PDA

View Full Version : weekend in Hartford

Charles Bouchelle
06-20-2010, 6:47 PM
Just returned from a very enjoyable weekend in Hartford Ct. Attended the AAW symposium with my 15 yr old son.What an impressive display of turnings and fantastic rotations with some of the best in the woodturning field.This was my first symposium but it will be on my calendar again,I was lucky that it was less than 200 miles away this year.My very special thanks to the folks at the AAW for the hard work that it takes to pull off this type of event.Also another thanks to the companies for the donations for the youth turning classes,my son was fortunate to be one of the 25 youth turners the was drawn to win a complete turning set up including a Jet mini lathe with stand,set of Crown tools,Nova chuck,face shield and pen mandel.What a great turners weekend.Anyone that has not gone before, try to attend one sometime

John Keeton
06-20-2010, 6:55 PM
Charles, besides being very envious of your trip to Hartford, let me offer my congrats to your son!! Great win on his part, and a big step in the career of yet another woodturner!

I hope to do St. Paul next year!

charlie knighton
06-20-2010, 8:27 PM
thanks Charles

Charles Bouchelle
06-20-2010, 8:33 PM
i would like to do it again next year so maybe see you there. My son just had me help assemble the lathe and is now working on a bowl on the driveway outside the shop.He said this one is small enough to move outside and turn.

Charles Bouchelle
06-20-2010, 8:35 PM
Almost forgot to say I treated myself to a Thompson 3/8 v gouge and my son bought me one of Thompson"s new handles for fathers day,and on top of all that my wife bought me a new Stihl 290. PINCH ME!!!

David E Keller
06-20-2010, 8:38 PM
Congrats to you and your son. It sounds like a great weekend. I'd love to make it to one in the next few years.

Jim Kountz
06-20-2010, 8:55 PM
Wow your son winning that setup is awesome!! Congrats to him!! I would love to make it to one of the AAW events, maybe next year??

Allen Neighbors
06-20-2010, 9:22 PM
What can I say that hasn't already been said... Congratulations to Father and Son...
You'll never regret this time you spent with him, and neither will he. :)

Greg Just
06-20-2010, 9:55 PM
Sounds like a great time. As previously mentioned, next year it will be in St. Paul and I hope to go

Bernie Weishapl
06-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Sounds like you had about as much fun as I did at Richmond a couple of years ago. Just to many things to see and to many demo's.

George Morris
06-20-2010, 10:32 PM
To add to your thread I and my wife had a excellent time, Meet Don Geiger a nice guy. Congrats on your son winning the lathe and tools. Great time! G

Karl Card
06-20-2010, 11:25 PM
good deal. I am sure that makes for an exciting weekend.

pics pics pics....

Alan Zenreich
06-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Lauren and I enjoyed our first AAW Symposium this weekend.

I spent the first 4.5 hours on Friday photographing pretty much every item in the instant gallery and silent auction... my volunteer effort for the AAW web site. I'm deciding how to make the photos available in other forms.

Saw some great demonstrations. We split up for the demos, each having different interests.

After I saw Jimmy Clewes' bowl turning demo, I suggested that Lauren see it the next day. When we met after the class, Lauren said emphatically "I want to turn a bowl!"

We spent quality time (and funds) at the trade show. Got some cool toys and wood. I picked up a Thompson 1.25" skew and a 3/8 bowl gouge and handle. A live center and thread-lok from oneway, a diamond hone from Alan Lacer, lots of stuff from sanding glove.

We got to meet and spend time with Ruth Niles. Craig Jackson, Bill Grumbine, Doug Thompson and many others. I finally got to lay hands on the Monster Lathe Tools hollowing system... I see one in my future.

Lauren got introduced to (and hooked on) pyrography... bought a Burnmaster and some Razertip pens. She attended sessions that included woodburning, texturing, airbrushing, piercing and marketing. Her creative juices were flowing!

Great fun, exhausting... a lovely weekend with my bride.