PDA

View Full Version : Home Computing...

Keith Starosta
11-29-2004, 12:16 PM
....the 1954 Popular Mechanics version of it, anyway!! :eek:

This sorta looks like something I donated a couple of years back!! ;)

Keith

Boyd Gathwright
11-29-2004, 12:27 PM
…. With the steering wheel there it looks more like an under water sub than a computer for the year 2004.
<O:p</O:p

Time has put a new face on everything :cool:.

<O:p</O:p

Boyd

....the 1954 Popular Mechanics version of it, anyway!! :eek:

This sorta looks like something I donated a couple of years back!! ;)

Keith

Michael Perata
11-29-2004, 1:15 PM
My first technical job in 1967 was with IBM fixing System 360 boxes, and they were bigger than the one in the picture.

I remember doing a major EC to upgrade "Core" storage from 8"K" to 16"K" and dropping the upgrade core (50#+) on my foot and breaking two toes.

Now you can carry a Gig of 32bit memory in your shirt pocket.

John Gregory
11-29-2004, 1:20 PM
I work as an IT manager. Thanks for sharing this picture with us.

Dan Mages
11-29-2004, 1:43 PM
Sorry folks, it is a fake.
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp
The picture is actually photoshop job of a WWII submarine exibit at the Smithsonian.

Dan

Keith Starosta
11-29-2004, 1:47 PM
I hate it when I get HAD like that!! Oh well, chalk one up to the goofball that originally created and sent it!

Keith

Ted Shrader
11-29-2004, 2:12 PM
Sorry folks, it is a fake.
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp
The picture is actually photoshop job of a WWII submarine exibit at the Smithsonian.

Dan
Dan -

True, it is not a "home computer of the future", but it is not from a WW II submarine either. The items in the picture are from a cold war era nuclear submarine maneuvering room. Starting at the left (where the "steering wheels" are) is the SPCP, RPCP and the EPCP - Steam Plant Control Panel, Reactor Control Panel and the Electric Plant Control Panel. The wheels are actually the throttles - the large one is for answering Ahead Bells, the small one for answering Backing Bells.

Spent countless hours "in the box" (Maneuvering Room) on several submarines.

Ted

John Gregory
11-29-2004, 2:40 PM
With photo editing software so easy to use. One cannot trust any picture from the internet. We learned that after the 911 attack on America. I hate it when I fall for this stuff.

Ed Falis
11-29-2004, 5:20 PM
Or as Bill Gates supposedly said "Who could possibly need more than 64KB of memory"?

- Ed

Ken Garlock
11-29-2004, 8:23 PM
My first technical job in 1967 was with IBM fixing System 360 boxes, and they were bigger than the one in the picture.

I remember doing a major EC to upgrade "Core" storage from 8"K" to 16"K" and dropping the upgrade core (50#+) on my foot and breaking two toes.

Now you can carry a Gig of 32bit memory in your shirt pocket.

Hey Michael, the "good old days" when a REAL computer needed 208v 400 cycle from a set of motor-generators in the basement, and cold de-ionized water circulating. My first real programming job was on 360/30, then 360/50 and 65.

If you want some war stories, ask someone about the old SAGE computers that took up a 2 story building. When I was in the USAF, and stationed at Hanscomb Field, Boston, my office was where part of the SAGE memory sat. Now that was big. :eek:

I think I will stay with todays computers that you stick under your arm :)

Michael Perata
11-29-2004, 9:03 PM
My first real programming job was on 360/30, then 360/50 and 65.

Yeah, but were you one of the old guys who programmed in 1401 emulation, or were you a new guy trying his hand with the ORIGINAL DOS, or maybe Big Daddy OS/360?

360/65 - monster (literally) machines with 1,024K of storage and rows and rows of 2401 tape decks and 2311 disk drives.

Ken Garlock
11-30-2004, 8:06 PM
Yeah, but were you one of the old guys who programmed in 1401 emulation, or were you a new guy trying his hand with the ORIGINAL DOS, or maybe Big Daddy OS/360?

360/65 - monster (literally) machines with 1,024K of storage and rows and rows of 2401 tape decks and 2311 disk drives.

No, Michael, I never did any 1401 coding or maintenace. I do vaguely remember that we had a disk OS for the mod 30s. You had to put a bunch of assign cards in the front of your deck. There was a foreground task, f1, and a background task. You ran a print task in f1, and the work in the batch task. The card reader was the only input device(2540?) and the 1403 printer for output.

On the Mod 65 we ran MFT(multiple fixed tasking) and that machine would fly, at least for its day. JCL(job control language) was really a step forward after those darn assign cards.