PDA

View Full Version : 12" Disc Sander

Terry Welty
06-20-2010, 8:15 AM
Looking at Disc Sanders... Unfortunately my area's Craigslist doesn't seem to have much fruit on the tree... Primarily looking at something for occassional use, a benchtop unit would be fine. Thinking about either a Grizzly, Shopfox or Delta. Any thoughts on which has the most bang for the buck? Thanks!!

Carroll Courtney
06-20-2010, 8:50 AM
One of the sanders that I think is neat is the Ridgid brand that is a spindle and comes w/belt sander attachment.If I was in the market for a disc sander,I would strongly consider this tool.Most bang for the buck and HD & Lowes carries them.I think:confused:----Carroll

Aaron Wingert
06-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I compared the Grizzly and the Delta. Being a Grizzly fan I would've preferred to buy theirs but I didn't like the fact that it didn't have a cast iron table. It was aluminum or magnesium as I recall. I opted for the Delta. No appreciable runout, and overall a pretty good tool. I also compared to the Rikon disc sander but the Rikon I looked at had a good 1/16" of runout across the disc...I've heard of people running into that with the Delta's too however.

My only complaint with the Delta is that the disc it comes with is much too coarse and agressive. But that's replaceable.

These things generate massive dust, so be sure you have a means of collection.

Bruce Page
06-20-2010, 10:39 AM
There's some good info in this recent discussion:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142200