PDA

View Full Version : 2 pens

Karl Card
06-18-2010, 4:41 PM
The pen on the left is curly maple on the bottom with about 7 different types of wood on the top.

The pen on the right is hawaiian koa with cigar type pen kit. I really thougth this piece of koa was going to turn out better but evidently it is not one of my better pieces.

On the cigar pen I took and put a couple layers of blo on it, let it dry for about 1 hour then proceded to put about 3 layes of ca on it.

John Keeton
06-18-2010, 5:20 PM
Karl, actually I think the Koa turned out very well. I don't do pens, and I don't always look at threads on them because of that. Some of them are neat, and others seem....well, like a pen. But, I think the style has as much to do with it as the wood sometimes.

The cigar style seems to showcase the wood more - more of it! And, in this one, it works very well. I would think the BLO made the Koa show a little better - though I have never worked with it, or even seen any for that matter.

On the curly maple, I am probably not a fan of the multiple woods. That said, you certainly did a nice job on it.

David E Keller
06-18-2010, 6:19 PM
Nice work on the pens. I like the multicolored pen, and it's a great way to use up the little scraps that are leftover(My wife says I'm cheap... I prefer the term frugal).

Koa is a favorite of mine. It has such a rich color and the curl is fantastic. I'd say nicely done on both.

James Combs
06-18-2010, 9:40 PM
I like both pens but for different reasons. I like the maple because it is unique and the cigar for its great color and figure.

Billy Tallant
06-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Very nice looking pens. I also like that multicolored pen. It is a pleasing contrast between bottom & top.