PDA

View Full Version : Exercise Ideas

Larry Browning
06-20-2010, 9:16 AM
My doctor told me that if I didn't start and CONTINUE doing aerobic exercise I would end up dead. I said, "Hmmm, tough choice!" I HATE to exercise! However, I know that I absolutely must change my sedimentary lifestyle, and apparently shop time does not count for aerobic exercise.
So far in my life I have never been able to sustain working out for more than a month or 2. I always seem to find some excuse to skip exercise and pretty soon I find that I have quite all together.
We are considering investing in a Wii fit which is going to set me back $300. I am pretty skeptical of this, due to me past experience with workout equipment.
If you have one of these, what has your experience been with it? Also, do you have any alternative ideas? I have been racking my brain to come up with something I can stick with, and have yet to come up with anything that seems to have even a remote chance of working for me. The wii seems to be my best choice so far, but I am skeptical of that as well.

Mitchell Andrus
06-20-2010, 9:46 AM
Walking is still considered to be one of the best low-impact activities we can do to stay fit. And, it's free.

David G Baker
06-20-2010, 9:47 AM
Larry,
I watch for folks that spend big bucks on exercise gadgets and I buy them in almost new condition when they sell them at garage sales or Craigslist. I have found that gadgets rarely work unless the individual is really dedicated. The exercise that I followed the most was the Canadian Air Force exercise plan. It is pretty painless, takes 10-15 minutes a day and doesn't require any gadgets. Do a search on Ebay or the Internet and you will find the instruction manual. The manual is geared to all ages and both genders. I am 66 years old and am still in pretty good shape.
I now have an exercise room that has most of the exercise toys and use it 3 days a week. If I get bored with the equipment I will go back to the Canadian Air Force Program. Remember, if you don't use it you will loose it. Once you get those endorphins pumping through your system you will love exercising. :D

Scott Shepherd
06-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Walking is still considered to be one of the best low-impact activities we can do to stay fit. And, it's free.

True, but it's also one of the easiest one's to make excuses for not doing -

"It's too hot today"

"It's too cold today"

"It's raining"

"It looks like it's going to rain"

"My toe hurts, I'll walk tomorrow"

"My knee hurts, I'll give it a break for a few days"

And the logical reply to some of those is that you don't have to walk outdoors, find a mall and go to that and walk inside. Then, that turns into :

"I don't have time to drive to the mall today"

"Too much traffic getting to the mall"

"It's costing me a lot of money in gas to get to the mall every day"

....and on and on and on. You either want to get healthy or you don't. That's a decision that has to be made before you start. If the answer is "maybe", then the result will be poor, in my opinion.

Dee Gallo
06-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Steve,

You're not going to change a lifetime of hating exercise - so make your normal life more aerobic. Make sure you park far away from the store and do some extra walking there. Make extra trips up and down stairs, carrying smaller lighter loads instead of one big lug. Avoid elevators. Same with emptying the groceries - do one bag at a time and walk with some pep! Put stuff on the floor of your workshop so you have to bend over to pick it up as you work. Don't try to be efficient putting things away - do one thing at a time and make more trips necessary. Do a "tour" around the outside of your house at least once a day, don't try to make a mile walk part of your day...it ain't gonna happen!

After you've done this a while, it will pay off. Little life shifts are easier to deal with than big changes and they stick with you too. You can always add more when you become more comfortable.

cheers, dee

Larry Browning
06-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Steve,

You're not going to change a lifetime of hating exercise - so make your normal life more aerobic. Make sure you park far away from the store and do some extra walking there. Make extra trips up and down stairs, carrying smaller lighter loads instead of one big lug. Avoid elevators. Same with emptying the groceries - do one bag at a time and walk with some pep! Put stuff on the floor of your workshop so you have to bend over to pick it up as you work. Don't try to be efficient putting things away - do one thing at a time and make more trips necessary. Do a "tour" around the outside of your house at least once a day, don't try to make a mile walk part of your day...it ain't gonna happen!

After you've done this a while, it will pay off. Little life shifts are easier to deal with than big changes and they stick with you too. You can always add more when you become more comfortable.

cheers, dee

Thanks for some really good ideas! I had not thought of doing things like this. However, I think I am going to need more than that, but I do think I will try to add your suggestions to whatever I do. Oh, btw Dee, I do have a cousin named Steve, but my name is Larry:)

The way I can get excited or "into" something is to start by researching the different options available. Be it my work, my hobby, anything. So this thread is just a part of that process.

Does anyone have any thought on the Wii fit?

Zach England
06-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Get a dog.

Zach England
06-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Aren't you going to, at some point, end up dead anyway?

Larry Browning
06-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Well, news flash! SWMBO has just informed me that we are making a trip to Best Buy this afternoon and getting the Wii fit. So, I am thinking that this thread may change into a review of the wii fit. The review will start at 5:00am Monday morning!
She never has shared my slow "research" oriented approach to decision decision making.

Larry Browning
06-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Aren't you going to, at some point, end up dead anyway?

That was my first response, but nobody thought it was funny.

Phyllis Meyer
06-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi Larry,

In our town they have a program called Wel-Fit (through the hospital). It costs $28 a month. There are young and old, I go at 6 am and there are folks there age 85. They are moving!!! (You can use the weight machines, treadmills, and they set up the program for you) There might be something like that offered at your nearest hospital. Getting out, talking with others and seeing that we all need to keep moving is so important! And...your insurance might cover it because your Dr. ordered you to exercise!:) Good luck and walking is the best!!!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Eric DeSilva
06-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Does anyone have any thought on the Wii fit?

Larry,

I fully understand your reluctance to exercise. For me, exercise always came out of things I did for other reasons--biking, hiking, climbing--but I never exercised for the sake exercising. Now, however, I have to get some aerobic exercise in to alleviate my guilt about eating the things I like to eat.

Being of a bit of a data-head, one thing that I find helps me with exercise is to analytically track my progress. One hard part for me about exercise is the lack of any tangible feedback. But, when I track the data myself, it does give me a sense of forward progress that sustains me.

Since you asked specifically about the Wii Fit, I'll throw in a response there too. We have a Wii Fit, but neither my wife nor I do anything with it that resembles a real exercise program. We occasionally play with it, but it is largely because it is fun and we can play some things with the two year old. Remember, the Wii is first a gaming console, second an exercise machine.

That being said, my limited forays into playing with the Wii Fit have left me impressed. The reason neither my wife nor I use it for exercise is that it is keyed for lower impact exercises; I prefer my elliptical and the corner gym, my wife favors the elliptical and (!) the heavy bag. But, if you want a relatively low impact aerobic work out, you might really like the Wii Fit. There are a lot of isometric exercises, there are some keyed to getting your heart rate elevated, there is variety, and--to my original point--it is very good about the feedback element and giving you a tangible sense of progression. So, I'd encourage it.

In the short term, it might feel like you are losing woodworking time, but in the long run, you might gain a lot of shop time. If you know what I mean. ;)

Caspar Hauser
06-20-2010, 12:19 PM
+1 on the dog, and the wii fit and another dog and a paper round and a...

Greg Peterson
06-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Larry - I spend a fair amount of time at the gym.

Couple of pointers.

Have a plan and ease into it slowly. Gradually increase the duration and intensity. Too much, too soon and you may become overwhelmed or discouraged.

This is probably one of the most important things to keep in mind when starting out. I think once the enthusiasm wears off all one is left with is sore muscles and the seemingly daunting task of achieving a pre-determined and perhaps unrealistic level of fitness. In other words, take your time and enjoy the journey. That destination you initially start out trying to achieve curiously seems to always be just out of reach.

The Wii is likely a good ice breaker for you. However from the little I have seen or read on the Wii as an effective cardio workout I am skeptical.

A good cardio workout works your heart. Think of it as taking that sedan that only see's city miles and putting it out on the hiway to blow out the carbon. Get that heart rate up near red line for a while. Sweat is a good sign. But pain and discomfort are not. Just be careful to not over do it. It's a marathon, not a race.

The one tool I use for my cardio workout is a heart rate monitor. It's basically a RPM gauge for your heart and takes the guess work out of knowing if you are exerting yourself at the correct level. Determine your maximum heart rate. General rule of thumb is .80(220-Age) = Cardio Heart Rate. My maximum heart rate is 139. .80(220-46) = 139. But during interval training my heart rate briefly will get up into the mid 160's.

The monitor records the duration of the workout and provides an average heart rate for the session. I find this data invaluable.

One thing to keep in mind with any exercise program is variability. The body quickly adapts to the routine. For example, if you go for a thirty minute walk every morning, and you maintain the same rate and level of exertion, the body will learn to conserve energy (fat) and pace itself accordingly.

I do interval cardio training. Work at a high heart rate for a minute or two, then work at a low rate for three or four minutes.

Here's a measure of success on your cardio workout that is seldom mentioned. Anyone can get their heart rate up to the age appropriate level. Getting your heart rate to recover to a lower level is the real trick. Active recovery time is the key and the better, quicker, your active recovery time the better condition your heart is in. When I get my heart rate up into the mid 160's I am more interested in how quickly my heart rate drops back to about 130 than the mere fact that I pushed my HR that high.

In summary:

1. Ease into the lifestyle change.

2. Realize your expectations for condition level are always just beyond your current level. Enjoy the journey.

3. Use a heart rate monitor and record or at least observe your chronological progress.

4. Mix it up. Don't let your body and mind get into that dreaded, predictable routine.

5. Don't give up. Your reward will be better health. And the only regret you will experience from the daily commitment is that you did not do this sooner.

Belinda Barfield
06-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Can't comment on the Wii fit, Larry, but I do have one suggestion. This doesn't work for me, but apparently works for a lot of other people. Have a walk/work out buddy - at least in the beginning. If you have an appointed time to meet someone, and they are depending on you to be there, you may be more likely to keep the routine. The buddy system doesn't work for me because when I work out I like to work out hard and can't stand "chatting". I've only had one work out partner who wasn't a chatter and that was years ago when we were both into amateur competitive body building.

As Greg said, you have to get that heart rate up. You can't just mosey along once you get your exercise tolerance up a bit.

Steven DeMars
06-20-2010, 1:22 PM
I think I'm not getting the whole thread . . . :-(

Anyway to the original poster, Larry . . . You sound like you suffer from the same illness I have, "ATFIGT" . . . . It is a serious illness that last a lifetime. It actually progresses as you get older . . .

"ATFIGT" - aka "All The Fun Is Getting There" . . . .

You know, a new interest turns into a lot of reading, researching & the best part, buying all the "STUFF" needed to participate in this new found interest. You know, tools, more tools, calculators, reference books, etc . . .

I currently have at least a (2) dozen specialized tools or accessories still in boxes that were purchased for projects . . . This does not include the large power tools still in boxes or still sitting on the shop floor waiting for power cords.

I tell my wife this is her "future" cruise money . . . :)
Steve

Steve,

cheers, dee

Jim Koepke
06-20-2010, 2:26 PM
My daily exercise comes from moving to a 5.5 acre lot where the house is at the back and the mail is out at the road. It is about 1/4 mile round trip. If the Netflix needs to be mailed back or the mail is checked early, there will be at least two trips.

Learn to rip saw lumber by hand.

Planing long boards gives me a few more steps walking every day.

Then there are the deer that need chasing out of the orchard.

jim

Lee Schierer
06-21-2010, 9:51 AM
Get a Brittany. Keep it as a house pet not in a kennel. They need to be walked for at least an hour every other day or they will drive you nuts....They also make pretty good companions and a good excuse to get outside. Total cost is a bit higher than a Wii but much more rewarding in the long run.

Jim Rimmer
06-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Can't comment on the Wii but i workout at the YMCA. They have machines that are connected to a computer. You put in yur ID and it tells you where to set the machine, how much weight, etc. The neat part is, it tracks your workouts (someone earlier mentioned feeback). I get a monthly email telling me how many calories I burned on the CV equipment and how many pounds I lifted. It also tracks total number of workouts. My Y uses FITLINX equipment to do all this. I've been doing it for 6-7 years now and the feedback is part of what keeps me going.

Another benefit in addition to health is an increase in stamina. I found after a few months of working out that when I worked around the shop or in the yard, I could work longer or be less tired afterwards.

Whatever you do, good luck, and make yourself stick with it.

David G Baker
06-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Another gift associated with exercising is the fresh oxygen reaching the brain helping your mind work more efficiently. It is amazing how I feel after exercising. I don't exercise enough to get my endorphins going just high on oxygen.

glenn bradley
06-21-2010, 1:06 PM
It has been my experience that if you will not exercise for free (walking, push-ups, yoga, etc.) no item purchased will drive you to do it.

David Hostetler
06-21-2010, 4:57 PM
FWIW, LOML and I are using the Wii Fit Plus (The Wii console, with the balance board, and software package). I should have waited to get the thing along with Sports Resort. I hate to excersize, but I love playing the Wii, and I sweat my backside off, and keep the heart rate up. I have lost 25lbs using this thing in 3 months... I am off of it right now due to a non related foot injury, I will get back on it soon...

My favorite games / excersizes are...

#1. Island Cycling
#2. Rythmn Boxing.
#3. Super Hula Hoop. (Which I bet looks funny with my fat behind workin it...)
#4. Walk It out (separate software, but cheap).

Come to think of it, I think I like the boxing better than the cycling...

Anyway, for just fun, I also like the bowling game. My wife and I play the bowling game with the in laws quite a bit...

Prashun Patel
06-21-2010, 5:24 PM
I don't know anyone who's stuck with the Wii Fit. All of my friends have them; none of them use them anymore.

If it were me, I'd rather invest in an Ipod, and try to get out and walk each day. It's just good for the body, mind, and soul. This seems to be an activity that people are able to stick with.

I've heard getting a pedometer is a good way of making yrself walk more than you otherwise would. However, I'd only suggest that if you were someone who likes that kind of motivation; else it'll just be stressful.

Ryan Welch
06-21-2010, 6:28 PM
and apparently shop time does not count for aerobic exercise.

Why not? I'll tell ya surfacing all the rough lumber for a project by hand with a scrub - fore - smoother combo will give ya plenty of excecise. I know I am sweating my arse off after a couple minutes with a hand plane. Plus, what a feeling after completing a project with electricity only for lighting.

Michael Weber
06-21-2010, 6:37 PM
Larry, can't help with the Wii either. Don't even know what it is. Can attest to the fact that bypass surgery is less pleasant than exercise. Had mine 2 months ago today. Still recovering from that. Never much pain (surprising but a pleasant surprise) but absolutely no energy or desire. I may be preaching to the choir here, but watch your cholesterol (very, very bad). Eat a proper diet. No fast foods especially french fries and similar. Does Mountainburg have a fast food joint? Cut back on meat and load up on fruits/veggies/legumes. Pastries and pies infrequently as well. You know the drill;:D WALK! If you can't walk outside try a treadmill in front of the TV. It helps the time go by.
I walked religiously for 11 years eventually getting up to 5 miles a day on weekdays and further on weekends. My mantra was "regardless of how I feel tomorrow, next year, or 10 years from now, I will feel better for having done this today". Take a long term view and forget about short term gains or fast weight loss. That didn't keep the cholesterol from building up but it strengthened my heart and may have helped prevent a heart attack. So, exercise AND diet (no crash/fad diets please)
AND yes, peanut butter is good for you:D

Michael Weber
06-21-2010, 6:49 PM
I think I'm not getting the whole thread . . . :-(

Anyway to the original poster, Larry . . . You sound like you suffer from the same illness I have, "ATFIGT" . . . . It is a serious illness that last a lifetime. It actually progresses as you get older . . .

"ATFIGT" - aka "All The Fun Is Getting There" . . . .

You know, a new interest turns into a lot of reading, researching & the best part, buying all the "STUFF" needed to participate in this new found interest. You know, tools, more tools, calculators, reference books, etc . . .

I currently have at least a (2) dozen specialized tools or accessories still in boxes that were purchased for projects . . . This does not include the large power tools still in boxes or still sitting on the shop floor waiting for power cords.

I tell my wife this is her "future" cruise money . . . :)
Steve

Lol, I've had this all my life but never knew there was a scientific name for it. Thanks for sharing ;) Do you know of a clinic that helps people with that particular disease?:D. Like you, I have the residue of past hobbies all over the place. Antique cars, making neon, silversmithing, bee keeping, etc etc. None of which I know I will ever return to because by the time I learned the process the interest waned. Sadly, woodworking in no exception and I know I am on the down slope of that:( But it's okay now that I know I'm not alone:rolleyes:

Michael Weber
06-21-2010, 9:55 PM
Why not? I'll tell ya surfacing all the rough lumber for a project by hand with a scrub - fore - smoother combo will give ya plenty of excecise. I know I am sweating my arse off after a couple minutes with a hand plane. Plus, what a feeling after completing a project with electricity only for lighting.

Aha! I see neanders do have a limit. I always assumed you guys did your work by candles and whale oil lamps.

Steven DeMars
06-21-2010, 10:45 PM
CNC Routing ! ! !

Next stop for me . . . .:)

Lol, I've had this all my life but never knew there was a scientific name for it. Thanks for sharing ;) Do you know of a clinic that helps people with that particular disease?:D. Like you, I have the residue of past hobbies all over the place. Antique cars, making neon, silversmithing, bee keeping, etc etc. None of which I know I will ever return to because by the time I learned the process the interest waned. Sadly, woodworking in no exception and I know I am on the down slope of that:( But it's okay now that I know I'm not alone:rolleyes:

Joe Chritz
06-21-2010, 11:56 PM

Easy to stay motivated. Get someone to drive you a couple miles away and drop you off. You can't quite early and turn around.

Joe

Bill Leonard
06-22-2010, 7:55 AM
Might consider taking up golf and walk 18 holes three times a week. If you play as I do then you will get plenty of exercise, since I play military golf. Left, Right, Left, never in the fairway.

Mike Cruz
06-22-2010, 8:21 AM
Larry, I don't own a WII fit, but I have some friends that do, and I have to say that I LOVE it. I can play for hours. I usually have to get dragged away from it.

As for inexpensive exercise, look into community sports. Around here there are softball leagues geared towards "fun" not serious competition, and during the "off season" many of these folks get together for Sunday pick up games. Also, my local Armory has pick up volleyball every Monday night for all levels. For a $20 yearly membership, you can use the Armory as often as you like, for the pick up volleyball, basketball, whatever. Also, going to these things usually gets you in touch with folks that are in leagues. And they are almost always looking for someone. There are also special interest groups that have leagues like total beginners, over 50, or "just for fun". So, check out what your county is offering.

On the other hand, you could get a personal trainer... you may pay a lot more out of pocke for it, but when you actually pay (and have someone to answer to) you tend to go...as opposed to having a membership at a gym...who'll know it you don't go?

Larry Browning
06-22-2010, 6:19 PM
Well, I have finally gotten the Wii setup. I have just started using it. So far so good. However, I am finding that SWMBO is quite a bit better at every game/exercise we have done so far. That's ok, It will be just that much sweeter when I do beat her at something! I know there is lots of stuff I have yet to discover on this thing.
Another thing I learned was that I am now much more popular with the grand kids!

Bryan Morgan
06-23-2010, 1:25 AM
We are considering investing in a Wii fit which is going to set me back $300. I am pretty skeptical of this, due to me past experience with workout equipment.
If you have one of these, what has your experience been with it? Also, do you have any alternative ideas? I have been racking my brain to come up with something I can stick with, and have yet to come up with anything that seems to have even a remote chance of working for me. The wii seems to be my best choice so far, but I am skeptical of that as well.

Wii fit is great for a decoration in your front room. We got the whole setup, plus a few other games that use the board. None of it ever got used. We do P90X and the Wii just doesn't cut it after that, not even close. Get a dog and take it for walks. That way you can rationalize it by realizing you have to take care of the dog. Good motivation to get off the couch.

Dave Lehnert
06-23-2010, 1:43 AM
Now if only they would come up with a Wii woodworking edition.

Like running a board through a planer or hand cutting a dovetail. :)
How about using a hand plane or a foot power lathe?

Dan Mages
06-23-2010, 6:19 AM
How do I say this politely, within the TOS of this site...

Well... If you show LOYL how much you love her in the most passionate way possible, nudge nudge wink wink, you can burn up to 380 calories in 1 hour. ;)

Dan

Zach England
06-23-2010, 8:30 AM
How do I say this politely, within the TOS of this site...

Well... If you show LOYL how much you love her in the most passionate way possible, nudge nudge wink wink, you can burn up to 380 calories in 1 hour. ;)

Dan

You can burn that many calories doing the dishes?

Belinda Barfield
06-23-2010, 8:38 AM
You can burn that many calories doing the dishes?

Yes. They are fairly newly wed, Zach, so it probably still takes them an hour to do the dishes. :)

Michael Weber
06-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Yes. They are fairly newly wed, Zach, so it probably still takes them an hour to do the dishes. :)

You all are making me feel inadequate. Only takes me 30 minutes to do the dishes.

Belinda Barfield
06-23-2010, 11:24 AM
You all are making me feel inadequate. Only takes me 30 minutes to do the dishes.

Yeah, well, I just use the dishwasher . . .:rolleyes:

Zach England
06-23-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't have any "dishes" to "wash"... :(

David G Baker
06-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Belinda,
You have one of the finest senses of humor that I have seen on SMC. Very subtle, a little risqué and always funny. Keep it up, we need your humor.

Belinda Barfield
06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Belinda,
You have one of the finest senses of humor that I have seen on SMC. Very subtle, a little risqué and always funny. Keep it up, we need your humor.

Thank you very much, sir!

Ted Shrader
06-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Larry - I spend a fair amount of time at the gym.

Couple of pointers.

Have a plan and ease into it slowly. Gradually increase the duration and intensity. Too much, too soon and you may become overwhelmed or discouraged.

The Wii is likely a good ice breaker for you. However from the little I have seen or read on the Wii as an effective cardio workout I am skeptical.

The one tool I use for my cardio workout is a heart rate monitor. It's basically a RPM gauge for your heart and takes the guess work out of knowing if you are exerting yourself at the correct level.

The monitor records the duration of the workout and provides an average heart rate for the session. I find this data invaluable.

One thing to keep in mind with any exercise program is variability. The body quickly adapts to the routine. For example, if you go for a thirty minute walk every morning, and you maintain the same rate and level of exertion, the body will learn to conserve energy (fat) and pace itself accordingly.

I do interval cardio training. Work at a high heart rate for a minute or two, then work at a low rate for three or four minutes.

In summary:

1. Ease into the lifestyle change.

2. Realize your expectations for condition level are always just beyond your current level. Enjoy the journey.

3. Use a heart rate monitor and record or at least observe your chronological progress.

4. Mix it up. Don't let your body and mind get into that dreaded, predictable routine.

5. Don't give up. Your reward will be better health. And the only regret you will experience from the daily commitment is that you did not do this sooner.Larry -

I second Greg's comments about varying the exercise routine and more importantly getting a heart rate monitor.

I use a Polar FT80. You can choose your exercise goals. It will establish heart rate goals and you can upload them to the computer with the FlowLink transmitter that comes with it. You even get a little "trophy" after a successful week of workouts. The watch has provided me motivation numerous times when I just "didn't feel like it".

Check out TriNowFitness and search for coupons at the usual sites. Think of it as a new tool - it really is. :)

Regards,
Ted

Michael Weber
06-23-2010, 1:06 PM
I don't have any "dishes" to "wash"... :(

So, your married then?

Zach England
06-23-2010, 1:37 PM
So, your married then?
no, and most likely never will be :(

Mike Cruz
06-23-2010, 2:56 PM
My wife and I don't do the dishes any more. She got a dishwasher. She's done with the dishes in about 5 minutes. Now I don't even have to be around...:rolleyes:

Art Mulder
06-23-2010, 3:58 PM
True, but it's also one of the easiest one's to make excuses for not doing -

"It's too hot today"

"It's too cold today"

I'd like to echo the person who talked about getting a buddy. I would also agree -- make it somehow social and then you have an incentive to go join the group each time.

I'm also not much of a fan of buying stuff, you quickly get used to it or tire of it. I know myself and I hate the boredom of exercise also. We bought a treadmill, I used it for a few months, but now it's strictly my wife's. It bores me to tears. (Maybe if I mounted a TV nearby...)

I would also suggest picking a goal to aim towards. Much like some people have a goal of running a marathon, or shorter race, or a goal of climbing a certain mountain, or cycling in RAGBRAI or some such. Lots of these can be annual goals, so they repeat each year.

And finally -- keep trying different things until they work! I found that long distance cycling was a reasonable fit for me. In particular, once I've ridden 20-40 minutes away from home, I have no choice but to cycle the same distance in order to get back.

Michael Weber
06-23-2010, 9:21 PM
Thanks for bringing the topic back to the original question Art. All this talk about dirty dishes got me totally sidetracked. :o

Greg Portland
06-24-2010, 2:46 PM
Definitely agree with the dog suggestions. The right breed will force you to walk him 2x a day for at least 15min at a good pace. My Akita/cattledog mix will lean against my wife and I whimpering if he hasn't had his walk (yes, he has us trained).

Jeff Monson
06-24-2010, 2:54 PM
My wife and I don't do the dishes any more. She got a dishwasher. She's done with the dishes in about 5 minutes. Now I don't even have to be around...:rolleyes:

you guys and gal are killing me!!! :)

To the op Larry, I have always had a hard time staying consistent with a workout plan, just seemed to boring. I started playing raquetball a few years ago, its a great workout and a ton of fun to boot.

Steve Griffin
06-24-2010, 7:52 PM
I never exercise, but I'm very fit.

What I mean by that is I never waste a minute of my life tangled up with some machine at the gym, or running around the block like I stole something, or going no where on some home treadmill brain torchuring contraption.

The key to being healthy and fit is to find activities that are FUN. The other day I biked 3 hours on a rails to trail pathway. Yesterday I climbed a 1600' mountain and slide down on the spring snow. Today I trail ran up to a cute little lake and meadow.
I ski, bike, hike and run rivers. If those things are not in your backyard, then find some sport you like--basketball,swimming, soccer, road biking etc.

Avoid exercise at all costs. It really sucks. What you need is fun, athletic things to do. There are so many to choose from, only those completely lacking imagination cannot find something better to do than paying big bucks to the gym keepers.

-Steve

Greg Peterson
06-25-2010, 1:04 AM
There is merit in finding activities that engage you on a physical level. And if mountain climbing, single tracking, river running and road biking float your boat, more power to you.

To each his own. Whatever gets you working out.

But if I had to choose between diet or exercise, diet would win out every time. It is pointless to exercise your body if the fuel you put in the tank is of low value. A donut or three may 'hit the spot', but it is devoid of the micro-nutrients, vitamins and minerals a healthy body requires.

Leafy green vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts are key. Avoid foods that come out of a can or box that only require heating. You may certainly enjoy a donut every now and then. The key is moderation.

If you are going to stress your body during exercising, you need to provide the proper nutrients so that it can replenish and rebuild the muscles.

So before you start up in an exercise routine I suggest you do a thorough audit of your diet. Otherwise you will not derive the fullest of the benefits exercise has to offer.

Mike Cruz
06-25-2010, 6:20 AM
Steve, while you have a point, your last statement is a little, well, crass. There are PLENTY of reasons to use a personal trainer or go to a gym rather than participating in a sport or outdoor activity. When you have specific injuries or limitations that require specific workouts to strengthen targeted areas without causing further harm to said injuries, hiking a 1600' mountain, skiing, and running like you stole something aren't (or may not be) in your best interest.

I truely believe that your method is a good one, but not everyone can do it. And to state that "only those completely lacking imagination cannot find something better to do than paying big bucks to the gym keepers" is simply unfair and untrue.

Belinda Barfield
06-25-2010, 9:04 AM
Steve,

Ditto what Mike said and more. I rarely have reason to get my fur up, so to speak, here on the Creek but your comments really offended me.

I have plenty of imagination, and I do lots of outdoor activities. I love to hike. As a female who works long hours, the gym is the safest place for me to work out. We have a lovely rails to trails path here, and women have been raped on that path. It isn't safe to bike the streets after dark either.

Another point is that it isn't safe for those who are elderly to do many of the things you mention, particularly alone.

To make a blanket statement that those who go to a gym are wasteful and unimaginative is just plain rude.

Steve Griffin
06-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Sorry folks, I certainly didn't mean to come off rude. Obviously there are many people who love gyms or find they meet needs unavailable elsewhere. Everyone is different.

I was mainly posting for the opening poster, who clearly has an adversion to traditional exercise just like I do, and I wanted to be very positive and encouraging for him to seek out other options.

-Steve

Steve Griffin
06-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Outstanding advice.

Athletic activity is also more attractive to do if you have a good diet giving you good energy.

-Steve

Pat Germain
06-25-2010, 10:20 AM
I agree that a Wii might be a nice way to break into some kind of aerobic excercise, but that's about all. In order to get into shape and stay that way, some kind of serious exercise will be necessary. And the Wii just isn't it.

My suggestion would be to join a local, inexpensive gym or YMCA. Try out all the different types of equipment: stationary bike, treadmill, free weights, rowing machine, etc. Give each one a good try for awhile and decide which you like best. Yeah, you may not really like any of them, but figure out which works best for you.

After you decide which equipment works best for you, buy that equipment for your home. The fact is, you are MUCH more likely to work out if you don't have to drive to the gym. This is especially true during inclement weather.

Whatever equipment you choose, make sure it is of top quality. A common mistake people make is buying cheap fitness equipment. A good, top quality exercise bike can actually be fun. It will have multiple programs to simulate climbing hills, riding downhill and riding on a flat road. A cheap exercise bike is just stupid and frustrating. (That's why you always see those things at garage sales. Somebody buys it new at Sears, figures out it's stupid, then get's rid of it. The same stupid bike keeps getting passed around until someone finally takes it to the dump, which is where it really belongs.)

When I used to ride Navy ships, I found almost all the big decks had a rowing machine. And nobody ever used it. (The officers used the treadmills and the enlisted used the free weights.) I reallly liked that rowing machine. I hope to someday get one for my home. The good rowing machines are pretty expensive. I'm in good shape now, but as I get older, I'm going to need something to keep that way. It will probably be a rowing machine.

Steve Griffin
06-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Here's a few more ideas:

Water aerobics---my 65year old mom absolutely loves her twice a week class!

Biking. Recumbant bikes look fun don't they? Tricycle bikes are perfect for older folks. I like mountain biking on non-technical dirt tracks, and wife likes road biking.

Water bikes. Got anylakes around that rent these?

Bowling.

Archery. (My wife and I love this. We have a target in the backyard and typically shoot 60 arrows with a non-compound bow a session. Works everything from the waist up.)

Roller skating and Ice skating.

In-line skates. 65 year old mother in law loves this. With knee/elbow pads, wrist guards and helmet and a flat path it's safer than it sounds.

Golf. If you can find a course that allows you to walk.

Softball. Tennis. Racketball. Volly ball.

Walking. Hiking.

Frisbee golf.

Stairs. Got any tall buildings with long stairways? I've found some parking garages with excellent outdoor stairways to hike.

Fencing. Did this as a kid. What a blast and you really get a workout.

Basketball. Soccer.

I'm sure you can think of many others. Just got to think outside of the word "exercise"

-Steve

Mark Hix
06-26-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm a little late on this discussion but here it is...
I have the Wii fit plus and use the yoga functions for stretching and the rest to vary my exercise so I don't get bored. Boxing is great and i like the step program too.

3 months ago, my 2 brothers challenged me to run a 5k with them. We were all on the fat side. I started walking, only a few minutes at first and then longer and longer......built up to 1.5 miles before work.....got delayed due to a poor judgement injury to my feet so I missed about 3 weeks.....short version....I finished the 5k. Not that it matters, 45 minutes, 529th out of 647 (not last!)...I had to walk part of it.....thought I was dong to die at the end but finished upright and running....now we are talking about a 25 mile bike race...:D I still walk at least a mile every day before work and am working toward running the entire 5k.

We live in 3 different cities and the closest one to me is over 100 miles away but the fact that we were going to do this together was the motivator. Your training buddy does not have to be with you, just give you some encouragement. My little brother's motivation is that he does not want to be the "not so old guy that can't do anything." Made sense to me.

vital stats: 49 yrs old, 50+ pounds overweight when I started.....15 pounds lighter now and cut my bloodpressure pills in half already....shooting for no meds and I am gonna make it.

Sorry for the length, sometimes I get long winded.

Joe Chritz
06-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Good for you Mark. Your last line indicates why you have succeeded so far.

Discipline is key in any exercise routine. Find something and do it.

Two old sayings come to mind.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Don't be afraid to take a big leap when one is warranted. You can't cross a chasm in two small hops.

Joe