PDA

View Full Version : prototype-router & lathe

Michelle Rich
06-20-2010, 11:12 AM
I just finished this prototype of a design I have been wanting to do for years. I have seen Hans Wessflogg's work and have always wanted to do something like it. I finally figured out how to do it, and threw in some eccentric work just to muddy the waters!!! There are quite a few super artist turners on this site so I hope you will help me decide if this is an avenue I should continue exploring..I must say it is out of my comfort zone as I have never been able to see my headstock thru a piece before as it spins & I'm cutting. It also makes threatening noises too!!! Thanks for looking and any help you might suggest.

Curt Fuller
06-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I've never tried the Weissflog technique on something that large. I've made many attempts on small box lids only to have them disintegrate at some point. A larger turning and using a router for one side looks to have some real possibilities. Yours looks great. Having tried and failed on a simple flat piece so many times I can't even begin to figure out how he does the hollow forms with the same technique. My best attempt..... holding it together with my fingers, and the actual blow up

Michelle Rich
06-20-2010, 11:58 AM
I've never tried the Weissflog technique on something that large. I've made many attempts on small box lids only to have them disintegrate at some point. A larger turning and using a router for one side looks to have some real possibilities. Yours looks great. Having tried and failed on a simple flat piece so many times I can't even begin to figure out how he does the hollow forms with the same technique. My best attempt..... holding it together with my fingers, and the actual blow up Hi Curt, I hear ya...that's why I tried a different approach..the router for one side (24 divisions) and turning the front. This is the only one I have tried and it worked fairly slick..but one of course must settle for a "stiffer design" than Hans' offset turnings back to back

Michael James
06-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Michelle that is beautiful. As a guy who has tons more hours on a router than a lathe, Im going to suggest just stay on it, but dont use your quality wood. Practice the individual "moves" and when you can replicate them, move onto the next one. Im sure it's like anything else, the end results are a sum of the "parts". I find that piece far more interesting that any design you could do with a skew or a gouge. IMO.
I see you are an experimenter; that will take you many places, and you learn from the failures as well as the successes. No risk, no gain.

John Keeton
06-20-2010, 1:33 PM
Michelle, I think it could be an extremely fulfilling diversion - if it doesn't stay outside your comfort zone. I realize I have only a few months behind me on this journey, but in decades of woodworking I believe a particular technique needs to "hit home" pretty quickly if one is to show any level of success at it. What you have done here looks like you have the vision and talent to do pretty much whatever you want with it - so long as you are comfortable with it!

Curt, I wonder on your piece, if the eccentric center were placed differently on the grain if the weakness would be less. The break clearly was along the grain. If the center were at 11 o'clock or so, it looks like it may have been stronger. Don't know...!

David E Keller
06-20-2010, 1:48 PM
Nicely done. This would be way outside my comfort zone on anything large like that. I like the idea of the offset inserts in the center, but the wood colors seem a little off to me... That may just be the photo as colors are often distorted in things that I photograph. My only other thought would be to have crisp edges on the turned details rather than rounding the edges. The way you did it may be best, but I'm just brainstorming(brain farting?).

Curt, I'd glue that back together and use it as a box lid insert. I love the design.

Michelle Rich
06-20-2010, 3:35 PM
Michelle, I think it could be an extremely fulfilling diversion - if it doesn't stay outside your comfort zone. I realize I have only a few months behind me on this journey, but in decades of woodworking I believe a particular technique needs to "hit home" pretty quickly if one is to show any level of success at it. What you have done here looks like you have the vision and talent to do pretty much whatever you want with it - so long as you are comfortable with it!

Curt, I wonder on your piece, if the eccentric center were placed differently on the grain if the weakness would be less. The break clearly was along the grain. If the center were at 11 o'clock or so, it looks like it may have been stronger. Don't know...! Thanks John, appreciate the support for this effort. It was a struggle to figure out the steps & the tooling needed & how to use it, to get the result I was aiming for..I am relatively pleased with it, but have visions for a new one, based on what I learned from this prototype. Please keep showing us your lovely turnings...

Pete Jordan
06-20-2010, 4:48 PM
Michelle,

I am not one to give you advice but I certainly admire your talent. Exceptional talent!

Allen Neighbors
06-20-2010, 9:44 PM
I also admire your talent... and guts!! You should do a tutorial on how this was done... it would help some of us more dense types to 'see' this as it's made. You're good, keep it up!