PDA

View Full Version : A pen a day keeps the doctor away

Karl Card
06-19-2010, 6:25 PM
Here is todays sample. A black cigar pen with Hawaiian Signature wood. Very spalted. Hope you like.

I have got to get me a camera. I have used a minolta 404 now for about 9 years. It was a great camera when I bought it but indoor pics just do not work out.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-19-2010, 7:28 PM
Very nice Karl. Love that wood. Where do you get your pen kits?

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 7:50 PM
Karl, that is some really fantastic wood! Sure would love to have a big chunk of it for a HF turning.

On the camera, I know a lot of the guys have some really nice ones. I am using a fairly inexpensive Fuji FinePix S700, and I have been very pleased with it. I bought it 3 years ago to take on an elk hunt before I ever got into turning. It has a 10x optical zoom, which is great for outdoor shots. But, there are a multitude of them out there now - probably even cheaper than mine.

David E Keller
06-19-2010, 9:36 PM
Nice pen, Karl. I like spalted signature quite a bit, and that's a nice looking piece you've turned there.

JK, you might check ebay for spalted signature... There's a guy in hawaii that does a large volume of pen blank sales but also sells bowl blanks. Joel is his name, but I can't remember the screen name. If you search for curly koa pen blanks, you should come across him.

Karl Card
06-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Nice pen, Karl. I like spalted signature quite a bit, and that's a nice looking piece you've turned there.

JK, you might check ebay for spalted signature... There's a guy in hawaii that does a large volume of pen blank sales but also sells bowl blanks. Joel is his name, but I can't remember the screen name. If you search for curly koa pen blanks, you should come across him.

his screen used to be "eganlaw" now it is "joelinhawaii"

He is a very personable person and a good businessman.
I have bought a bunch and I do mean bunch of pen blanks from him and not ever had a bad word to say about any of his wood.

David E Keller
06-19-2010, 10:25 PM
That's the one. Fast shipping, great product. Nice guy. No financial relationship with him other than he's holding some money that used to belong to me.

Karl Card
06-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Very nice Karl. Love that wood. Where do you get your pen kits?

I pretty much save up enough money to buy directly from the manufacturer. I pay less than half of what kits can be bought for at national retailers, but I also usually buy about $500 dollars worth at a time.

Donny Lawson
06-19-2010, 10:37 PM
That is one nice looking spalted pen and kit.I need to try one of those.
Donny

Chris Hayes
06-20-2010, 7:45 AM
Karl --
good looking pen. I've got several cigars just like that -- from the same sort of wood. I hope you're getting as many compliments on it as I have on mine (swap the hardware over to gold and that's almost identical to my every day pen).
Good going...

Bernie Weishapl
06-20-2010, 9:01 AM
Karl that is a great looking pen. Joel does have good wood.

Billy Tallant
06-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Very nice looking pen. Love that wood you used & the black metal sure makes that wood stand out...