PDA

View Full Version : Book'em, Danno

Mitchell Andrus
06-20-2010, 12:22 PM
It's baaaaa-aaaack. CBS this Fall.

Be there.

John Schreiber
06-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Brings back memories. My dad used to polish his shoes every week while watching. Hawaii makes me think of the smell of shoe polish. All I can remember from the show is men in three piece suits running over lava fields.

No sign of a new Gilligan's Island?

Bruce Page
06-20-2010, 1:20 PM
Original ideas are few and far between.

85% of Hollywood media is a rehash of something done before.

Mitchell Andrus
06-20-2010, 2:37 PM
No sign of a new Gilligan's Island?

Live at my house for a while.

Greg Peterson
06-20-2010, 5:05 PM
Live at my house for a while.

So are you skipper, professor, money bags or Gilligan?

Mitchell Andrus
06-20-2010, 6:29 PM
So are you skipper, professor, money bags or Gilligan?

Pick a day, I'll let you know which I am that day.

Alt. answer: Ginger, on those *special* days.

Greg Peterson
06-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I just can't see Mary Ann being, ** special **, as you put it. Ginger, most definitely.

Randal Stevenson
06-20-2010, 11:45 PM
As long as this rerun/redo, doesn't create a new Tracy.:rolleyes:

Michael Weber
06-21-2010, 12:42 AM
I can guarantee the show will have no charm. Just guns, car wreaks, sexual innuendos and superhuman acts of daring. Of course there will be a woman on the team now and although she weighs only 100 pounds she will be able to overpower 250 pound thugs by jumping in the air wearing high heeled shoes and kicking them in the face. I probably won't bother watching. The last good show that was on network television was "Northern Exposure"

Caspar Hauser
06-21-2010, 3:20 AM
The last good show that was on network television was "Northern Exposure"

I agree, but would also proffer Due South and Twin Peaks.

Mitchell Andrus
06-21-2010, 7:48 AM
the last good show that was on network television was "northern exposure"

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Curt Harms
06-21-2010, 9:00 AM
I've felt like we're living through a '70's rerun, and not just on TV.

John Schreiber
06-21-2010, 10:58 AM
I've felt like we're living through a '70's rerun, and not just on TV.
Ooo, remember lines at the gas pumps? Those were the good old days.

Michael Weber
06-21-2010, 5:41 PM
Mitchell and Casper, nice to find someone who even watched Northern Exposure. Most people never bothered, or thought it was weird and stupid. I think it was the best television series ever with brilliant writing, at least until Fleishman (Rob Morrow) left for the city of lights. When Iris DeMent sang the song 'Our Town" at the end of the last episode in her strange little breaking voice, I nearly cried:o.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikZwgj89HI
CD's are available (got um, natch)

Curt Harms
06-22-2010, 9:25 AM
Ooo, remember lines at the gas pumps? Those were the good old days.
Pretty good example of a command economy at work? I was thinking of stagflation although inflation hasn't been too bad yet. Just sort of a national malaise.

Pat Germain
06-22-2010, 1:34 PM

Actually, there are lots of great writers turning out great scripts with new and original ideas. Too bad network managers aren't interested. They're interested in low risk, tried and true formulas they can take to their stockholders and make them feel good.

Furthermore, those tried and true formulas must be instant, smash hits with the exact demographic advertisers are wanting to reach. Otherwise, the network will pull the plug on the show.

It's interesting that most of the most successful shows on television were sleepers that took awhile to gain a large and loyal audience. "Cheers" and "Seinfeld" were both like this. Today, neither show would have a chance. Networks will now literally cancel a show after one episode.

BTW, the demographic advertisers want to reach are young, upscale, professional women. This leaves pretty much all of us SMC folks out. That's why there's almost nothing on TV to interest us.

Phyllis Meyer
06-23-2010, 9:16 AM
I'm excited for the show...grew up with Brothers who watched all these...Streets of San Francisco, Dragnet (oops, showing my age on that one), Star Trek, Mannix, Ironside, Columbo...

This woman loves those kinds of shows!
Phyllis:)

Mitchell Andrus
06-23-2010, 9:19 AM
I'm excited for the show...grew up with Brothers who watched all these...Streets of San Francisco, Dragnet (oops, showing my age on that one), Star Trek, Mannix, Ironside, Columbo...

This woman loves those kinds of shows!

You forgot McMillan and Wife.

Phyllis Meyer
06-23-2010, 11:47 AM
oh yeah...and don't forget McCloud (was that his name, the cowboy guy). Oh, and speaking of cowboys...I really miss Gunsmoke, and of course the boys on the Ponderosa:)

Pat Germain
06-23-2010, 12:09 PM
You know, what strikes me about all those old cop and crime shows is the characters were of middle-age. This made sense because in the real world, it takes years of experience to become a good crime-fighter.

Dollars to doughnuts the new Five-O will be chock full of twenty-something models who somehow achieved a high rank at the police department in only a few years. These models will likely also live in large houses with interesting architecture and spectacular ocean views which they couldn't possibly afford on police salary. Of course, they will also drive fancy cars they couldn't afford to own.

I'm recalling Jim Rockford who lived in a trailer and drove a Pontiac Firebird. And at least the spinoff from "Rockford Files" had a plausible explanation for the main character's swanky house and car. Magnum was living at a rich guy's house and driving his Ferarri.

Ever since Magnum P.I. was cancelled, Hawaii has been itching for another TV series to showcase their islands. I'm wondering if the Hawaiian state legislature is somehow backing the new Five-O.

Ben Franz
06-24-2010, 12:12 PM

I couldn't agree more. It irritates me when "new" movies or TV shows pop up that are remakes of others, mindless sequels, movies made from TV show and comic books, blatant copies of other "successful" shows, etc. The list of derivative drivel is endless. How many more remakes of "King Kong" will we see? I usually avoid watching sequels, remakes and copycat stuff in the faint hope that it will somehow encourage employment of writers and directors with new ideas and something to say. Yeah. I know, dream on! End of cranky curmudgeon rant.