View Full Version : Prepping concrete floor for Epoxy.

David Hostetler
06-18-2010, 3:42 PM
As I consider how I am planning on moving forward with my shop, and I read the responses to the BLO on shop floor thread, I started toying with the thought...

How do I get all this junk off the concrete floor?

I've got BLO, Poly, several different stains and latex paints, RTV, motor oil etc...

I do want to get everything OUT of the shop when I run power / insulate / put sheet rock up, and figured that would be a perfect time to lay down an epoxy coat on the floor. But just how on earth do I prep it?

I am not allergic to the concept of putting in sleepers, foam board insulation, and then a wood floor and THEN coating that... BUT that would mean I would lose headroom, which is not horrid, but not something I have to spare...

David Cefai
06-18-2010, 4:33 PM
http://www.epoxyproducts.com/slab4u.html

Something to bear in mind is whether the ground under the concrete is damp. If any moisture comes up through the concrete slab it will pop off the epoxy. There are special primers for this. For some wierd reason they are called "anti-osmosis" coatings.

bob frost
06-19-2010, 6:17 AM
I rented a large diamond floor grinder from Home Depot after giving up on the little floor buffer they rent. The diamond cutter did the job. Now I have moved and will rent it again. About $50 .00

John Neel
06-19-2010, 8:34 AM
Bob,
can you comment on using the diamond grinder. Does it require any particular skill? Is it hard to use? Any warnings or suggestions?

Thank you.

John Neel

Greg Woloshyn
06-19-2010, 12:01 PM
I suspect renting a floor grinder as the above person mentioned is near your only choice considering all the build up you have on the floor now. Not to mention you will get a much nicer finish if you grind it. A floor grinder would do the trick, I believe they are electric powered and just do the work while you hang on and direct it around the floor, doesn't look too difficult to handle.

I just finished my epoxy floor that I applied over fresh concrete. I went through all the steps for cleaning and prepping even though I thought the concrete was clean. You'd be amazed how much dirt actually washed away from brand new concrete.

bob frost
06-20-2010, 9:56 PM
I did not find it really difficult, Just turn it on and hang on for about an hour.

Brad Beam
06-20-2010, 10:48 PM
check out garagejournal.com There is a flooring section with lots of tips and ideas

Chris Padilla
06-22-2010, 9:03 PM
Most simply etch the garage floor with Muriatic Acid (pool acid--hydrocholric acid). If all those stains are well adhered after cleaning/etching, then they should be find to paint over with the epoxy.

Will Rowland
06-23-2010, 9:37 AM
Whatever initial prep method you use, make sure you as a final step you pressure wash the floor with at least a 3000 psi unit (not an electric one!). That's when you will really be amazed how much loose sand and grit will come out of the concrete.

If your surface isn't quite rough enough after grinding/etching, the pressure washing will roughen it up a bit more also.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-28-2010, 4:12 PM
Most simply etch the garage floor with Muriatic Acid (pool acid--hydrocholric acid). If all those stains are well adhered after cleaning/etching, then they should be find to paint over with the epoxy.

I used a high solids epoxy and it came up first where I had other things that had adhered (such as old paint)...... <sigh>. It also came up at cracks and similar.

I should have done a better job preparing my garage floor :confused: