late afternoon to try and cool the house. So I'm going to make something to help keep the sun off of it yet allowing it to breathe and blow air as it normally does. Maybe I can get my boys to help me on this little project.

Well, that's it for me for this week.

So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-21-2010, 8:18 AM
Though not on standby or call, I kept getting called this weekend to work.

I did manage to get the 3 drawers finished and the false fronts attached on the 2nd rolling cabinet I am making. I have to drill a couple holes for the handles in the drawer boxes and then the cabinet is ready for some light sanding and painting.

Anthony Whitesell
06-21-2010, 8:31 AM
Nothing woodworking related. Finished installing new floor boards in the car...brilliant design Nissan. :p

Roger Newby
06-21-2010, 8:35 AM
Haven't floated away yet......5" of rain yesterday.....2" in less than 30 minutes :eek: More coming today but hopefully no where near that amount. Also temperatures in the 90's so plenty of heat and humidity. Luckily the shop has AC and is on high ground.:cool:

David Nelson1
06-21-2010, 9:07 AM
Started gathering the wood I need for my hardwood flooring.

Matt Meiser
06-21-2010, 9:09 AM
We went to LOML's family reunion on Saturday about 1/2 way across the state. When we got home I mowed the lawn--first time yet this year that its actually been dry enough to mow everything. Sunday my dad and my uncle came for dinner. I made some brats in the smoker and helped my uncle make the wooden parts for a antique corn planter he is restoring.

Dave Gaul
06-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Friday night we intended to take the kids to the movies, but LOML realized she left her wallet/purse at work, so we drove to her work to get it thinking we could make it back before the show, and realized we wouldn't, so we toured her work! She works for a company that makes & sells stages for rock concerts and the like, pretty cool place! Got to see lots of tools and robots and electronics... very cool! On way home we stopped at Lowe's and got a firepit, kids wanted to roast marshmellows, I got to burn up a bunch of scrap wood!

Saturday was shopping for clothes for the kids, not my favorite thing to do, but we first hit some second-hand stores (I hate retail for clothing, and like recycling/reusing anything possible), and the first one had some really interesting pieces of antique/old furniture. Did get a some work done on a mortising jig. Had a bunch of friends over, got the fire pit going and all..

Sunday, being father's day, LOML & kids made ME breakfast for a change! I played with the WorkSharp 3000 they got me for a while, then we all went to the park for lunch, went to the Animal Rescue League to have fun with pets, then home. Finished making the mortising jig and tested it out, worked out perfectly! Also, made some parts from scrap birch ply for LOML to make a ramp/stand thing in the rat cage...(don't ask!?)

Good God what a busy weekend!!!

David Helm
06-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Usual weekend kinds of stuff. Spent a couple of hours each day going on the local garden tour. Saturday PM spent with in-laws celebrating fathers day. Sunday, showed, and finally sold our camper van!!!!!!!!

Jim Becker
06-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Well, we succumbed to the call of A/C finally last evening when it was still 81ºF at 10pm and humid as all get-out...and it was nasty in the shop yesterday afternoon when I was working on sanding some old wide white pine boards for a flooring patch in the 250 year old portion of our home.

Other weekend activities included two riding lessons and attending a HS graduation party. I also was in the shop a little on Saturday building a platform to hold up the older's guinea pig enclosure off the floor.

Horse (day) camp started for the younger today (she's a CIT) and the older heads off to sleep-away camp on Thursday.

Dave Wagner
06-21-2010, 12:17 PM
We missed all the rain here in WNY, It was humid on Sat and about 85 degrees.

Got some concrete work done and a new stair railing (vinyl) mounted for my moms porch (that the contractor never finished!).

Reclaimed a small 16"x16" table (basic square legs, night stand, plant stand, etc...), put a new top (glued up 3 leftover porch tongue/groove boards together, rounded over the edges, sanded and stained). Actually looks pretty good.

Turned a few more widgets for practice...had a piece of 4x4 cedar post and turned a little goblet/candle holder for practice.

Put a few more trim boards up on the garage.

And attended the in-laws yearly family reunion for a few hours....I ended up cooking (as usual) on the grill. :)

glenn bradley
06-21-2010, 1:16 PM
Went to a wedding in Vegas and came home without dropping so much as a penny in the slots.

James Baker SD
06-21-2010, 1:31 PM
I finally got my giant picture frame glued up. Squared up the 2"x2" pieces of 8' basswood I ripped about 1 year ago (yes this project has been slow), put on a decorative edge with the one real shaper cutter I have (pretty good results thanks to all the excellent tips I got here), cut the rabbet for the art work on the table saw, made the miters on a CSMS and glued them up with spring clamps holding it together. Outside dimensions are 88" x 36". Will need to add some reinforcements on the glue joints as I do not trust them to hold all the weight of the art, mats, plexi etc, but that is this week's project.

Wife (its her print) is out of the country on business trip and really want this hanging on the wall when she gets back. Not sure I will make it as for every 5 steps I plan, another 5 mysteriously appear as I do the work.

James

Callan Campbell
06-21-2010, 2:08 PM
Finally finished out main/regular bedroom of our house. Over the past week and a half, I had to sand and refinish the oak floor due to 20 years of dog claws winning against the original oak flooring. Amazing enough, that room is, in terms of existing wood/floor thickness, the least worked or refinished floor in the house. We had the most wood to work with compared to all the other oak in the house. Considering how much I had to sand down to clean it all up, we were really lucky . Left enough thickness to sand past the dog marks and some future wear and tear to boot.:p
Sanded and prepped ceiling/walls last weekend, then also painted ceiling and wall earlier in the week so I less to do on Friday night or all day Saturday. Added more floor poly[water based] to floor for final coat around midnight on Friday after we painted the trim in the room and reinstalled the ceiling fan, wall plates too.
Saturday, carried all the floor sanding equipment back to the basement, installed 32" Flat Screen TV and said goodbye to the old Sony that was still plugging away. New bed and mattress showed up Saturday near noon, watched installers work away on it, then headed back down to sand and refinish the 1/4 round moulding so I could install it later that day.
Bed is one of the new platform types with the slide-out drawer units built-in for more storage.
Finished reinstalling the baseboard 1/4 round and reaffirmed my love of my Grex 23ga pin nailer. Who needs putty for nail holes with a 23 ga pin?!:D
Sunday I picked up my new JDS air filtering unit from my local Woodcraft that I'd ordered a few weeks ago. Will need to run the ceiling outlet for it sometime this week or weekend.:rolleyes:
Took it easy on Sunday since I wiped myself out Friday night and all day Saturday.:o