PDA

View Full Version : decorated platter

Michelle Rich
06-18-2010, 6:35 PM
This is the only decorated piece I have ever turned/ "carved"..I am a great fan of simplicity and usually do not like geegaws & doodads. But I saw a platter like this somewhere & wished to reproduce (heck, abscond ) it. I have never carved, and I did not have "proper tools" . I made this with chainsaw files and a hand operated drill (eggbeater) I think it came out well despite never carving. How do ya'll think I did? Curly walnut, with shellac & wax. thanks for looking

David E Keller
06-18-2010, 6:41 PM
That's beautiful. I like that the design only goes part of the way around the edge... It made me continue to study the whole piece which is great.

Your process for carving sounds like an awful experience, but the results are amazing.

Cathy Schaewe
06-18-2010, 6:41 PM
Darn right, you did well. I think it's beautiful! I think I saw the one you modeled it after somewhere too. I'm impressed that you did that without specialized tools. It's a neat piece of wood, too!

Roland Martin
06-18-2010, 6:54 PM
That is a fine looking platter from a great piece of wood!! The repetitions of the carvings appear to be very accurate, especially given the way you got them done. Very nice work Michelle:)

Dennis Ford
06-18-2010, 7:17 PM
I think that you did a great job. (nice wood too)

Frank Van Atta
06-18-2010, 7:21 PM
Methinks it came out great - even though it does have "doodads" all around the rim . . . :D

charlie knighton
06-18-2010, 9:59 PM
very nice....

Donny Lawson
06-18-2010, 10:13 PM
I think your extra "DOODADS" adds a very nice touch to the piece.I wouldn't change a thing.
Donny

Allen Neighbors
06-18-2010, 10:14 PM
I think you did a bang-up job on it, Michelle!! Now go out and buy you a little electric chisel... You'll put it to good use.... :D

Michael James
06-19-2010, 1:22 AM
Im a sucker for walnut, but never have seen this variety..... WOW!
Very creative use of embellishment. It seems that carving is a logical extension of lathe work, as is segmented work. Personally, I would have used a little dremel or clone with a jig. Im just lazy.... I dont think the effect would have been any nicer.

John Hart
06-19-2010, 6:23 AM
Interesting that you can do such a nice job while doing something that you don't really care for. With me....I would do it poorly.

Very nice. :)

Michelle Rich
06-19-2010, 7:07 AM
Thanks ladies and gents for the feedback. appreciate it. Branching out into a new uncomfortable zone is a bit dicey, so your comments were very helpful.

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 7:41 AM
Michelle, I think you have a winner here! Lovely wood, and when I first saw the platter, I thought it was stitched around the rim. Made me wonder what one would look like with the holes completely through, and flat leather lacing???

Curt Fuller
06-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Like you, I'm not a big fan of doodads but I do like an occasional geegaw. Your combination of the two is excellent though. I agree with David on how it really worked well to leave out a section to let the wood show off.

Michelle Rich
06-20-2010, 6:06 AM
The holes are thru and the angled "carvings go over the edge and leave a scalloped effect..but I cannot get a picture to show the detail that well..I only have a pocket digital and dark wood either flashes back or becomes a black hole...

Bernie Weishapl
06-20-2010, 9:18 AM
Michelle that is a beautiful piece. If that is what they call geegaw's and doodads I like it.

Steve Kubien
06-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I really like it. It is less refined and complicated than a lot of carvings and I think THAT is a good thing. I like simple and while the process you used was not, the result is. Very well done.

Harvey Ghesser
06-20-2010, 8:00 PM
Nice work, Michelle!

Jim Kountz
06-20-2010, 9:06 PM
I think this is one of the more interesting turnings I have seen in a while!! I love the stitched look the carving gave to the rim. Dont know is that was your intention or not but it sure came out looking really cool!! Wonderful piece of wood too!!

Baxter Smith
06-20-2010, 9:22 PM
Very pretty piece!