PDA

View Full Version : quick release nut on vise - how to install?

Tom Hassad
06-19-2010, 1:07 AM
I took apart a vise I bought from Lee Valley (GROZ?) a few months ago and I should have kept track of how the parts were oriented. The QR nut sits on the spindle - has a flat piece that has a lever on it that engages or disengages from the spindle when it makes contact with either the top of the housing or the base plate. Problem is I do not know which way the QR nut is supposed to be oriented when I install it - I can try the hard way and experiment - or I thought I would ask to see if anyone has the answer - which may save me a lot of time. I just don't know which direction that flat piece should sit in relation to either the housing I also need to screw back on or the base plate.

Thanks, Tom.

Tom Hassad
06-19-2010, 6:57 PM
Sorry, this is a York quick release front vise. I was turning the nut in different directions and it works but when I go to tighten it again it no longer engages with the spindle and continues to tighten so the spindle just turns and turns in the nut and nothing happens. I just wish there was better documentation of how to reinstall this nut.

Darnell Hagen
06-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Is it a half nut set up? I can't tell from your post, if the vise has been used that nut could be worn out. It's the weak point of the design.

Got photos?

Darnell Hagen
06-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Here's a pic from an old Columbian, does it help?

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s168/DarnellHagen/vise.jpg

Tom Hassad
06-28-2010, 5:39 PM
Hi - I have a half nut design and what I did was I took out the nut and flipped it around and that seems to have done the trick - the only reason whyu I say seems is I need to re-install the vice and see how it runs with the effects of gravity but thanks for those who responded - I'll post again if it becomes a problem.