PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your walnut saw dust?

Matthew Chamberlin
06-19-2010, 9:51 PM
I was just wondering what everyone else did with their walnut saw dust. I normally just compost my saw dust, but I've been just throwing it away since it's supposedly toxic to certain plants.

Steve Bracken
06-20-2010, 2:59 AM
I was just wondering what everyone else did with their walnut saw dust. I normally just compost my saw dust, but I've been just throwing it away since it's supposedly toxic to certain plants.

I spend a lot of time showering, to remove the nasty brown stuff from just about every crevice :D:D:D

The end product is worth it, but walnut sawdust is horrible!

Cody Colston
06-20-2010, 7:46 AM
I burn it.

Rusty Eads
06-20-2010, 7:56 AM
The power plant close to me uses sawdust and other chippings for biomass

james bell
06-20-2010, 8:01 AM
not good for compost and not good for horses, so i do like cody and throw it on my burn pile.

Steve Southwood
06-20-2010, 8:18 AM
Dump it in the woods, behind the house. That's where is started, that's where it finishes up.

Bill ThompsonNM
06-20-2010, 8:55 AM
From the Cornell extension service-- you can compost it but it needs additional time to break down. Since my compost usually sits for years, no problem. If you're one of those 60 day composters - better let it sit in a separate compost for 6 mo. They suggest you can always test it with tomato seedlings which are sensitive to the toxin.

Phil Thien
06-20-2010, 9:13 AM
I make very fancy (and exotic) walnut MDF with mine.

Matt Meiser
06-20-2010, 9:38 AM
How much are you generating? My next door neighbor says there's no way I can generate enough sawdust from any toxic wood to harm his horses and that I'm welcome to add it to the pile he has trucked in for them.

Neil Brooks
06-20-2010, 10:05 AM
How much are you generating? My next door neighbor says there's no way I can generate enough sawdust from any toxic wood to harm his horses and that I'm welcome to add it to the pile he has trucked in for them.

Those are those beautiful six-legged ponies, though, right ?

:D

Joe Leigh
06-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't believe in sawdust segregation. All of my dust/chips go into large plastic bags and then to the curb.

Howard Acheson
06-20-2010, 1:05 PM

The problem is that the walnut (sawdust or chips) contain a substance that is harmful to horses. I believe the substance is absorbed through the hooves of horses. The folks or stables I have spoken with are very careful only to use non-walnut residue.

Here is some info: http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-254.pdf

Keep walnut residue away from horses.

David Woodruff
06-20-2010, 1:22 PM
I spend a lot of time showering, to remove the nasty brown stuff from just about every crevice :D:D:D

The end product is worth it, but walnut sawdust is horrible!

Try Cocobolo then you will appreciate walnut.

Matt Meiser
06-20-2010, 1:26 PM
Yes I'm aware and that's why he and I talked about it. That article says it can cause problems down to 10% concentration of walnut shavings. He uses many wheelbarrows of shavings each time he cleans the stalls, each is probably about 1 drum of my shavings. I probably generated 8 drums of shavings doing a kitchen? An average project wouldn't probably fill a drum and there would be other stuff mixed in. He has sawdust brought in by the semi-sized dump truck load.

Matthew Chamberlin
06-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Dump it in the woods, behind the house. That's where is started, that's where it finishes up.

Once i save enough money up for that house outside of town, i will. But right now I'm still living on a city lot :(

Matthew Chamberlin
06-20-2010, 11:37 PM

I was given a bunch of ROUGH cut walnut. The last dresser i made produced about 2 garbage cans of planner chips and saw dust. Now I'm working a hallway bench, and i've almost made the same amount.

Dave Gaul
06-21-2010, 8:37 AM
What I don't burn in my fire pit when the kids want to roast marshmellows, I take by bags of sawdust to the local lawn waste dump...

Charlie Plesums
06-22-2010, 2:47 PM
I keep my walnut shavings segregated, and have a waiting list for it.

I understand that horse urine reacts with it to produce a toxin that is absorbed through the hooves of horses. Okay, no horse stables for me. even one that doesn't mind low levels of toxin.

However, walnut contains a chemical that prevents seeds from germinating. If you have a rose garden, you don't plant seeds, and all the weeds come from seeds, plus walnut shavings make a pretty brown mulch. Same for lots of other gardens grown from plants rather than seeds. I put an inch or so under my foundation plantings, and get very few weeds for the next few years.

Ron Blaise
06-22-2010, 2:59 PM
I give it to my nasty neighbors for their flowers :D

glenn bradley
06-22-2010, 4:41 PM
I toss it out in the "green" barrel. I also shake the bags out real good if I plan to use the next non-toxic batch of sawdust in the garden.

Fred Voorhees
06-22-2010, 5:23 PM

Ditto for me.....back in the woods from whence it came.:D

David Gregory
06-22-2010, 6:11 PM
Depending on the sizes of your "end use" Walnut, and whether you get it green or not, I save mine and then pack my "green" pieces in it to slow dry. I do the same with Maple and other woods though Walnut is the only one I will segregate from the rest of the shavings/chips. I use cardboard barrels which let air in and out extremely slowly and the pieces get a chance to dry evenly. Works for me, YMMV.