PDA

View Full Version : Modified Cartridge Pen Kit - Subed Real Cartridge

James Combs
06-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Here is the cartridge pen that I posted the question about finishing Brass.

I uses a commercial cartridge pen kit with the modification of using a real 30-06 casing for the "cartridge end.

The wood is black walnut. The finish for all parts is CA shined with acrylic polish.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Tom Henry
06-18-2010, 11:49 PM
I hope you are part of the pen exchange this year....:D

David E Keller
06-19-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm generally not a fan of cartridge pens, but this one looks nice. The walnut is a good choice.

John Hart
06-19-2010, 6:47 AM
I like the cartridge pens....but not a big fan of the gun clip. Dunno...just think it's a distraction. But that's just me. Other than that...The pen is beautiful. :)

Thom Sturgill
06-19-2010, 6:59 AM
I made a pair last year for my Brothers-in-law who are both big hunters. Just straight kit parts though. Since , if I recall correctly, the recipient provided the brass, I expect he will get just as big a kick out of the pen, if not more. And he will show it to everyone.

While I'm not fond of the clip either, my BILs love it because that's what people see first when its in their pocket. They see the clip and ask about the pen, then flip out when they see the bullet.

Good job!

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 7:47 AM
Looks like you got the right answers on the brass finishing!! Nice work, JD!

James Combs
06-19-2010, 3:38 PM
I hope you are part of the pen exchange this year....:D

Yeap count me in, excluding you I was number two to sign up.

I like the cartridge pens....but not a big fan of the gun clip. Dunno...just think it's a distraction. But that's just me. Other than that...The pen is beautiful. :)

I don't care for them either but I will use them for the same reason Thom Sturgill mentions above. Basically positive customer reaction when they first see it. However, I'll bet that once they try to use the clip a few times they may change their mind.;)

Looks like you got the right answers on the brass finishing!! Nice work, JD!

Hope the CA last for more then a year. I warranty all my pens for a year,:eek: may be a mistake but what the heck it's just a hobby anyway.:rolleyes:

Matt Ranum
06-19-2010, 4:42 PM
Looks nice and the Walnut, to me just seems like the correct material to use on these.

Bryan Morgan
06-20-2010, 1:30 AM
Nice! Probably worth a small fortune too, what with the cost of decent reloadable brass these days! :)

Donny Lawson
06-20-2010, 8:52 AM
I really like the bullet pen but haven't tried one yet.I guess I have everything but a soldering gun for the tube so this makes me wanna go and pick one up.I think they would sell good.Especially around hunting season.Nice work and they are right the Walnut adds to the pen.
Donny

Bernie Weishapl
06-20-2010, 9:06 AM
That is a nice looking pen James.

Karl Card
06-20-2010, 2:01 PM
James,

I to made a bullet pen out of the real cartridge and when I took it to the craft show people had a fit over it... just loved it.

I have some mini bullet kits also and plan to make one today and ill post some pics of it... it basically looks like a mini torpedo... neat however.

Billy Tallant
06-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Great looking pen. That wood provides a very pleasing contrast.

Paul Douglass
06-24-2010, 10:48 AM
I really like the bullet pen but haven't tried one yet.I guess I have everything but a soldering gun for the tube so this makes me wanna go and pick one up.I think they would sell good.Especially around hunting season.Nice work and they are right the Walnut adds to the pen.
Donny

I use a little butane torch for the soldering.

That is a very nice pen.

James Combs
06-24-2010, 10:51 PM
I use a little butane torch for the soldering.

That is a very nice pen.

Donny

I know a lot of pen makers use solder on their bullet pens but I did not use it on this one.:o Everything was a nice tight fit so I just used CA and pressed it together.:D Sure hope that wasn't wrong:eek: