PDA

View Full Version : Another practice piece

Ted Evans
06-18-2010, 6:02 PM
Spalted maple 7.5 w x 2.5 h, sprayed with pre-cat lacquer, walls approximately .125 which was not how I intended it. Weighs 3.3 ounces. I think the transition on the side should have been up higher. Should it also have been softened some?

My wife said that she thought it would look better with a lid and finial, your thoughts?

Thanks for your suggestions, I do not know why I cannot see all the problems until it is finished and photographed rather than when I am still turning.:mad:

David E Keller
06-18-2010, 6:13 PM
That's a great looking chunk of wood... It's much nicer than my practice wood.

I agree with your self-critique about raising the transition point and maybe softening it, but it's a matter of taste. There are no rights or wrongs, and everyone has different likes and dislikes. If you like it, it's perfect. If you don't, try something different next time. You may already do this, but I often take a piece off the lathe(still in the chuck) and stand it upright. Then, I sit/stand/squat and look at it from different angles until I figure out what I want to change.... Back on the lathe and repeat until finished.

ALWAYS listen to your wife:D... You can always take the lid off when she's not around.:eek::D

Barry Elder
06-18-2010, 6:13 PM
Many of the "pro" turners will make a drawing of the visualized piece and then try to turn the wood to match. It does work!

Thom Sturgill
06-18-2010, 6:22 PM
I think I agree with your wife. A top of the right proportions would effectively lower the wide point off of the mid-line down to about the 1/3 level. When roughing try taking a picture and looking at it upright. That can drastically change the appearance.

Michelle Rich
06-18-2010, 6:27 PM
I think you are both right..your wife's idea is good & the right lid would make it a nice closed form or a great box for a treasure on a dresser. ..yet it looks a-ok as it is too...

Dennis Ford
06-18-2010, 7:28 PM
It looks like your tool control does not need much practice. I agree with your wife about the lid and finial. Wood and finish looks good.

Andrew Kertesz
06-18-2010, 8:44 PM
To my eye the only shape top that would fit the piece would be to continue the sidewalls up to make it look like a domed piece, similar to the shape of the bottom. I can't picture a finial on it....

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2010, 8:56 PM
I agree both are right. Looks pretty good.

Karl Card
06-18-2010, 9:28 PM
I like that lacquer.

well i like the piece too and I dont think you can ever go wrong with maple.

a friend of mine gave me some pre cat lacq to get started with and I cant wait to try it.

Allen Neighbors
06-18-2010, 9:38 PM
I think you did a good job on it, and I like it like it is... :)
BUT: Re-read: the last line on David Keller's post, and Michelle's post.
I always try to listen to Her Majesty... keeps things on the up and up around here. :D

Donny Lawson
06-18-2010, 9:55 PM
I think the spalted maple looks fantastic.I would probally add a top on it though.
Donny

Mark Burge
06-18-2010, 11:02 PM
I agree with everyone else that you don't seem to need any practice with your tools, so you can send me the rest of that practice wood. :) Personally, I like it without a lid, but I would try to get the upper curve and lower curve to match a little closer. That would involve lowering the rim a bit. Otherwise, I think the details and the wood are perfect. Nice work.

Bobby Buff Jr
06-18-2010, 11:06 PM
I like it.

Michael James
06-18-2010, 11:57 PM
The lathe is new to me, but symmetry is not. Part of the appeal of the lathe and yrs of mediocre grades in art classes as a kid is because of my attraction to symmetry. I like your bowl; it looks symmetrical, but the rings do disract the focus from that. In my limited experience turning, and watching and reading... the wood tends to demand deviations from my original mind's eye conception. And Im ok with that, it is what it is.
My reaction to whatever I end up with is, "hmmm now I know how to do "that". I guess thats just how I learn.
But I gotta say, Im practicing on construction grade pine 2x4's, so I am so freaking envious of that wood. I play guitar and have been looking at a fender telecaster with a spalted maple face for about 5yrs. Funny, the price keeps going up every yr:eek:

John Hart
06-19-2010, 6:43 AM
Sorry Ted...These are not "practice" pieces you're doing. These are nice stuff.

The lid idea would be cool. I don't know whether it would be "better" or not...but it would be cool. :)

I like the form. :)

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 7:29 AM
Ted, you are doing some very nice tool work. And, the wood and finish are superb.

I agree with you and the others on the placement of the shoulder, and I think part of the "visual" with this piece is the contrast between the rolling beads and the sharp shoulder.

I do agree with Andrew that any lid would need to overlap to the outside of the rim and pick up the curvature of the side wall - and, that would give you another design opportunity to play with what you have already done!

At 7", it is small enough that a finial may work, but a lot of that will depend on what you do with the lid.