PDA

View Full Version : Lumber used for turning

Jim VanBramer
11-29-2004, 2:43 PM
I'm asking this for a friend (since I've yet to acquire one of those spinny things) who's just starting to turn. He recently got some nice slabs (16/4) of birdseye maple that he wants to cut up and turn some bowls with. The logs had been down for 3-5 years, but the slabs were just sawn the other day. He's wondering if he can use them as is, or if not what does he need to do to make them usable. I'm sure all you lathe experts out there can help him out with this one. Thanks.

John Shuk
11-29-2004, 5:22 PM
The wood is useless for anything he might need. If you send it to me I will Dispose of it properly.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-29-2004, 8:35 PM
Hey John, are you STILL using that same tired line? Be truthful with the guy...........It's dangerous turning that wood and we wouldn't want anything to harm such a NICE GUY, so it is imperative, I REPEAT......... IMPERATIVE that he carefully pack it up and send it to ME for PROPER DISPOSal~!

Bruce

Jim VanBramer
11-29-2004, 8:43 PM
I know it's some awfully nice looking wood ... I had to help him unload his pickup!! I wanted some of it just as bad as you guys, but I guess what I'd really like is some honest advice for him on whether or not the wood is workable as it is. Thanks.

Jim Becker
11-29-2004, 9:46 PM
Jim...it's workable as-is. In fact, most turners prefer wetter to dry, especially on hard woods like maple. BTW, make sure you get a "commission" for asking!!! :D :D :D

John Shuk
11-29-2004, 9:51 PM
Alot of people turn wet wood and this is probably somewhere in between wet and dry. (lot of help I am) He should treat it as anyone who turns wet wood. Rough turn the blanks to a wall thickness of one tenth the diameter then put in the vessel of your choice. (paper bag works well) Let sit a few months and come back to it for finish turning. Maybe you can get away with less than six month because the log has been down so long. I have also finished bowls that were still not too dry and let them move. I kind of like letting the wood do it's own thing. I'm also impatient. The new DVD by Bill Grumbine does an excellent job of documenting the process from turning wet to finished seasoned bowl. It's a really nice thing to add to the collection for a turner.