PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a loud, 2-line ringer?

Matt Meiser
06-18-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm going to be running wire to my shop for phone and plan to extend both my work and home lines out there so that we can call between them as an intercom since the current cordless system doesn't work all that great.

2 line phones are pretty easy to find and not terribly expensive. But I won't be able to hear the internal ringer over a router, DC and hearing protection.

I've got a somewhat loud external ringer but have only found single-line models. Anyone know of a 2-line model? If not, I guess I'll have to buy 2.

Thomas Hotchkin
06-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Can't help with 2 line ringer, but I did pickup from Radio Shack a controller that plugs into your phone line and switches on a 110 volt outlet that I have a light plugged into. Works great, I do not miss as many calls in the shop now. Tom

Randal Stevenson
06-19-2010, 12:51 AM
At one time, I wondered about a doorbell, since several of them can be made to ring from a front or back door. But they do have doorbell/telephone ringers/flashers, for the deaf, or high noise environments, I just can't find any info on them working with two lines. (seems one will have to call on a specific model)

Jerome Stanek
06-19-2010, 6:47 AM
you will have to have 2 lines coming in so put a ringer on each one.

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 7:56 AM
Matt, can you wire in a flashing light?? In a business we previously had, one of our employees had diminished hearing, and when he was back in the office he could not hear the entry tone for the front door. We installed a little red light that was wired into the alarm system so when a customer came in, the light would flash.

Matt Meiser
06-19-2010, 8:13 AM
The light flasher thing would work too, but still it would be nice to get a 2-line one rather than 2 devices, 2 lights.

keith denbesten
06-19-2010, 10:54 AM
How about call forwarding one of the phones to the other while you're in the shop. Then only one will ring.

Josh Bowman
06-19-2010, 11:25 AM
When I built my shop a few years ago, I have noted 2 mistakes. I put in a phone and intercom:D.
But if you must, I googled this circuit that you could build. http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/pflash.asp

I certain it could be adapted to 2 phone lines or better yet, just build 2 and use different sounder/lights, that way you know which phone NOT to answer. Another thing you might want to look for is a caller ID that's big enough to see across you're shop.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100650325&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100650325&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D27X-_-100650325&locStoreNum=770&marketID=27

Joe Wiliams
06-19-2010, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't want a loud ringer in a shop... tend to get startled at sudden noises:o.
Not a good thing with rapidly moving sharp things around.

Alan Schaffter
06-20-2010, 12:01 PM
You will need to check if they make two line units, but I would go with a phone strobe- one with a true xenon strobe whose bright light reflects off other surfaces so you can see it which ever way you are looking. Some of the cheap units are little more than bright incandescent lights so are not really bright enough. I also use a wireless doorbell with a strobe for shop entry- to prevent being surprised by people sneaking up on me! I got the doorbell flasher at Lowes and the the phone strobe on Ebay.

Wireless doorbell w/strobe and phone strobe:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P1010172.JPG

Wireless doorbell button on shop door:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P1010174.JPG

Matt Meiser
06-20-2010, 8:32 PM
I completely forgot that in my previous shop I had a phone line and bought a loud ringer, so I already have one. Might as well use 2 since I don't have to buy 2 and if I find a 2-line one it will probably cost more anyway.

My work line has caller ID so I'll be able to make decisions on answering that one as-needed. There's not a great scenario for forwarding since LOML/LOMLjr would need to go to my office to call the home line to reach me out there. Not too bad right now but someday we'd like to move my office to a finished basement. We don't have forwarding on the home line but if we added it and I forwarded that to the office line, any home calls would ring there.

I still want a 2-line phone, but those are much easier to find.

Luther Oswalt
06-21-2010, 7:39 AM
Matt - Where did you obtain the loud ringer? I have not found one yet. That would be better for me than a flashing light since I am outside the shop often working in an adjoining shed.
Leo

Matt Meiser
06-21-2010, 8:10 AM
The one I have already is from Radio Shack and I bought it close to 10 years ago. The current similar one gets poor reviews. But I happened to find these which are cheap enough that they are worth the risk of trying. Both the ringer and strobe which will be nice because I can tell which line is ringing.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=159-015

Jerome Stanek
06-21-2010, 9:52 AM
I buy from yhat company and they are good. I had quick shipping with them

Matt Meiser
06-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Same here, there just isn't much information on these, like a dB rating.

Steve Friedman
06-21-2010, 6:07 PM
Google "products for the hearing impaired" - and you should find dozens of products that will solve your problem. It's like finding good magnifying products - the best seem to be those that are marketed to the vision impaired.

Steve