PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Jewlery box

Will Brauneis
06-20-2010, 9:22 PM
Here is a standing jewelry box I finished a few weeks ago. It will be a gift for my grandmothers 80th birthday. It's made out of Oregon black walnut. The wood wasn't steamed so the colors in it are really vibrant. The figured piece came out of the crotch that was at the top of the board. The only power tool i used on this project was my band saw to resaw the lumber and slice the lid off but other than that it's an all neander project. Its roughly 14" tall by 6 1/2" wide by 5" deep. I lined the draws with velvet and made the ring holder by tacking the velvet down over strips of foam. It is finished with tung oil. I had a lot of fun making this project. The only hiccup i had was the wood was pretty temperamental and moved quite a bit i think it had some internal stress. All and all I'm really happy with how it came out!

gary Zimmel
06-20-2010, 10:07 PM
I can see why you were happy the way this turned out Will.
Beautiful work on the jewelry box. I'm sure you will make your grandmother very proud.

Greg Woloshyn
06-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Very nice craftsmanship, I really like how the colors turned out and the joinery looks great. I can only hope I will make projects as good as that some day.

John Keeton
06-21-2010, 6:30 AM
Excellent work! Nice clean dovetails, good layout design, and the wood is gorgeous!! You will certainly get kudos from your grandmother for this one.

Will Brauneis
06-24-2010, 6:22 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments.:)