PDA

View Full Version : A crappy end to an otherwise wonderful Father's Day

Shawn Christ
06-20-2010, 10:38 PM
It started out great. I woke up to my two young boys giving me a personalized, hardcover photobook filled with all kids of snapshots from the last several months. Then I got up and enjoyed a hot cup of coffee and a big breakfast prepared by my lovely wife. Then after some morning cartoons, we got ready, piled in the truck, and drove to my parents' house an hour north for a full day outside -- grilling out, playing basketball, and driving my little (single) brother's new Chevy Camaro SS.

Then tonight I got home. :mad:

As I was stepping out of the truck in the garage with an armfull of stuff, the most fantastic mobile phone I've ever had slipped out of my hand and onto the garage floor. Screen shattered. It's an HTC Droid Incredible, only 4 days old and NOT cheap. And the worst part about it it doesn't belong to me. It belongs to work. I have no idea if it is insured and if it will even be replaced.

I'm so upset at myself. I'm so ashamed. I'm so hoping that by writing here while waiting for my lovely wife to bring home some ice cream I will somehow feel better.

I hope the rest of you dads out there had a better end to your day. :(

Jeff Yates
06-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Oh I feel for you...I've got the same phone and I know what you mean...

Here's to everything working out int he end and work's insurance covering the phone...

Shawn Christ
06-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks Jeff. Keep a tight grip on that phone.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my ice cream... store must be busy tonight.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Shawn,

Sorry to hear that. I have broken my company phone....guys have lost them and had them stolen. Most of the time if your company contracts through one specific provider, the provider replaced them for free.

Good luck.

Ed Harrow
06-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Well, if it will make you feel any better, about ten years ago, on MY BIRTHDAY, I had my bag stolen out of a hotel meeting room. My company laptop, my passport, my tickets, etc, etc.

I dropped my Treo into an inch or so of water running down the gutter - it (the phone, if in doubt) still worked! I dropped it here, there, and everywhere - it was like a Timex ;)

Mitchell Andrus
06-21-2010, 7:52 AM
Ithe most fantastic mobile phone I've ever had slipped out of my hand and onto the garage floor.

egrips.

http://www.egrips.com/store/index.php

I put this stuff on everything I don't want to drop.

Chris Kennedy
06-21-2010, 8:15 AM
Imagine if you will, a pleasant Christmas morning. The fire is burning, the tree is gorgeously decorated, and the little ones are surrounded by new toys and are excitedly playing. Zoom out to the contented parents, sitting at the breakfast island, sipping coffee and watching their happy kids. The mother opens a present from the father, to reveal a brand new iTouch, not too long after they come out. Opening the box, the brand new electronics falls out and straight into the coffee cup she was sipping from only moment earlier.

That woman was my sister a few years back.

I feel for you. After dropping my phone out of my shirt pocket a couple of times, I have invested in a holster.

Cheers,

Chris

Shawn Christ
06-21-2010, 8:28 AM
There will definitely be a protective case and possibly a belt clip in my future, assuming I receive a replacement phone.

Chris, it doesn't get much worse than that. I hope her phone was insured.

I typed my dismay into Facebook last night, knowing that my boss would eventually see the status update. His one-word response came within 10 minutes: "....interesting." Today I get to find out what he meant by that.

John Shuk
06-21-2010, 8:52 AM
I hope it works out but it sounds like the rest of the good stuff outweighs that.
I have a Droid Incredible and I like it alot.

My wife made sure my day was great too.... until the part where I was trying to be funny and ride my 4 year old son's bike.....My hip hurts ALOT!

Rod Sheridan
06-21-2010, 8:54 AM
Shawn, I've lost one company phone on an airplane, and one got crushed, along with my laptop when the laptop bag came off the bike on the expressway.

After the laptop incident the company did provide the non standard laptop bag that fit inside the BMW saddle bags that I originally requested with the laptop.

Stuff happens to stuff, whether you own it or the company owns it.

Relax, it's just a possession, it's not something important like a person injured or dead, they make more possessions every day.

Regards. Rod.

P.S. I returned from a vintage bike rally on Sunday to have my daughters take me out for dinner. When it came time to pay, both of them had left their purses at home. It's nice to know that as the father of older children that I still have some uses.:D

mike holden
06-21-2010, 9:39 AM
Shawn,
While I feel sorry for your loss, keep it in perspective - it is just a thing. You are fine, your family is fine, things can be replaced.
Remember the good things that happened that day, dont let the little things get you down.
Mike

Lee Schierer
06-21-2010, 10:00 AM
I typed my dismay into Facebook last night, knowing that my boss would eventually see the status update. His one-word response came within 10 minutes: "....interesting." Today I get to find out what he meant by that.

The worst thing he can do is hand you two cans and a big ball of string as a replacement for your phone.

Belinda Barfield
06-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear about the phone Shawn. My work phone is a rugged phone, not pretty, not fancy, but almost indestructible. There's a reason for that. :o

I went to visit my daddy for Father's Day. Everything was great until we finished lunch. That's when my parents decided we needed to review all of the pertinent information regarding their deaths and burials, life insurance, assets, etc. It was a really depressing afternoon.

Michael MacDonald
06-21-2010, 10:27 AM
sorry to hear about the destruction. I hear that is a really nice phone.

I have a 10-year old LG flip... doesn't do much except make calls. But, I drop it once a day and it has never hiccuped. Even when the batter door flies off--I just pop it back on. don't make 'em like they used to.

at least you didn't drop a beer or a kid. worse things to do than kill a phone.

Rick Huelsbeck
06-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Rented a cabin for the weekend with the girlfriends father and step-mother, well they tend to fight like cats and dogs. It must work for them they have been married for near 35 years. Well, needless to say I was really tired of it come Sunday morning. Well after spending the morning fishing we headed home. I got a text while I was driving and I'm one of those folks that gets really upset when I see someone on the phone while they are driving so I don't touch mine unless I'm using the GPS function on it. When I got home I had a text from my son that he wanted me to call him. I guess that doesn't sound like much except we have not spoken in 11 years. Just talking to him was the best fathers day present I could have ever had. (we had some issues and until this year I had no idea of where he was) In fact I had commented to my girlfriend on the way home the saddest part of the day was I was not going to hear Happy Fathers day from my child. I'm so happy I was wrong :D