PDA

View Full Version : +1 Garage Shop vote

Mike Olson
06-19-2010, 4:07 PM
A while ago there was a thread about which is better, Garage shop or Basement Shop. Well, I have a basement shop that I really like but just found a big negative for it.

Because I have kids, all my tools get put away before I leave the shop. Well i was sharpening some plane irons with sandpaper on my glass plate. I didn't put away the sand paper since they can't hurt themselves with that right?

My 2 year old daughter apparently went into the shop and grabbed a piece of sandpaper off the bench. Went upstairs, and proceeded to sand the paint off the wall in her brothers bedroom. If I had a garage shop this wouldn't have happened right?:rolleyes:

Tim Hanus
06-19-2010, 4:29 PM
It would happen, you can't stop a 2 ye old from anything. Even if you did not have a shop, she would have some sort of tool to accomplish the mission. :)

Bruce Page
06-19-2010, 5:12 PM
It sounds like you need a lock on the door. The little ones are more resourceful than we give them credit for – just ask any emergency room doctor.

David Hostetler
06-19-2010, 7:41 PM
I have a garage shop. No keeping kids out of it. HOWEVER you CAN kid proof, more or less the shop with locking cabinets, and a sub panel with a main breaker that you can throw off, and then lock the panel.

Even if you had everything locked up, she may have gone to the yard and grabbed a rock or something along those lines, or used mommy's emery board, or the cheese grater from the kitchen cupboard or... You get the idea...

Kent A Bathurst
06-19-2010, 8:02 PM
Wait till her brother grabs a plane and heads to her room.

"For every crime, there's retribution". (early) Fleetwood Mac

Dave MacArthur
06-19-2010, 8:14 PM
Oh yeah, my 2yo just drew on a cherry cook-top cabinet with a marker this week... Black marker all over my book-matched flame pattern sides.

I decided it was a test given me by the Lord, like Job, to see how much I could take and still remain pious. Which of course I failed miserably, but my angelic wife passed with flying colors--especially when she produced something called Magic Eraser and actually ERASED some black marker off of danish-oil finished cherry. Wow, good stuff!

While we were cleaning the cabinet, the 2yo found the baby-power and made it snow for her Thomas the Train set. You can't win for trying ;)

Lock those knives and sharps up, lock the shop up, lockout the power, keep the guns unloaded. Murphey's Law is at work x100 with them chilluns!

Mitchell Andrus
06-19-2010, 9:46 PM
A while ago there was a thread about which is better, Garage shop or Basement Shop. Well, I have a basement shop that I really like but just found a big negative for it.

Because I have kids, all my tools get put away before I leave the shop. Well i was sharpening some plane irons with sandpaper on my glass plate. I didn't put away the sand paper since they can't hurt themselves with that right?

My 2 year old daughter apparently went into the shop and grabbed a piece of sandpaper off the bench. Went upstairs, and proceeded to sand the paint off the wall in her brothers bedroom. If I had a garage shop this wouldn't have happened right?:rolleyes:

The shop is like any other room to a kid. Do you lock up the knives and unplug the toaster in the kitchen? Let common sense be your guide.

Bruce Page
06-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Oh yeah, my 2yo just drew on a cherry cook-top cabinet with a marker this week... Black marker all over my book-matched flame pattern sides.

I decided it was a test given me by the Lord, like Job, to see how much I could take and still remain pious. Which of course I failed miserably, but my angelic wife passed with flying colors--especially when she produced something called Magic Eraser and actually ERASED some black marker off of danish-oil finished cherry. Wow, good stuff!

While we were cleaning the cabinet, the 2yo found the baby-power and made it snow for her Thomas the Train set. You can't win for trying ;)

Lock those knives and sharps up, lock the shop up, lockout the power, keep the guns unloaded. Murphey's Law is at work x100 with them chilluns!

Trust me, 30 years from now all you'll do is smile at the memories. ;)

Buck Williams
06-20-2010, 8:49 AM
I hope you didn't miss the opportunity to make this an important learning opportunity for her. She should be disciplined and lectured to until she understands what she did is clearly wrong. She needs to understand that, when sanding, one always starts with a coarser grit paper, and gradually works up in steps to the finer grits. #:^)