PDA

View Full Version : Recent turnings

Thom Sturgill
06-18-2010, 5:48 PM
As you may know, I got a new lathe awhile back but its been awhile since I posted any pics before today. Since I got the camera out for the challenge, I thought I'd take a few more pics too. Here's some pens - the green is stabilized burl, the others are cherry and blood wood. The green was a special request from a young girl for her birthday.

The 'box' was turned strickly as skew practice. Some more of that scrounged mahogany.

A few weeks ago we had some discussion of pendants and offset chucks. Here's mt take. I made the key flat on the side where the screw is and dovetailed the other side. The sacrificial piece on top is fastened with a screw also. There are brass inserts for both screws. The pendant 'feathers' were cut by turning the sacrificial piece between cuts and is inlayed with malachite in epoxy. The findings are some I had on hand. Its Florida mahogany with a light oil finish.

David E Keller
06-18-2010, 6:05 PM
Nicely done all around. The turning are great, but I think I'm most impressed with the offset chuck. Thanks for posting.

Michelle Rich
06-18-2010, 6:24 PM
I like the color of the green pen..and I like the necklace...the offset chuck is clever

John Keeton
06-19-2010, 6:47 AM
Thom, the pens are neat, and great work on the offset chuck and pendant. But, I am REALLY impressed by the box! Just very nice work - good style and excellent technique. You have made good use of that mahogany.