PDA

View Full Version : Small spalted maple bowl

Ted Evans
06-18-2010, 6:25 PM
I have 15 pickup loads of this stuff and I am saving the nicer wood until I get more experience. It is a little peppy in places but is not too difficult to turn, when I keep my tools sharp. BTW, thanks to all for the suggestions a while back on hones, what a difference!:D The bowl is 7 w x 2.5 h and is about .350 thick.

I wish that I had made the transition to the band more distinct, it looks mushy to me. Again, thanks to all for any suggestions.

David E Keller
06-18-2010, 6:28 PM
Another nice looking piece of maple... Hmmmm, where did you say you store all of that stuff?:rolleyes:

Spalted stuff can be a little punky... Sometimes putting on a couple of coats of thin shellac will help stiffen the fibers for a final cut.

Ted Evans
06-18-2010, 6:35 PM
Hello David, I have a daughter that lives in Bartelsville. Do not know if they will be coming this way this year but if they do, I will send you some. Or, if you come this way, stop and load up.

I use a 50-50 mix of sanding sealer and thinner, it does help but it certainly is not like turning a nice green piece of walnut.

Michelle Rich
06-18-2010, 6:38 PM
real nice open shape...pretty wood..if that's the "bad" stuff I'd sure like to turn your good stuff!

Donny Lawson
06-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Ted,
That is a nice looking bowl.You cannot beat the spalted maple look.I'm looking foward to seeing more of your spalted bowls.
Donny

Cathy Schaewe
06-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Really pretty - I agree, if that's the bad stuff, I can't wait to see the good stuff! Nice piece -

David E Keller
06-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Hey Ted,

My sister lives in Nashville, so I may give you a shout if we head out that way at some point... Looks like it's about 100 miles from you, but I'd drive further for nice wood.

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 6:56 AM
Ted, very nice work on the bowl, and as commented by others, really nice maple!!

I do agree the transition area for the rim could be sharper, and I probably would not do the "band" and the bead - just one or the other. But, that is just my thought. It is your work, and did a great job executing it.

Thom Sturgill
06-19-2010, 7:05 AM
Very nice work and beautiful wood. I also agree the band should be better defined on the bottom. Unlike John I like the bead, but would have made it flush on the inside.