PDA

View Full Version : Wood going to a friend

Donny Lawson
06-19-2010, 5:04 PM
A friend in New Mexico was looking for some wood for small bowls and I have plenty so I decided to send him a package.Here is what I came up with and I hope he can make some nice turnings from it.I filled the box to the rim with everything I could get in there.It will be going out on Monday.A large flat rate box is only $14.50 so I think that's a pretty good deal.
Donny

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 5:10 PM
Your friend is a lucky guy!! And, what could be bad about a deal with free wood, already rounded out, and free shipping!:D Nice gesture on your part Donny! I am sure your friend will be appreciative.

Michael James
06-19-2010, 5:21 PM
Your friend is a lucky guy!! And, what could be bad about a deal with free wood, already rounded out, and free shipping!:D Nice gesture on your part Donny! I am sure your friend will be appreciative.

I'll bet he is John, and if I were him Id head out right now and get a MO for all that beautiful wood, and be grateful for the kindness for a long time.

David E Keller
06-19-2010, 5:31 PM
They say it's better to give than to receive, but they are obviously not turners. Nice looking package.

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 7:58 PM
I'll bet he is John, and if I were him Id head out right now and get a MO for all that beautiful wood, and be grateful for the kindness for a long time.Sounds like words spoken by an appreciative friend!!;)

Donny Lawson
06-19-2010, 9:47 PM
Michael, if you like what you get and need or want more just let me know.I wish I could have stuffed a nice Walnut,and Magnolia bowl blank in there but maybe next time.Just enjoy and post some pics if you can.
Donny

brian watts
06-19-2010, 9:52 PM
very nice of you doing that..your the man....

David Hullum
06-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I am jealous! Wanna do a wood trade? I got mesquite and spalted willow, some mimosa too. :D Great to be friends with you :D

Donny Lawson
06-19-2010, 10:47 PM
I would love to have some spalted willow.What kind of wood you looking for?I'm game for a wood trade.
Donny

brian watts
06-19-2010, 11:24 PM
:D donny you going to be home sunday??

brian watts
06-19-2010, 11:25 PM
I am jealous! Wanna do a wood trade? I got mesquite and spalted willow, some mimosa too. :D Great to be friends with you :D

mesquite sounds good..:D

Jeff Nicol
06-19-2010, 11:39 PM
He guys, I don't have any of the great southern woods that have been mentioned in the thead. I am looking for someone who has some Texas ebony that they would like to share! I know it is tough stuff to come by, but it sure is darn purty!

I have tons of stuff that I will never turn in a lifetime and more to go pick up and cut into blanks. I plan on running the Woodmizer in the moring for a few hours of Fathers day recreation, so I will have a fresh stock of stuff!

Happy Fathers day to all the Dads tomorow,

Jeff

Karl Card
06-20-2010, 12:37 AM
folks i gotta box here ready to go of some african woods. I made it up for a trade and then it just never did happen so if anyone has some wood to trade id be game. Now I will have to say that mine has a couple of rosewoods, purple heart, mahogany, limba, lati (white wenge) and i have to be honest I am not sure of what is what on some of it. I just know it is mostly from africa. absolutely no native woods in it. There is 100 pieces in this box 1x1x6 some might be 7/8 x 7/8 x 6

basically looking for mesquite, any of the fruitwoods, pecan, bowl blanks of pecan, hackberry, persimmon, kentucky coffee, black locust... the only thing i wouldnt be interested in is something ive got or pine.

PM me if you interested

Donny Lawson
06-20-2010, 8:42 AM
Brian, I will be home until about 3:00 or so.
Donny

David Hullum
06-20-2010, 6:40 PM
I would love to get my hands on anything. I have only turned Willow, Cedar, Mesquite and Mimosa, one piece of maple and walnut.

brian watts
06-20-2010, 7:09 PM
Brian, I will be home until about 3:00 or so.
Donny

i get with you this week sometime in the evening.. need a truck load of some wood..

brian watts
06-20-2010, 7:11 PM
folks i gotta box here ready to go of some african woods. I made it up for a trade and then it just never did happen so if anyone has some wood to trade id be game. Now I will have to say that mine has a couple of rosewoods, purple heart, mahogany, limba, lati (white wenge) and i have to be honest I am not sure of what is what on some of it. I just know it is mostly from africa. absolutely no native woods in it. There is 100 pieces in this box 1x1x6 some might be 7/8 x 7/8 x 6

basically looking for mesquite, any of the fruitwoods, pecan, bowl blanks of pecan, hackberry, persimmon, kentucky coffee, black locust... the only thing i wouldnt be interested in is something ive got or pine.

PM me if you interested

can get all the hackberry you need ..

Donny Lawson
06-20-2010, 9:03 PM
Brian, I would like to have some Hackberry.,especially if any of it is spalted.Let me know.
Donny

brian watts
06-21-2010, 8:38 PM
Brian, I would like to have some Hackberry.,especially if any of it is spalted.Let me know.
Donny

donny . i email the guy that has the hackberry TREE . let you know when i hear something..

karl . let you know to about it..

John Hart
06-21-2010, 8:59 PM
Donny...you're a good man. Michael....We expect great things....:)

Jeff Fagen
06-21-2010, 9:00 PM
My Neighbors reletives are visiting from Arizona and asked if I knew where they could buy some red cedar one-by for a friend that makes segmented bowls.
I said I thought I'd saved some from a project years ago.
I gave them a box of scraps and told them that it was a gift from one bowl turner to another.
I have been given lots of free turning wood,so lets keep it going around.

Michael James
06-23-2010, 7:36 PM
Donny,
I was thinking about your kind gesture, and I could just imagine your friend's joy, coming home from the daily grind and finding that gift on his front porch bench. And from the looks of the size of that cherry "round", I'll bet his jaw dropped too! And Im sure as he thinks about all the wood, the effort, the very generous gesture, and the man that sent it, his heart is probably full of sincere gratitude!
mj