PDA

View Full Version : handheld cheapy

Rodne Gold
06-20-2010, 2:59 PM
Cheap power source - a portend for things to come?
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/06/16/deadly-star-wars-lightsaber-wicked-lasers/

Ron Chapellaz
06-20-2010, 3:53 PM
I guess we all knew that this type of technology had to come! The era of "Star Wars" is here!
What timing Rodney! My son and I are going to play laser tag later this afternoon! As long as we don't have those kinds of lasers we should come out of things unscathed!

Neil Pabia
06-20-2010, 4:07 PM
I think the price may be incorrect, the 200mw and the 300mw are a lot more expensive.

Martin Boekers
06-20-2010, 4:34 PM
WOW!!!

I did check the WIcked Lasers web site. They too, express how dangerous this is.

The price is about $200, lens about $30 and bat. about $10

Not a lot of hoops to jump through to buy it either.

They may not be available long, after this atricle.

Marty

Chuck Stone
06-20-2010, 6:40 PM
Since these are class IV lasers being shipped in from Shanghai, China I can
see them being confiscated by customs as they come in. Anyone without
the proper paperwork (license, variance etc.) will probably just lose their
money.

From the FDA website:

What FDA Can Do
FDA’s authority is over the manufacturers of laser products. These products
must meet a federal standard for the amount of radiation they can emit and
must be properly labeled. FDA is working to identify manufacturers of
overpowered green laser pointers and other illegal laser products and will take
action to prevent unsafe products from being sold in the United States. If illegal
products are imported into the U.S., they may be refused entry, returned to the
seller, or destroyed.
Buyer Beware
FDA recommends that consumers be cautious when buying laser products over
the internet. Consumers may unknowingly purchase an illegal laser product or may
lose their money if the illegal product is refused entry into the U.S. or destroyed.
Consumers should be aware that:

Class IIIb and class IV laser light show projectors, identified as such on the label,
may only be sold by or to individuals or firms with current, approved laser
light show variances from FDA.

Laser products that are advertised as uncertified components may only be sold to

other manufacturers and may not be sold to the public for general use.
Laser products should have certification and identification labels stating the product
complies with the federal laser standard.

Dan Hintz
06-21-2010, 6:47 AM
Wicked Lasers has been selling for a number of years now, and the setups get more and more powerful. No confiscation worries (for better or worse, I guess it depends upon what end of the laser you're on), so you can buy with confidence you'll get what you paid for. I remember when the PS3 first came out, they were using the blue-Ray laser diode to make a pointer that would start a match on fire from across the room. Fun to use, but way too dangerous for the average monkey to be handling.

David Fairfield
06-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Unortunately innocent bystander/s will blinded by moron/s, then they'll be federally regulated.