PDA

View Full Version : Corel and complex contour

James Terry
06-18-2010, 11:13 PM
I have a skull shape which has a very complex contour around it for cutting. The laser seems to skip around selecting bits and pieces of the contour instead of just cutting each curve in order for a simple track around. Obviously in this example there is an order being chosen somehow.

What is the correct trick to make the contour a single object or line or whatever the case may be so that it will follow it all the way around only once.

Rodne Gold
06-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Use the smartfill tool on it , delete original contour and use the results fom smartfillings outline

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
06-19-2010, 1:24 AM
Thanks sir,

Even after working for 5 yrs , now we came to know

Regards,
Saravanakumar

Scott Shepherd
06-19-2010, 8:49 AM
Or select the outlines all as one and use the "Combine" feature.

Richard Rumancik
06-19-2010, 10:12 AM
The Smartfill method is for when the shape is closed; the "Combine" command Scott mentions will work to join segments together whether it is a closed shape or not. (Older versions of CorelDraw do not have SmartFill).

Sometimes you may have a shape that looks closed but isn't. In that case, you can tell it to close the path (Arrange ->close path -> Closest nodes with xxxx lines). If you cannot see the gaps with your eye it does not matter if you pick "straight lines" or "curved".

If the gap is larger then you can edit it's curvature as needed to blend.

You can combine inside features together as an entity (e.g. eye openings in the skull shape might be turned into one path). So if you have interior openings then they would plot in a contiguous fashion as well.

Mark Winlund
06-19-2010, 7:33 PM
QUOTE=Richard Rumancik; The Smartfill method is for when the shape is closed; the "Combine" command Scott mentions will work to join segments together whether it is a closed shape or not. (Older versions of CorelDraw do not have SmartFill).

The "combine" command does not join nodes, it only makes multiple line segments into one object.

Sometimes you may have a shape that looks closed but isn't. In that case, you can tell it to close the path (Arrange ->close path -> Closest nodes with xxxx lines). If you cannot see the gaps with your eye it does not matter if you pick "straight lines" or "curved".

This method works, but adds extra line segments at each junction, complicating an already difficult problem. Other programs (notably flexisign pro) have a function that moves the nodes themselves and then joins them. I suppose the programmerss at Corel did not wish the nodes to be moved in an unpredictable way, so added segments instead. In most situations, this does not matter. BTW, the "connect with curvy lines" is really unpredictable. It usually creates a huge mess.

If the gap is larger then you can edit it's curvature as needed to blend.

You can combine inside features together as an entity (e.g. eye openings in the skull shape might be turned into one path). So if you have interior openings then they would plot in a contiguous fashion as well.

Mark

Richard Rumancik
06-19-2010, 11:11 PM
The "combine" command does not join nodes, it only makes multiple line segments into one object.
I won't disagree, Mark, but with my driver, by combining it often will cut as a contiguous entity. I don't have my laser here to test anything. Yes, sometimes I might edit the overlapping nodes to "Join two nodes" but I don't think this is actually mandatory if the separate lines are strung out head-to-tail and head-to-tail. But I probably use the combine command on closed shapes more than curves/lines.

RR: Sometimes you may have a shape that looks closed but isn't. In that case, you can tell it to close the path (Arrange ->close path -> Closest nodes with xxxx lines). If you cannot see the gaps with your eye it does not matter if you pick "straight lines" or "curved".

Mark: This method works, but adds extra line segments at each junction, complicating an already difficult problem. Other programs (notably flexisign pro) have a function that moves the nodes themselves and then joins them. I suppose the programmerss at Corel did not wish the nodes to be moved in an unpredictable way, so added segments instead. In most situations, this does not matter. BTW, the "connect with curvy lines" is really unpredictable. It usually creates a huge mess.

Mark, I have not had a problem using the "close path" option. I don't know what you mean when you say it adds line segments at each junction. It will add a segment at each break in the curve, if that is what you mean. I was suggesting that the command be used when a shape "looks" like it should be closed but won't fill. That can happen due to slight errors in the drawing or perhaps math roundoff errors. In those cases, whether it adds a straight or curvy line, the line it is usually so short I can't always tell WHERE it added it. All I know is that after the operation it will then fill. Finding it manually can be time consuming. If you try to use the command on a bunch of lines that are spaced far apart, then I agree that it will be unpredictable. Anyhow, it works for me . . .

James Stokes
06-20-2010, 12:33 PM
They have changed the connect lines in X5. I have not played with it yet but looks like it will be much better.

Mark Winlund
06-20-2010, 12:58 PM
I won't disagree, Mark, but with my driver, by combining it often will cut as a contiguous entity. I don't have my laser here to test anything. Yes, sometimes I might edit the overlapping nodes to "Join two nodes" but I don't think this is actually mandatory if the separate lines are strung out head-to-tail and head-to-tail. But I probably use the combine command on closed shapes more than curves/lines.

Mark, I have not had a problem using the "close path" option. I don't know what you mean when you say it adds line segments at each junction. It will add a segment at each break in the curve, if that is what you mean. I was suggesting that the command be used when a shape "looks" like it should be closed but won't fill. That can happen due to slight errors in the drawing or perhaps math roundoff errors. In those cases, whether it adds a straight or curvy line, the line it is usually so short I can't always tell WHERE it added it. All I know is that after the operation it will then fill. Finding it manually can be time consuming. If you try to use the command on a bunch of lines that are spaced far apart, then I agree that it will be unpredictable. Anyhow, it works for me . . .

I agree for the most part. Having a few extra segments that are nearly invisible usually is not a problem, and it does allow you to "fill" quickly. Much of the problem occurs with complex scanned objects that you wish to make a "master logo" from. In this case, you may be using the file with a lot of different output devices... which don't always respond well to overly complex drawings.

My point is that other programs have resolved many of these issues long ago, and Corel is rather un-sophisticated when it comes to node editing. If you can get your hands on an old copy of Cas-mate or Flexisign, you will quickly realize how backwards Corel is in this respect. Obviously, I use Corel as my main graphics engine (I have been a Corel customer since the "Corel Headline" days (The precursor to "Draw" version 1). It's just that for node editing, there are much better tools out there. I have complained a number of times to Mike Mackenzie but to no avail!

Mark

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
06-21-2010, 1:31 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Winlund;1450256
My point is that other programs have resolved many of these issues long ago, and Corel is rather un-sophisticated when it comes to node editing.

Mark[/QUOTE]

FWIW, in X5 there is a new feature called Arrange> Join Curves, which would help in this scenario. This will allow you take a complex path and join all the loose ends together, making it one continuous path. Join curves gives some options on how they will join as well:
Extend: each line segment will extend until the intersect and then join
Radius: extends the line segments so a curve of a specific radius can be used to join them
Bezier: Does not extend the curves but use a "best fit" approach

HTH,
T.

Mark Winlund
06-21-2010, 2:02 PM
FWIW, in X5 there is a new feature called Arrange> Join Curves, which would help in this scenario. This will allow you take a complex path and join all the loose ends together, making it one continuous path. Join curves gives some options on how they will join as well:
Extend: each line segment will extend until the intersect and then join
Radius: extends the line segments so a curve of a specific radius can be used to join them
Bezier: Does not extend the curves but use a "best fit" approach

HTH,
T.

Hey! Congrats! I guess it's time to upgrade from 13. Thanks for listening.

Mark

Mike Null
06-21-2010, 2:57 PM
Thanks, Tony.

Now I'll have to seriously consider X5. Actually, I had made up my mind to buy but usually wait until the first service pack hits.

Interestingly, I haven't seen much tooth gnashing over X5 on this forum or the others that I frequent.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
06-22-2010, 2:36 PM
There are two things I've seen that could impact laser engravers using X5.

1. Look up my previous post on color management settings, I made some recommendations in there on how to get it hooked up for a laser.

2. If the Fillet/Chamfer/Scallop docker is left open while working on graphics it will give CorelDRAW a hard time and sometimes result in a crash. If you use that docker, close it after you're done using it.

Overall, things seem to be going well with X5.

HTH,
T.