PDA

View Full Version : What is currently the easiest/best Workshop Layout Tool?

Dave MacArthur
06-21-2010, 1:20 AM
Hi,
In the past I've used the Delta workshop layout tool, the Grizzly layout tool, and then Sketchup. I thought sketchup would be best as I could import models of my actual machines, assuming folks had built them.

I've also done layout in SmartDraw.

However, it appears that I've totally forgotten how to use Sketchup, I wasted 3 hours trying to just draw the floorplan for my garage/shop to begin placing my tools around and figuring out my new DC plan.

Then it turns out I forgot how to use SmartDraw, at least fast enough to satisfy me. I'm about to cut shapes out of graph paper and start sliding them around on other graph paper...

I need a tool I can start, draw the lines for the garage walls BAM, drag some standard tool sizes or at least rectangles that represent them around.

Does anyone have recommendations, or maybe a complete 3-car garage workshop sketchup model I can un-group and drag stuff around in?
Thanks!

Perry Holbrook
06-21-2010, 7:03 AM
I know that computer aided layout is more high tech, but I still prefer the old school way.

Get some graph paper, the larger the better. Make cut outs of the foot prints of everything you want to put in the shop. Layout the shop walls. Just keep moving things around until to find something that works.

I used this method years ago to do industrial plant layouts before we had computers. Still use it today when we lay out trade show booths.

Perry

Lee Schierer
06-21-2010, 10:03 AM
When all else fails try a piece of graph paper and paper cut outs to match your tools.

Personally I use Autocad and make layouts for all my tools and other equipment.

John Schreiber
06-21-2010, 11:05 AM
I'd go back to SketchUp. I haven't found anything better and it works in three dimensions, which of course graph paper doesn't. That will be handy for running dust collection etc. I'd think if you go back and repeat the beginning tutorials, it will come back to you.

Of course I'm a computer nerd so what works for me may not work for you.

Jerome Hanby
06-21-2010, 11:27 AM
There are Visio templates with all kinda of machines. I've gotten my best results using Visio with those templates. I like the Grizzly tool, but Grizzly only machines makes for a lot of guess and paste.

Philip Rodriquez
06-21-2010, 11:42 AM
+1 on Visio. I used it when I moved in to my new house. It saved me a bunch of time. I was also able to give it to the electrical guy, when he ran the subpanel.

Mark Steinbach
06-21-2010, 12:26 PM
+1 Visio - link to stencils http://home.comcast.net/~hchute/woodshop_visio.htm (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ehchute/woodshop_visio.htm) . You can ungroup and custom size to your specs.

Kent A Bathurst
06-21-2010, 3:52 PM
When all else fails try a piece of graph paper and paper cut outs to match your tools.

Personally I use Autocad and make layouts for all my tools and other equipment.

Exactly.

Dunno about Lee, but I had to learn A-Cad for work. If it wasn't for that skill, I would be using my "before" method - scale cutouts. You can get plastic graph sheets and use transluscent plastic sheets from OfficeSomething. com for the cutouts (makes removing the tape a lot easier than paper). I didn't learn A-Cad for the fun of learning (not-not-not), and I wouldn't do it as a shop layout productivity tool, because you'll be upside-down on that equation IMO. If, however, you like to dink around with s/w tools - and there is no disrespect implied in that statement - then pick one and have a blast.

Mike Hollingsworth
06-21-2010, 3:56 PM
MacDraft
I use it for every project.
Very Easy.
from MicroSpot

Howard Skillington
06-22-2010, 5:56 PM
As it happens I worked up my layout in AutoCAD, and the result is a highly functional shop in a space that seemed marginal, at best. But, whether you use software or cut-out paper, I just wanted to remind you to make sure you include infeed and outfeed zones with your representation of each major tool, so you can actually run stock through them once you have them in place.
It made sense to me to begin with the table saw, since that requires the biggest feed zones. I then overlapped those zones as much as possible, which can save a bunch of space. The third major consideration is trying to arrange tools in clusters, to facilitate efficient dust collection.