PDA

View Full Version : I like curvy legs!

Al Navas
06-19-2010, 9:01 AM
Another forum is conducting a contest to "build anything out of a 2 x6 x 8-foot long construction board" - ONLY wood from this board is allowed. ONLY SPF (spruce-pine-fir) is allowed; no fasteners, and only glue and finish of some kind - wood-burning is considered a finish.

Here is my entry:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/table-done.jpg

Thanks for looking! If interested, I have several articles, and photos of the build in my blog articles.

Jamie Buxton
06-19-2010, 10:42 AM
How big is your table? Or another way of asking the question -- is it sitting on a 2x4?

Al Navas
06-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Darn! I forgot to put in the dimensions - it is sitting on a large rustic bench:

The top is 10" x 36", and it is just over 9" tall. My intent was to make it 15" tall, but last-minute "adjustments" resulted in lessened height. :)

Abi Parris
06-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Nice! I like your curvy legs ;)

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 1:03 PM
Pretty neat, Al!! From the dimensions and the scale, it looks like the top is considerably less than 3/4" - and, while I have not checked the blog, did you steam bend the legs and spreader?

Jacob Robinson
06-19-2010, 1:15 PM
I love it! you're going to need to scale that up and make a dining room table!

Al Navas
06-19-2010, 1:25 PM
Nice! I like your curvy legs ;)

:) Thanks, Abi!

Pretty neat, Al!! From the dimensions and the scale, it looks like the top is considerably less than 3/4" - and, while I have not checked the blog, did you steam bend the legs and spreader?

Thanks, John! The top is 7/16". with a bevel on the bottom edges, thus the much lighter look I wanted.

I did not use steam. Instead, I resawed the 2"x6", laminated the thin pieces, and pressed in a mold I made:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/table-legs.jpg

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/table-curves-apply-glue.jpg

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/table-curves-gluing.jpg

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/table-curves-outof-mold.jpg

If there is interest, I will show how to make the mold. It is very easy, and a vacuum bag is not needed for such narrow bent laminations.

I love it! you're going to need to scale that up and make a dining room table!

Thanks, Jacob! I will be playing with the stretchers and legs, to investigate making a full-size trestle table with the curves.

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 1:34 PM
Thanks, Al. What glue are you using?

Al Navas
06-19-2010, 1:37 PM
The glue is Unibond 800, which I use in all veneering. For bent laminations I also prefer using this glue, as it is very rigid, and gap-filling to some extent. And, most importantly, it does not add water like DAP's plastic resin glue does. This is good, as the wood does not swell.

John Shuk
06-19-2010, 1:41 PM
You nailed it.

Bill Wyko
06-19-2010, 4:47 PM
I think you have a winner. Nice job.

Rick Markham
06-19-2010, 8:33 PM
I for one would love to see how you built the mold! That is a visually stunning table, by the way. I hope you win!

Al Navas
06-19-2010, 8:43 PM
Thanks, John, Bill, and Rick!

Rick,

I will post a tutorial, with a step-by-step record of how I built the mold for the bent laminations used to make the legs on this table. Glad you like it!

Al Navas
06-19-2010, 10:20 PM
If anyone else is interested, I posted a How-To make the mold for the bent laminations that became the curved legs, in a separate thread here (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142697).

Rick Markham
06-20-2010, 1:21 AM
Thanks Al!!! I greatly appreciate it!

Al Navas
06-20-2010, 8:25 AM
:) You are welcome, Rick! THAT is the beauty of these forums. :cool:

Salem Ganzhorn
06-21-2010, 8:35 PM
Wow, that is amazing. It looks nothing like a 2x6 :). I guess your bandsaw is pretty finely tuned or you would have lost alot to plaining.

Nice!
Salem

Hans Braul
06-22-2010, 6:51 AM
Wow - that's beautiful I love it.

Al Navas
06-22-2010, 8:12 AM
Wow, that is amazing. It looks nothing like a 2x6 :). I guess your bandsaw is pretty finely tuned or you would have lost alot to plaining...
Thanks, Salem! The old Grizzly band saw is now tuned to the max. I bought a Laguna Resaw King blade a couple of months ago, when they were having a special (I first learned about the offer right here here on SMC). Then I received the DriftMaster resaw fence from Laguna. The two make for wonderful resawing results - VERY easy to install, and a dream to use.

Wow - that's beautiful I love it.
Thanks, Hans!

Christopher Stahl
06-22-2010, 5:32 PM
Al, you did an awesome job. I think it's beautiful and a winner.

Al Navas
06-23-2010, 6:20 AM
Thanks, Chris. I am very glad you like it :) .

Jeffrey Makiel
06-28-2010, 9:53 AM
Al,
That looks like a fun project. I like the design because of those curves. It gives the piece a graceful look.

-Jeff :)

Billy Trinh
07-03-2010, 4:11 PM
Just saw the contest result. Congrats! Beautiful work!

Al Navas
07-04-2010, 2:53 PM
Billy, Jeffrey, and everyone else,

Thanks to all! Never did I believe the table would do well. But it did, and I am happy :) I encourage all of you to give it a try next time you see an announcement for a contest, no matter how trivial, "easy", or complex it appears. It will help advance YOUR skill set!!!

Van Huskey
07-06-2010, 7:32 AM
Very nice, good to be reminded of what can be done with so little. One of my friend and I have been planning a 48hr BORG build off. Our rules so far are 48 hours, from supply pickup on Friday until the same time on Sunday. $150 budget (pre tax) and everything must come from a BORG and everything including hardware, consumables and finishing supplies goes in the budget. We have been putting it off trying to find a suitable weekend for both of us, seems more fun if we are actually working at the same time. This has got me interested in pushing the "contest" once again.