PDA

View Full Version : Font Help

Michael Oswald
06-18-2010, 9:46 PM
I hate asking for font help but I am at a dead end here.

I have a local racer that I need to make a small engraving for. Problem is they want the "exact" #31 on the bike, but can not provide what font it is. Any ideas? I have looked for over an hour now and can get close, but not the exact font.
Thanks creekers!

Mike Christen
06-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi Michael

Have u tried what the font, I was going to but the pic attached has to low resolution.

Mike Null
06-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Try Clarendon BT. Bold it or outline it if necessary.

Michael Oswald
06-18-2010, 11:04 PM
No luck with whatthefont on the picture.

Clarendon BT is close, and News 701 BT is close also. I think the customer is just going to have to settle for "good enough" on this project.

Mike Null
06-19-2010, 6:02 AM
If you have a good bitmap of the font take Clarendon and convert it to curves then shape it to match. Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

If you don't know how to do it send the bitmap to me or post it here and somebody will help you.

Marianne Oteiza
06-19-2010, 7:31 AM
CLEVELAND font appears to be a good match.

Albert Nix
06-19-2010, 8:17 AM
I agree with Mike. If you are only dealing with a few characters take a good straight on photo, down load to puter. Grab a font close to it convert to curves and rearange it a bit and you have a match.

Mike Null
06-19-2010, 9:53 AM
Marianne

Welcome to Sawmill Creek. We'll look forward to your input.

Michael Oswald
06-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the help everyone, just another reason why this is the best place on the web!

John Barton
06-19-2010, 11:08 AM
I have had little luck with the font finder websites. I have had some luck with www.dafont.com at finding fonts that are close enough to what the customer has sent in.

I agree with the other posters in that if it's just a few letters then finding the closest match and converting to curves and reshaping is the best way to go.

A tip: I do them one character at a time. It's easier and faster.

Also something that makes your customers happy is if you give them the vector file. I find that a lot of my customers are very happy when I give them the vector and explain to them that it makes the graphic people VERY happy to get files in this format rather than pictures. I find that a lot of my clients had work done but they never got the files so that's why they have no idea what fonts were used. Of course it's up to you if you want to give them your work - I do it as a way to sort of pay-it-forward for the next person down the line and gain a little more goodwill from my customers.

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-19-2010, 4:29 PM
Start with Clarendon and then Skew it horizontal -15 degrees give or take. You can then convert that to curves and tweak it to match the letters in a photo.