PDA

View Full Version : shop fox 1812 reviews? comparisons?

Ron Bontz
06-18-2010, 6:47 PM
Just a quick question. Has anyone had an opportunity to "hands on" compare the newer shop fox planer molder with the previous vs version? Thanks

eugene thomas
06-18-2010, 7:28 PM
I bought the older model for $750 with the variable speed so was happy but i like the look of the new one every time see it in show rooms.. Just not think would like it enough more to shell out the extra $500.

Ron Bontz
06-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have been going back and forth on that very question.:)

Steve Rowe
06-20-2010, 11:47 PM
I have had the 1812 for about a year and have used it to make crown molding. I really can't do a direct comparison since it is the only one I have ever used. Overall, I am very happy with this machine.

I did have some shipping damage that the dealer and Shopfox handled quickly and professionally. There was no evidence of external damage to the box however, when I removed the base unit, I found the hinge had tack welds torn and broken away with the motor hanging in a most precarious position (with the shipping bracket still attached and bent). I hope this is just a case of rough handling and not a design flaw that will repeat itself. Shopfox did ship me a new base and motor as well as issued a call tag on the defective base.

My observations on the machine are:

Fit and finish was excellent and all the bolt holes actually lined up. I was a bit leary about this when I ordered the machine but my concerns were unfounded.
The controls are in a much better position than the older model.
The head has a ledge to fix the height of the knives similar to the W&H model. I am not sure whether this is the same as the older Shopfox model.
Occassionally, expect about 3 inches of snipe at the leading and trailing ends.
The roller adjustment is a real pain and access ports/setscrew location isn't very well thought out. Fortunately, I expect this to be a one time initial adjustment.
The long table is a big plus and provides superior stock support.