PDA

View Full Version : My 20W tube

Nancy Laird
06-19-2010, 5:18 PM
I think I have mentioned here before that my ULS 20W laser is a 1996 model machine, with the original tube. Well, that wasn't quite accurate--the tube in the machine has a manufacture date of 1999, but that is still 11 years old.

David and I went to Phoenix last weekend and on Monday, took both of our tubes to Universal to have them tested. We just wanted to reassure ourselves that we still had viable tubes, as we have a very busy fall coming up.

ULS ran the specs and tested the 20W, and although it is a little slow on the run up, it is still operating within normal limits and putting out over 20 watts of engraving power. They also did some research, and it turns out that our 20W tube is THE OLDEST TUBE ever manufactured by ULS, in any wattage, that is still in use. They took pictures of it and said they are going to put out some word on their website.

The 40 is also doing great, no problems at all and its a 2005 manufacture, so it's 5 years old. I'm just tickled at the info we got about the 20W tube--and it's proof positive that ULS equipment is the cream of the crop.

I've been running both machines today - they are getting a real workout lately.

Dee Gallo
06-19-2010, 6:03 PM
I love this story, Nancy! I ran a 15 year old Epilog and eventually sold it to another guy who is still using it, but I thought it had died (and was wrong) so I bought a new one. And a backup. So not needing 3 lasers, I sold the oldest one.

It's nice to know that ULS produces excellent reliable products with longevity. You obviously take good care of it and it's taking good care of you too.

cheers, dee

Scott Shepherd
06-20-2010, 8:57 AM
it turns out that our 20W tube is THE OLDEST TUBE ever manufactured by ULS, in any wattage, that is still in use.

Great story! Did you win a free machine? :) You've given them some great marketing material so the least they could do is reward you with a new machine :D

The machines are built like tanks, I'm glad to hear yours are still plugging away after so many years.

Nancy Laird
06-20-2010, 4:04 PM
Great story! Did you win a free machine? :) You've given them some great marketing material so the least they could do is reward you with a new machine :D

The machines are built like tanks, I'm glad to hear yours are still plugging away after so many years.

Oh, Scott, don't I wish??????? We have been toying with the idea of getting another one, but with the 20W running so well, we aren't going to dump it yet. Besides, it's the one that got us into this gig.

We have a lead on a guy who has a shop up in Angel Fire - about 150 miles northeast of here - who has a 100 watt laser, with a 52 x 48 table that can engrave an entry door (he says). If we need extra capacity at times he will sub-contract.