PDA

View Full Version : Tools that should be invented.

Bill Wyko
06-19-2010, 5:10 PM
The other day I was getting ready to make The stiles of the doors of my masterpiece cabinet humidor. I grabbed the piece of wood I had been saving to make them and started cutting. When I cut the first piece I laid it on the table and it rocked from end to end. the wood wasn't stable enough and it twisted. I was surprised (and pissed) because it was from the same tree and color and so on. I thought to myself, "Someone needs to invent a tool that can measure tension int wood grain" Fortunately I had another piece from the same tree at home. It worked out perfectly.

This story made me wonder, how many of you have come across a problem like this and thought "Someone should make a tool that does....."
No board stretchers:eek:, I want tools that could be invented to solve situations that kicked your butt.:D

george wilson
06-19-2010, 5:37 PM
Actually,way back in the late 50's or early 60's a machine was invented that would make boards wider,but it only did so by crushing them wider,and ruining the wood's integrity.

Gene Howe
06-19-2010, 6:06 PM
A magnet that is attracted to non-ferrous metal.
An Wixey like gadget integral to miter saws and table saws, maybe even miter gauges.

Just for fun, a laser guided Japanese pull saw.:D

David Thompson 27577
06-19-2010, 6:31 PM
............... I want tools that could be invented to solve situations that kicked your butt.:D

Like when you're using you're charcoal grill to cook for the family, and the smoke is billowing directly into your face from the right.

What you need there is a left-handed smoke shifter.

Not yet invented, but sorely needed.

Steve Bracken
06-19-2010, 6:35 PM
A near silent router.

I would still like to know it's running, but only barely :)

Jerome Stanek
06-19-2010, 7:39 PM
A near silent router.

That would be a spindle

Karl Brogger
06-19-2010, 7:57 PM
Chisel-Stop

A handheld 3x24 belt sander that is really heavy, works awesome, lasts forever, gray, and worm drive.

An electric orbital sander that lasts more than 12 months:mad:

Dave MacArthur
06-19-2010, 8:21 PM
An exclusive line of women's shoes highly marketed and sought after by all well-dressed ladies, which are not sold in any outlet whatsoever, but can ONLY be acquired in conjunction with a major tool purchase. You want the gold-colored heels from "Christian Yves St de Chanel"? You have to buy the 12" jointer from Powermatic to get them. You want the emerald and cream pair? Gotta purchase the Grizzly 514x2 band saw.

Seriously, whose wife DOESN'T deserve a pair of those shoes?? I know mine does!

Mark Woodmark
06-19-2010, 10:53 PM
A cloaking device that covers my tool deliveries so my wife doesnt see what I bought

Mark P. Miller
06-19-2010, 11:00 PM
An exclusive line of women's shoes highly marketed and sought after by all well-dressed ladies, which are not sold in any outlet whatsoever, but can ONLY be acquired in conjunction with a major tool purchase. You want the gold-colored heels from "Christian Yves St de Chanel"? You have to buy the 12" jointer from Powermatic to get them. You want the emerald and cream pair? Gotta purchase the Grizzly 514x2 band saw.

Seriously, whose wife DOESN'T deserve a pair of those shoes?? I know mine does!

<bowdown> I think that you may be among the wisest that I have ever encountered. </bowdown>

Eiji Fuller
06-20-2010, 5:00 AM
An electric orbital sander that lasts more than 12 months:mad:

Its made by festool. And yes they cost 2-3x but outlast the rest x5 and are much more fun to use.

Steve Southwood
06-20-2010, 8:17 AM
A good cordless router.

Erik Christensen
06-20-2010, 10:19 AM
for me a very loud audible STUPID alarm which would go off BEFORE I....

cut the last piece of hard to shape hardwood molding exactly 1" too short, put the board in the dovetail jig wrong side out and cut a set of beautiful dovetails on the opposite side from the other end, forget to pay attention to grain orientation when breaking down sheet goods and end up with a cross grain cut for the drawer bottom dado and get so much splintering I have to toss all away, etc etc - all of the above in the last 30 days :( :(

I do think management would be more supportive of my hobby if she did not have to listen to all the navy words coming from the shop when i realize the extent of my latest bonehead move.

MY only consolation is - I have been very focused on safety & so far all my mistakes have just been hard on materials or tooling and not me :D :D - My grandfather who got me started on this path defined a good carpenter as "one who can still count to 10 with his shoes on".

Aaron Wingert
06-20-2010, 10:26 AM

I believe that we should all pool our cumulative woodworking talents to build a fine alter on which Dave shall be placed and honored for this miracle of an idea. All hail Dave.

Steve Bracken
06-20-2010, 12:18 PM
for me a very loud audible STUPID alarm which would go off BEFORE I....

cut the last piece of hard to shape hardwood molding exactly 1" too short, put the board in the dovetail jig wrong side out and cut a set of beautiful dovetails on the opposite side from the other end, forget to pay attention to grain orientation when breaking down sheet goods and end up with a cross grain cut for the drawer bottom dado and get so much splintering I have to toss all away, etc etc - all of the above in the last 30 days :( :(

I do think management would be more supportive of my hobby if she did not have to listen to all the navy words coming from the shop when i realize the extent of my latest bonehead move.

MY only consolation is - I have been very focused on safety & so far all my mistakes have just been hard on materials or tooling and not me :D :D - My grandfather who got me started on this path defined a good carpenter as "one who can still count to 10 with his shoes on".

You too, huh?

:D:D:D

Karl Brogger
06-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Its made by festool. And yes they cost 2-3x but outlast the rest x5 and are much more fun to use.

Thats the only one I haven't bought, and trashed in short order. The next time I need to buy new sanders I'm going to give the Festool's a shot. Hopefully they have an interchangable pad with some of the other brands so I can get rid of the hook+loop pad.

Kent A Bathurst
06-20-2010, 12:54 PM
PVC pipe + fittings for dust collection with an integral grounding wire.

Thought I'd get this idea in before Ken F does.:D

John Hoppe
06-20-2010, 2:32 PM
Dave has the suggestion of the year. :D

Now what I would like, and I am sure many others with basement shops, are a line of stationary tools that are as big and beefy as the top of the line ones, but are completely modular in design. Unlock a bunch of cam bolts (or what have you) and that 400lb machine breaks down into 8 50lb pieces that can easily be carried down the stairs and around tight corners to be reassembled in minutes.

Pat Haider
06-20-2010, 3:09 PM
For the Dr. Who fans...
A TARDIS-like device that would allow a 500'x500' shop/mancave to be accessed via an old english police box that would sit in the corner of my tiny garage. :D

mark r johnson
06-20-2010, 6:56 PM
A table saw that does not require a step ladder for use.

Wayne Hendrix
06-20-2010, 7:07 PM
For the Dr. Who fans...
A TARDIS-like device that would allow a 500'x500' shop/mancave to be accessed via an old english police box that would sit in the corner of my tiny garage. :D

Oh wow, that is a great idea. I could keep my shop in the closet.

Will Overton
06-20-2010, 7:12 PM
An Wixey like gadget ... maybe even miter gauges.

You gotta keep up with the times :D

Hartville
http://www.hartvilletool.com/shared/images/products//medium/57319straight.jpg

Sears
http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00929939000-1?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Gene Howe
06-20-2010, 7:47 PM
Will,
Thanks.
I gotta get out more often.:o

Eiji Fuller
06-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Thats the only one I haven't bought, and trashed in short order. The next time I need to buy new sanders I'm going to give the Festool's a shot. Hopefully they have an interchangable pad with some of the other brands so I can get rid of the hook+loop pad.

I think you will be happy with the pad that comes with the sander. The festool paper is actually very reasonably priced. Much cheaper than 3M paper. The ets150/3 is my favorite.

Gary Herrmann
06-20-2010, 10:48 PM
A device that stops time once I enter the shop so the rest of life doesn't keep intruding on my ability to finish a project.

And Dave's idea...

Van Huskey
06-20-2010, 11:53 PM
For the Dr. Who fans...

+1 that is a great idea! Does it also come with a beautiful assistant? Billie Piper would make a perfect one but if Billie is unavailable, Freema Agyman or Kylie Minogue would be welcome as well.

FYI for those that aren't Dr. Who fans TARDIS = Time And Relative Dimension In Space

If you had this would it make you a Wood Lord?

George Neill
06-21-2010, 1:27 AM
I've been working on wood welding rods for years, but so far, the acrid smoke they create has proved the major drawback.

I'm also working on a non-staining, water-based, spray-on solution that permanently stabilises wood and also contains a honing compound so edge tools are automatically sharpened during use. It will also act as a pre-stain conditioner and will buff up to a high lustre. So far I've perfected the sprayable water base.

Hans Braul
06-21-2010, 6:20 AM
Innovation from Bessey: removable jaws that allow me to change length by just using a different bar. But hey, that would mean I'd need to buy fewer clamps, wouldn't it? And that would mean.....

Tom Rick
06-21-2010, 6:52 AM
Some plastic nails for my pin nailer. A few different colors maybe some nice teak brown to start.

Will Overton
06-21-2010, 7:18 AM
Innovation from Bessey: removable jaws that allow me to change length by just using a different bar. But hey, that would mean I'd need to buy fewer clamps, wouldn't it? And that would mean.....

That is brilliant! It would be a space saver, a money saver and is certainly doable. You should send that suggestion to Bessey, Jet and all the rest. It will take only one to go along with it. May even starting with Harbor Freight. :cool::cool::cool:

Karl Brogger
06-21-2010, 9:33 AM
I think you will be happy with the pad that comes with the sander. The festool paper is actually very reasonably priced. Much cheaper than 3M paper. The ets150/3 is my favorite.

Cheaper isn't neccessarily better. I use the cloth backed 300D abrasives, and they aren't available in hook+loop. I'm not really interested in changing. :D

Rod Sheridan
06-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I like the TARDIS shop the best.

My suggestion for a great tool that doesn't exist in any great variety is a tape measure with a standard size case.

Maybe 3 or 4 inches or 75 or 100mm so I don't have to add 3 11/32" to my inside measure.

Regards, Rod.

Chip Lindley
06-21-2010, 12:16 PM
When I cut the first piece I laid it on the table and it rocked from end to end. the wood wasn't stable enough and it twisted. I was surprised (and pissed).....

There is a solution already in use! It's a low-tech thing that has been used for eons: A good eye, and a good jointer (power or hand), to flatten stock, in final preparation of parts. Parts need to be cut oversize, so any small warp or bow can be taken out. Wood is ultimately a very unstable and fluid medium.

Matt Walton
06-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I always thought New Balance should make standing shoes. They make walking shoes, they make running shoes, why not standing shoes?

Eric DeSilva
06-21-2010, 12:35 PM
My grandfather who got me started on this path defined a good carpenter as "one who can still count to 10 with his shoes on".

Shoes and pants?

Jason White
06-21-2010, 2:56 PM
A true riving knife that can be retrofitted onto an older cabinet-style tablesaw.... For under $200!

Jason

The other day I was getting ready to make The stiles of the doors of my masterpiece cabinet humidor. I grabbed the piece of wood I had been saving to make them and started cutting. When I cut the first piece I laid it on the table and it rocked from end to end. the wood wasn't stable enough and it twisted. I was surprised (and pissed) because it was from the same tree and color and so on. I thought to myself, "Someone needs to invent a tool that can measure tension int wood grain" Fortunately I had another piece from the same tree at home. It worked out perfectly.

This story made me wonder, how many of you have come across a problem like this and thought "Someone should make a tool that does....."
No board stretchers:eek:, I want tools that could be invented to solve situations that kicked your butt.:D

Brian Kincaid
06-21-2010, 3:06 PM
A near silent router.

A near silent circular saw.
A near silent vacuum.
A near silent dust collector.
A near silent belt sander.
A near silent bandsaw.
A near silent jointer.
A near silent planer.
A near silent whateverelseIdecidetogetlater.

Yup that about does it :D
-Brian

David Hostetler
06-21-2010, 5:10 PM
Something like a Shop Smith, but with good capacity on the add ons like the jointer / planer / band saw etc... None of the tilting table silliness, a better motor, good fences, good dust collection, cast iron table tops etc... With something like SawStop technology...

Basically I would like it to wrap up the following in 1 package.

#1. 10" or 12" tilting arbor belt drive table saw.
#2. At least 12x36" wood lathe / horizontal boring machine.
#3. Drill press with 5+ inch chuck throw.
#4. AT LEAST 8" planer with long beds. Prefer a 12" sharing a head with the jointer maybe?
#5. AT LEAST a 12" jointer, with good snipe control, good finish
#6. Router table insert for decent router. Doesn't have to run off the thing, just provide the space, the fence, and the dust hoods...
#7. If you can somehow manage it, include a 12" SCMS with dual bevel.

Basically, I think it would be GREAT to have the majority of a shop, with good capacity, tied together into a single machine, that would occupy a great deal LESS floor space than a shop full of tools... All of the sudden a garden shed workshop might just seem roomy...

Rick Fisher
06-22-2010, 5:21 AM
A dust collector that comes on automatically when someone is coming into the shop to interrupt you ..

It would need motion sensors and need to be smart.

Lee Schierer
06-22-2010, 8:18 AM
You have all missed the most important non-invented tool...... a board stretcher for those times when the perfect piece of wood is a bit too short for where you want to use it. Or for those rare occasions when you only measured once and made the cut...

If and when it is invented, I'll order two for my shop.

Bill Wyko
06-23-2010, 12:17 PM
There is a solution already in use! It's a low-tech thing that has been used for eons: A good eye, and a good jointer (power or hand), to flatten stock, in final preparation of parts. Parts need to be cut oversize, so any small warp or bow can be taken out. Wood is ultimately a very unstable and fluid medium.

Unfortunately the wood had no more material that could be removed. When I got it from Wood workers it was already as thin as it could be for this project. It had to meet up with a curved rail so that couldn't be changed w/o a lot of work.

Bill Wyko
06-23-2010, 12:18 PM
A lot of good replies, some a little out of reach but quite fun. keep em coming.:D

Paul Johnstone
06-23-2010, 12:46 PM

I know you are joking, but their K-body extender is wonderful, and a partial solution. No need to really buy a K-body longer than 4-5 feet now..

Darrin Davis
06-23-2010, 11:09 PM
A woman that loves to sand her man's work!

Will Blick
06-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Although ww is as old as the hills...there is one big advantage of its maturity.... there is not much that has not been invented yet.

At best we get small refinements... and as usual, there is 10 ways to accomplish a paticular task in this field. I love the fact companies like Veritas keeps finding new and useful tools to fill those tiny missing voids, or maybe just do a task better...

How about completely non toxic finishes....

Curt Harms
06-26-2010, 9:05 AM
A true riving knife that can be retrofitted onto an older cabinet-style tablesaw.... For under $200!

Jason

but do you know about the ************? It tracks the blade like a true riving knife. I believe what it doesn't do is maintain height relative to the blade like a true riving knife. I've been tempted but find myself not using a table saw all that much lately.
walnutacrewoodworking.com/Online_Store.php add www. or the****store.com

David Keller NC
06-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Actually, all kidding aside I could stand for a few options in power tools that aren't easy to find:

A mid to low-priced, 2 to 3 hp bandsaw that has an 18" re-saw height. Jet's new triangular-frame bandsaw is close, it just needs the higher re-saw height. Included here is the need to mount the motor above the lower wheel so the table height would be no more than 30" off of the floor.

A heavy-duty 8, 12 or 16" jointer that has a non-adjustable, perfectly square fence that can be ordered as an option - i.e., no more checking and re-checking that the fence face is 90 degrees to the table. Saw-stop technology would be a big plus, though I've no idea how one would engineer such a thing into a rotating circular cutter head.

scott vroom
06-26-2010, 2:12 PM
1) A flexible orbital sander that follows the curvature of the stock being sanded.

2) An attachment to the Fein Multi Tool that would allow sanding deep into areas where vertical clearance is limited. It would resemble a pointed concrete trowel and would be super rigid to allow down pressure without bending.

Steve Bracken
06-26-2010, 3:22 PM
but do you know about the ************? It tracks the blade like a true riving knife. I believe what it doesn't do is maintain height relative to the blade like a true riving knife. I've been tempted but find myself not using a table saw all that much lately.
walnutacrewoodworking.com/Online_Store.php add www. or the****store.com

The ************ does track the blade height very closely. It's not quite as good as a designed in solution, but it is very good indeed by all accounts.

And it's relatively affordable too.

Darnell Hagen
06-26-2010, 4:46 PM
I mark my pins from my tails like this:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s168/DarnellHagen/P1510808.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s168/DarnellHagen/P1510809.jpg

I'd like a 100 count box of disposable blades that have two bevels, meeting in the middle in an inverted v. Then I could mark both sides of the kerf instead of the middle.

Gregory Cowart
06-26-2010, 8:58 PM
Something like a Shop Smith, but with good capacity on the add ons like the jointer / planer / band saw etc... None of the tilting table silliness, a better motor, good fences, good dust collection, cast iron table tops etc... With something like SawStop technology...

Basically I would like it to wrap up the following in 1 package.

#1. 10" or 12" tilting arbor belt drive table saw.
#2. At least 12x36" wood lathe / horizontal boring machine.
#3. Drill press with 5+ inch chuck throw.
#4. AT LEAST 8" planer with long beds. Prefer a 12" sharing a head with the jointer maybe?
#5. AT LEAST a 12" jointer, with good snipe control, good finish
#6. Router table insert for decent router. Doesn't have to run off the thing, just provide the space, the fence, and the dust hoods...
#7. If you can somehow manage it, include a 12" SCMS with dual bevel.

Basically, I think it would be GREAT to have the majority of a shop, with good capacity, tied together into a single machine, that would occupy a great deal LESS floor space than a shop full of tools... All of the sudden a garden shed workshop might just seem roomy...

David, I am just down the coast from you in Port Lavaca. I have had a Shopsmith since 1981. It is still out in the shop. I paid $1800.00 for it which as a massive sum in 1981. With all it's short comings, it is one of the best machines I have ever bought. I agree that a heavy duty machine would be great. Have you ever looked at the Laguna machines? Quite pricey, but very impressive. Take care.

mreza Salav
06-27-2010, 2:00 AM
A tape measure that when I call it replies and tells me where it is, same thing for my pencil, and small clamps, and basically everything else that gets lots once I'm half-way through the project!

plus, super nova accelerator that will run the whole shop near the speed of light so that the time slows down when you are working in the shop!

Russell Barnes
07-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Not an orbital that leaves sanding marks, but a high powered STRAIGHT line ELECTRIC sander.

David Thompson 27577
07-02-2010, 1:42 AM
Not an orbital that leaves sanding marks, but a high powered STRAIGHT line ELECTRIC sander.

Or, how about a randon orbit sander that can be easily connected to my shop vac, with the HEPA filter?

Harold Burrell
07-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Hey! Check this out:

http://woodworkersjournal.com/Ezine/Articles/Tools_That_Need_Inventing_GlueUp_Disasters_7600.as px

We're famous!

Bill Wyko
07-04-2010, 4:30 PM
One thing that really should be invented too is a variable speed 6" belt/disc sander. I can't count how many times I would like to sneak up on a line with a belt sander.

Are you tool makers listening?????:D