PDA

View Full Version : SMC Art Challenge 2010 – Jonathan Harvey

Jonathan Harvey
06-19-2010, 7:46 PM
Well here is my first piece. It is a mixture of Maple and Walnut. The center piece is maple that has been dyed and chattered. I then waxed it with a wax that I made up with a combination of Paraffin wax and luster pigment which I think gave the chatter work a nice shimmer. The pieces of walnut and maple were 8" rounds and after the cuts and offset it piece is 10". It has been put together with SS welding wire and now all I need to do is figure out how to hang it on the wall :rolleyes:

Jonathan Harvey
06-19-2010, 7:49 PM
My second piece is a natural edge bowl made from maple that measures 14" and is 6" tall at the highest point. Finished with walnut oil. This was my first attempt at a natural edge bowl and I must say that it was scary. I'll do it again but my nerves were fried by the end of it. Maybe the next one will be easier.

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 7:55 PM
Very well done, Johnathan! I really like both pieces. The art submission has kind of a ying/yang thing going on and the center medallion really ties it together well.

The maple bowl is spectacular! Very good form and the walls look very thin and consistent. Nice!

Scott Hackler
06-19-2010, 9:15 PM
Very, very nice on the art piece. I like that a lot (I may "borrow" that idea for a future project!) How did you do the chattering effect?

Frank Van Atta
06-19-2010, 9:20 PM
Two great pieces.

Jonathan Harvey
06-19-2010, 9:21 PM
Very, very nice on the art piece. I like that a lot (I may "borrow" that idea for a future project!) How did you do the chattering effect?

Thanks for your comments.

In regards to the chatter work I hate to say as I may get grilled on the safety aspect but all I did was re-shaped an old reciprocating blade and put a bur on it then held in it a pair of vice grips. :eek: It was a bit of trial and error but it worked out ok in the end I think.

charlie knighton
06-19-2010, 9:23 PM
very nice....

David E Keller
06-19-2010, 9:27 PM
Nicely done on both pieces. The chatter work on the art piece makes it for me... Nothing wrong with your technique, but you could mount the blade in a handle if you want.

I really like the natural edge piece. It's very graceful looking with it's thin walls and nice curves.

Jonathan Harvey
06-19-2010, 9:55 PM
Nothing wrong with your technique, but you could mount the blade in a handle if you want.

I could but that sort of sounds like extra work ;) and that would prevent me from turning :D

Toney Robertson
06-20-2010, 7:41 AM
The wall hanging is very cool. Very creative.

Nice job on the NE.

Toney

Roland Martin
06-20-2010, 9:05 AM
Very nice work on the wall art, Finding a way to hang it may very well be your biggest challenge:) All the elements tie in very well.
Your NE bowl is very graceful. Can't tell it's your first NE!!
Great work on both and thanks for posting.

Bernie Weishapl
06-20-2010, 9:23 AM
Very nice pieces. I like the wall hanging.

Steve Schlumpf
06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Nice work on both pieces! Really like your natural edge bowl! Great form - wonderful size!

Keep up the good work!

Baxter Smith
06-21-2010, 5:38 PM
Great work!