PDA

View Full Version : Northfield 12" planer

Casey Carr
06-19-2010, 12:34 AM
I've got an opportunity to buy a 12" Northfield jointer. It's their medium duty line, as it weighs about 1100 lbs. What are some things to look for in a used jointer? Figured I'd take my straight-edge over and check it out the tables to make sure it's not too far out of flat, anything else outside of the obvious cracks in castings and the sort.

Unfortunately, I can't power it up as it's 3 phase and he doesn't have that. The switch was also broke when it got shipped to him. What would be easier? Switching out the motor to single phase and putting a new switch in, or sticking with the 3 phase motor, slap a new switch on and get ahold of a phase converter?

Here's the brochure on it. http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/Brochures-PDF/MediumDutyJointers.pdf

It's also belt driven.

Thanks for any kind of input.

Joe Jensen
06-19-2010, 1:07 AM
Northfield is the best of american iron, the old school style iron. Designs like that depend on the accuracy of the machining and Northfield did and does it really well.

What price?

Rick Lizek
06-19-2010, 5:38 AM
Typically I put a VFD from factorymation or driveswarehouse. That will take care of the three phase issue and switch in one shot. 0.010" tolerance is acceptable on the tables with a machined straight edge. HOW MUCH MONEY???? I rebuild machinery and would buy this machine sight unseen for the most part depending on the price.

Frank Drew
06-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Casey,

I had a belt-driven Fifties era model of that machine from 1981 until fairly recently; it was a workhorse in my shop and I never had any issues with accuracy or reliability.

Only quibble, the cutterhead had neither raising screws nor springs under the knives, so setting the blades was a PITA, but not one that I had to do very often. Depending on when "your" machine was made, it might have a newer style cutterhead, maybe even 4-knife.

I'd recommend the machine in any case (barring obvious deal-breaking defects.)

Bruce Page
06-19-2010, 11:34 AM
As already said, Northfield is the best of the best, IMO.
I'd jump on it barring any major problems. Minor problems can be fixed and you should still be able to get parts for it from Northfield.

Be sure to post some pics!

Van Huskey
06-19-2010, 3:27 PM
Casey,

I had a belt-driven Fifties era model of that machine from 1981 until fairly recently; it was a workhorse in my shop and I never had any issues with accuracy or reliability.

Only quibble, the cutterhead had neither raising screws nor springs under the knives, so setting the blades was a PITA, but not one that I had to do very often. Depending on when "your" machine was made, it might have a newer style cutterhead, maybe even 4-knife.

I'd recommend the machine in any case (barring obvious deal-breaking defects.)

I know Byrd makes a head for the HD line not sure about the MD line but that would fix all the issues with the head in one shot. Man that would be a nice jointer, best of the old and best of the new!

Rich Dill
06-19-2010, 4:42 PM
Buy it before someone else does!!!

Casey Carr
06-19-2010, 4:47 PM
All right, I was hoping to avoid this question, lol! I got some cash from the bank just a bit ago and am waiting on him to get home from work. I'm going to wait to tell the price in case I don't get it, but I think it'll be gloat-worthy if I manage to get it. I'll be sure to post some pics when I get it home! And price.

jerry cousins
06-19-2010, 5:25 PM
i have hte same machine but a direct drive - it is WONDERFUL. The Northfield factory are great deal with - if you give them the serial number they can tell you it's history - parts are available as well as any technical assistance. Enjoy.
jerry

Casey Carr
06-19-2010, 8:51 PM
Okay, the beast found it's way home to my garage. Here she is. In the close-up picture you can see where they did some welding on it, but it's not on the table, it's on the little bolt on side table or whatever it is. And you can see the damage to the switch. I think I may end up having to get a new motor anyways, unless I can rewire 480 to 220??? I work with an electrician, so I'll have him come take a look at it.

I really wish it was a 20" planer, anyone want to buy a 12" jointer???? Ha!

Casey Carr
06-19-2010, 8:52 PM
Wow, is there a better way of posting pictures? Those things are tiny...

Neil Brooks
06-19-2010, 9:05 PM
The pics are clickable, and -- even for MY crummy eyes -- plenty big.

What a beautiful score. A bit of woodworking history, and one of the icons of American-made woodworking steel.

Congratulations !! Let us know your thoughts, once you start using it, huh ?

Bruce Page
06-19-2010, 9:23 PM
I'll be sure to post some pics when I get it home! And price.

Strumming fingers....

And here's the official:

YOU SUCK! :D

Van Huskey
06-20-2010, 2:31 AM
I really wish it was a 20" planer, anyone want to buy a 12" jointer???? Ha!

Yeah that things garbage, BTW where do you live.... :D

YOU SUCK, will be bigger when we here what you paid I'm guessing...

Rick Lizek
06-20-2010, 6:41 AM
Is the motor labeled 240/480? If so it can be rewired. If it's labeled 480 then a motor shop can split the windings to make it 240 volts. If it's only 480 labeled and the machine is belted you would probably better off getting a new motor. My Oliver 166D was direct drive so it was better to split the windings. Couple hundred dollars but better and far cheaper than trying to modify the motor head configuration.

The Surty guard is far superior to the average pork chop guard. For facing boards you go under the guard so if the board is kicked back the hands are blocked from going into the cutter.

Notrthfield jointers are nice but I think the Crescent Jointers are one of the better jointers made in the US. Simple and easy to work on, especially to adjust the tables. That would be my Gold standard for jointers. A Tersa or insert head on a crescent would make it the Platinum standard. I've tuned and rebuilt quite a few jointers over the years and the Crescent is the simplest I've ever worked on.

Ross Canant
06-20-2010, 12:45 PM
"Each machine is furnished complete with one set of high-speed steel knives, cutting depth gauge, necessary wrenches, 6" dust chute, maintenance and parts manual, hand brake, 110 volt at push button. 208, 230/460, 575 volt, 3 phase 60 cycle motors are standard. "
Looks like that motor will run on 230 3 phase. The original guard is available from Northfield, as is the rabbetting table that was welded. I love my 1940's era 16" HD.

Casey Carr
06-20-2010, 3:31 PM
Okay, okay, $400 bucks. I didn't want to say anything in case somebody jumped out there and offered me $3000, it'd just make them feel bad! I was going to see if I couldn't talk him down to $300-350 since we couldn't turn it on, but I just didn't have the heart to do that, since I'm not really sure he knew what he had. He just knew it was too big for him and wanted to get rid of it.

He didn't have 3 phase at his place either and no incentive to get it going since it was much more machine than he was interested in. He got it as payment for doing some work for a guy in Texas. He sent him this jointer in compensation. He's happy with his little 4" jointer as that's about as big as he needs apparently.

I just figure if nothing else, I can sell it and turn a buck if I ever wanted to. Not sure I do as I live in a fairly remote area out in the Mojave desert, probably not going to see another one of these locally. I would be surprised if I wasn't the owner of the biggest jointer in this town of 30,000 people.

You know, after one of these purchases of mine, my wife's going to actually expect some work out of me, lol!

Casey Carr
06-20-2010, 3:41 PM
Updated my profile, so you can look up where I live. I grew up in Eastern AZ right off I-10 and have family there and in the Phoenix area, along with a brother in Idaho. So I get around the western US, where are you at?

Gary Herrmann
06-20-2010, 4:46 PM
A Northfield 12" jointer for $400.

You definitely suck.