PDA

View Full Version : New bowls

Greg Taylor
06-19-2010, 9:21 AM
A few weeks ago I asked for advice on tearout on a piece of marblewood I was trying to turn. Here is the finished result along with two other bowls in figured maple. The slender one I managed to get to 1/8" thick and is about 5" by 1 3/4" tall. The other maple is almost 6" by 2" tall. The marblewood is between the other two in size. All are oiled and then buffed. The slender one also got some lacquer before buffing. Not all the photos are good...sorry. These will be gifts to the three members of my dissertation committee who, finally, granted me a PhD. (That took way too long to get...I mean many, many years too long.) Thanks to all who've given help to a newbie....now...on to the skew chisel and a pepper mill (and given my practice runs this morning I'm not touching the good wood for a while!).

Norm Zax
06-19-2010, 9:55 AM
Well done and very elegant bowl Dr. Taylor!

David E Keller
06-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Congrats on the PhD(short for piled higher and deeper I'm told). All will make for great gifts, but I'd hold out for the last one if I were in line to receive one... I like the curves.

One unsolicited tip... try using a photo editing software to eliminate the golden hue of the photos. I think the wood and your hard work will shine even more if the white balance is corrected.

Donny Lawson
06-19-2010, 10:53 AM
I really like the Marblewood.
Donny

Greg Taylor
06-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Congrats on the PhD(short for piled higher and deeper I'm told). All will make for great gifts, but I'd hold out for the last one if I were in line to receive one... I like the curves.

One unsolicited tip... try using a photo editing software to eliminate the golden hue of the photos. I think the wood and your hard work will shine even more if the white balance is corrected.

Piled higher and deeper is right...oh so right! Thanks for the photo tip. I have Photoshop Elements but I'm a basic user and haven't spent much time figuring it out.

bob svoboda
06-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Nice bowls. I especially like the figure in the Marblewood. Congrats on becoming Post Hole Digger! :D

David E Keller
06-19-2010, 2:53 PM
I have Photoshop Elements but I'm a basic user and haven't spent much time figuring it out.

I use the same program. On the right hand side near the top, there is an option to select guided editing. Among the choices on the guided edit, there is one to correct color cast/hue. It's pretty straight forward, but let me know if you have any questions.

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 3:20 PM
Congrats!!!! You just gotta be feeling good about the accomplishment. I am sure a lot of hard work went into your degree.

Great job on the bowls as well, and like David, I like the thinner bowl. Better lines, and the inside curve is sweet.

Piled higher and deeper is right...oh so right! Thanks for the photo tip. I have Photoshop Elements but I'm a basic user and haven't spent much time figuring it out.

And, like you and David, I use PE for my pics. Most of the time, I get great results by just clicking auto contrast and auto color correction. Then, I resize to 1024 x whatever, and save at about 60% reduction. Usually comes out about right for upload.

Bernie Weishapl
06-20-2010, 9:37 AM
Great looking bowls. Marblewood looks good.