PDA

View Full Version : Delta vs. Jet 14" Bandsaw

Paul McGaha
06-19-2010, 9:13 AM
I have a Jet 14" Closed Stand Bandsaw I bought new about (5) years ago. Very low miles on it.

I am looking at a Craigslist ad for a similar saw from Delta. The model number is not listed but from looking at the pictures in the ad it would appear to be the Platinum Edition Saw from Delta. The pictures look to be a hobbiest environment.

Both are 1 HP. Neither has a riser block installed, The Jet is of course Asian made but I'm not sure about the Delta.

I'm not sure how these saws really compare head to head but if the Delta is a markedly better saw I think I could upgrade and not be out too much.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

PHM

Cary Falk
06-19-2010, 10:40 AM
It is a lateral move. If you want a different saw, save your money for a 17-19" metal framed bandsaw.

Fred Voorhees
06-19-2010, 10:53 AM
It is a lateral move. If you want a different saw, save your money for a 17-19" metal framed bandsaw.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.....wouldn't be worth the tradeout for any significant gain.

Van Huskey
06-19-2010, 1:53 PM
I agree, the saws are basically the same to begin with. The biggest differences are guides and motors both of which are easily upgraded if need be. The next logical move up would be a steel framed saw, either a 14" with ~12" resaw or a 16-20" saw.

Dave MacArthur
06-19-2010, 1:58 PM
Concur, no significant change. The Jet 14" saws and the various Delta models have all rated similar in recent woodworking mag reviews, in fact the last one I have with 14" reviews picked the Jet above the Delta. Delta is also made in Asia I am almost 100% sure.

If you're looking for something that is a decent upgrade, for that price range, take a look at the Grizzly G0513P --they've introduced a white painted version of their massively-well reviewed saw, and it's only $695 or so. 17". They also have the 513x2 with various cast-iron upgrades for a bit more.

Here's a great thread on this new series which I think will help you, as it has discussion on the move from 14" to 17":
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1440796

Honestly, if I had a good 14" saw like the Jet and felt I needed to do an upgrade, there is no way I'd be considering another 14" clone.
Good luck,
Dave

Mike Cutler
06-19-2010, 5:21 PM
The most significant difference, in my opinion, is the design of the lower guide/thrust bearings on either machine. They are reversed. The delta has the thrust/guide bearings closer to the underside than the jet does, and the orientation of thrust/guide on the lower assembly is reversed.. Ergo less of the blade is unsupported between guides on the Delta as compared to the jet. However, it's not a big deal, and I agree that a bigger saw in the future would be a better decision.

george wilson
06-19-2010, 5:35 PM
The Delta is now Asian made. Unless you can get the old USA model with the hexagonal guide bar for the upper guides,and the thicker casting WITHOUT the open sided vertical arm,it probably isn't worth any more than the Jet.

David G Baker
06-19-2010, 8:26 PM
Don't know about Jet but I have a Delta band saw that needs a few parts but Delta no longer sells parts for my saw so I have stopped buying any Delta products that are not made in the good old USA.

Paul McGaha
06-19-2010, 8:52 PM
Thank you all for your comments.

I'll just stay with what I have.

PHM