PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt Scroll Saw Gloat

Jeff Yates
06-20-2010, 9:32 PM
So I was scouring local ads on Craigslist for a table saw to put in the new garage when I ran across an ad for a DeWalt DW788 saw for sale...they wanted $250. Talked to the owner a little bit, made a bit of a drive and came home with a 20" scroll saw, stand and light.

Best part is, the saw is practically new.

A scroll saw was fifth or sixth down the line of big power tools to pick up, but it was honestly too good a deal, IMHO, to not jump it up the purchase line.

Add to that the portable ac I picked up for a $150 that is managing to keep the 2 car garage, my new shop is well underway.

So yes, I have a scrollsaw before a table or band saw....but I'm happy about it, now I just need to start practicing...it feels good to start rebuilding the woodshop again...it has been too long since I made some sawdust.

Lance Norris
06-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Jeff... good deal... I watch for that same deal daily... but in Ohio. I use my scroll saw for lots of things... boxes, bowls, and even joinery. I can make great dovetail joints with mine, so dont think of a scroll saw as just something to make knick-nacks. I have a Craftsman scroll saw, and although it has done a great job for me, in the back of my mind, I know its a Craftsman, and that bothers me...

Jeff Yates
06-20-2010, 10:12 PM
I agree...there are many many things a scroll saw can handle well, and I intend to push it to the limits of my meager skills. This should be more saw than I will need for it's purposes...now I just need to spend some time tuning it up and figuring out how best to make it work with me.

My old workshop was a bunch of very low end equipment and when I was moving a friend of mine who came over to use my workshop made me an offer to just buy it. Since I wasn't happy with a single piece I had...I took the opportunity to give myself an excuse to upgrade. Problem is it has now taken me 3 years to get back in a position to have a workshop.

All those power tools would have ended up in storage for this time...and he's happy with what I had...so win/win.

Thanks for the reply...I'll keep an eye out for some of your work

Van Huskey
06-20-2010, 11:55 PM
YOU SUCK!

Good score.

Stephen Cherry
06-21-2010, 8:00 AM
I just bought the same saw on CL also. I think in the scroll saw world, it gives a lot of bang for the buck, particularly when bought used for about half price. One of the best things with used machines though is all the freebies thrown in.

Did you get a foot pedal? If not, you should consider one.

As for scroll saw before table saw, number one, when shopping used, you need to take the good deals as they come, and number two, it all depends what you want to make. Of course, for square boxes, table saw is king, but for oval boxes??

Stephen Cherry
06-21-2010, 8:05 AM
I just bought the same saw on CL also.

Did I just commit some internet discussion gloat no no:rolleyes:? (saying I bought the same saw as a competing gloat)

If so, sorry, and YOU S___

Nathan Palenski
06-21-2010, 8:31 AM
I got the same saw for the same price from a guy who was clearing out his fabrication shop. Its the best scroll saw I've ever used. I found the best way to control dust with it is to tape your DC/shop vac hose either to the bevel knob or right there next to it. If you dont you end up bumping it with your knee and getting a shoe full of sawdust which is a real pain to clean out. I do a lot of fabrication with it in 1/2" and 3/4" MDF which this saw really excels at. Its a fantastic saw. I'm sure the excalibers are nice but I'd be hard pressed to let my dewalt go.

Stan Mitchell
06-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Ya, ya . . . . these stories all sound real - BUT

I don't see any pictures!

Come on - you guys know the rules. :D

Jeff Yates
06-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Those are some great tips...using the shop vac as a dc and the foot pedal...

Both I think will be put in place.

Thank you.

Jeff Yates
06-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Ya, ya . . . . these stories all sound real - BUT

I don't see any pictures!

Come on - you guys know the rules. :D

Working on that...

glenn bradley
06-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Great score. I have that saw and really like it. The assortment pack of Flying Dutchman blades was a great place to sort out what blades I would use most. To keep the pic-police from stealing my children at night in retaliation, here's my proof (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=133364&d=1258905140): :D:D:D