PDA

View Full Version : My first turning of any kind since...............

Bobby Buff Jr
06-18-2010, 10:22 PM
..........I was in 7th grade wood shop. And I will be 54 in October, so don't laugh too hard.

A while back my son and I went into the Woodcraft store in San Antonio and there was a Jet mini lathe that had been used for classes sitting in the showroom. The price was right and Zachary had been wanting one to try his hand at making duck calls , so we agreed to split the cost.

Zach has been fooling around getting the hang of using the tools and turning " solid " duck calls.

I came home with some black walnut from my Dad's yesterday and I was cutting blocks and pen blanks for a buddy and I decided to try my hand at a little bowl.

Here it is. 4" W x 2 3/4" H x 2 1/4 D. The side is about 3/8"

There are a few tool marks inside, and the shape just kind of came along on it's own, but I always enjoyed the lathe way back in 7th grade and it was just as enjoyable today.

David E Keller
06-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Beautiful wood... Welcome back to the turning vortex! Looks better than my first attempt to be sure.

James Combs
06-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Ditto on the "Beautiful" wood. I love walnut. I do a lot of my pens in walnut.

Bobby Buff Jr
06-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Ditto on the "Beautiful" wood. I love walnut. I do a lot of my pens in walnut.

Quick story on the wood.

It came from the ranch that my Grandfather started managed when he was in his late 20's, then my Dad grew up on it and I did as well. Only problem was it was owned by absentee land owners and it was eventually sold. Dad had cut a walnut tree and took it to a near by sawmill. He gave some away and has the rest in his shed. It has been there for I am guessing close to 20 plus years.

He gave me a small slab board yesterday I was able to get 4 blocks 7" x 7" x 3" out of it was well as the block I used today. The rest is in pen blanks, and some more sized for Zach to use in duck calls .

I am set up at this time for pen turning, but I have and close buddy that is. I am going to his place tomorrow and taking him a bunch of this wood as well. He is going to make Dad a pen and pencil set, a pen for me and he mentioned something about a bottle stopper as well.

He spent a lot of time growing up prowling that ranch with me so the wood is special to him as well.

Jeff Luedloff
06-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Very nice bowl, keep up the good work and hope to see more of your turnings. Thanks for sharing.

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 7:10 AM
Bobby, I predict this won't be the last turning we see from you either! Very nice job - particularly after having been away from it that long.

And, what happened to the days when we had "7th grade shop?":(

Steve Mawson
06-19-2010, 7:22 AM
Great story Bobby and nice bowl to. Walnut is just good for anything. I can see this as your starting point on a great turning experience. It really does kind of GROW on you. Lots of folks here started or restarted just like you.